Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Memory Lane

Happy Wanderer

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

The octagon once did a production 'Bolton Wanderers a musical documentary' must have been late sixties the one & only time I have ever attended that theatre .

My recollection was ok but never been a fan of musicals or opera for that matter 

I went to that on a school trip from BCGS but fucked if I can remember anything about it

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

It'll doubtless have appeared elsewhere but there's never a bad time to blow the dust off this video. Who was the minute's silence for?

Only one I can think of around that time was Matthew Harding, with him crashing his helicopter after we beat Chelsea

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, gonzo said:

Stupendous shout.

That Chelsea was the week before. 

Iirc it was announced as being to remember the Bolton season ticket holder who also died in the crash.

Not sure if I fell under my mower, or you were blown of your ladder we'd get the same treatment. :)

• Site Supporter

Not seen that Reading clip in years despite it having been posted on here numerous times.

i know football has changed but that team and that formation would still push the top 2 now.

roses tinted or not, they were fabulous to watch especially when on song. So lucky to have been in my prime watching that lot

Yeah was thinking about this last night while not being able to sleep, that's probably my favourite Bolton team I've seen. The 2003-2006 era runs it close and would probably have beaten them on the pitch (would be some game that) but the Championship winning side edges it. 

• Site Supporter

Honestly, I do think the current lot have similar togetherness but look at the quality that team had. No real weak link at all and many who went on to play plenty in the prem.

fairclough and Taggart is my fav centre half partnership of all time. Pass once and that’s you’re last time

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Honestly, I do think the current lot have similar togetherness but look at the quality that team had. No real weak link at all and many who went on to play plenty in the prem.

fairclough and Taggart is my fav centre half partnership of all time. Pass once and that’s you’re last time

I had it in my head that Fairclough played in midfield but then I wondered how on Earth he could do when Frandsen, Sellars, Sheridan, Thompson, Johansen and Pollock were around. Although on the Reading highlights Andy Todd and Taggart are both on the field at the same time as Fairclough?

I remember the last couple of seasons under Rioch and cried my eyes out when we got relegated in 1996 (despite the inevitability) but, as a 10/11 year old, that 96/97 team was the one that cemented me as a fan for life. 

• Members
On 26/09/2018 at 18:24, Happy Wanderer said:

Proper dust in the eye job for me that. So much time in my formative years were spent in that wonderful place. 

One incident that just came to mind was a hoofed clearance from a BW defender hitting the timber just under the roof of  the Wing Stand and a pointed stave falling and decking some poor sod who was then whisked away by the St. Johns blokes. Clear view (and many cheers!) from the baying mob in the Lever End!

• Members
On 26/09/2018 at 21:41, Take Hunt Off said:

The octagon once did a production 'Bolton Wanderers a musical documentary' must have been late sixties the one & only time I have ever attended that theatre .

My recollection was ok but never been a fan of musicals or opera for that matter 

Bernard the bullfrog starring!

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I had it in my head that Fairclough played in midfield but then I wondered how on Earth he could do when Frandsen, Sellars, Sheridan, Thompson, Johansen and Pollock were around. Although on the Reading highlights Andy Todd and Taggart are both on the field at the same time as Fairclough?

Fairclough definitely centre of defence and 1st choice alongside taggart

Seem to recall it was Todd who was used in midfield every now and again which wasn't often and normally off the bench