Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Zach Clough


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if you just said hi, instead of following them round the store with your knob hanging out?

I’ve already factored that in and also a small contribution from H as well

Not someone you'd want beside you in the trenches

  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, pato said:

He needed to be the focal point of the team when he played as Ozzie (have we settled on that yet?) plays off Magennis who knows Magennis is so much a better target man than Madine...

woah there tonto!

magennis has done ok. but madine is by far a better player...  and better target man for me.

magennis may win more headers, but i reckon madine could actually control it and bring more players into play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing was Clough was  set up in the team under Lennon and then Parky (1st time round).  

Messi at Rochdale would probably produce the same result (not that I am comparing Clough to Messi).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a nice lad clearly gifted and Wanderers through and through but lacked the physicality to be part of a struggling team. Luxury player perhaps more suited to a gentler pace maybe s abroad. Good luck to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HomerJay said:

is he really any worse than oz?

or to put another way, is oz really any better?

 

Yes clough was poor when he came back, but he barely had a chance in a struggling team... 

 

On the ball in the right situation with the right space? No.

But no chance of Clough ever putting in the same committed, disciplined performance, chasing the opposition down that Oz did Saturday - he’d run around without affecting anything. Didn’t have the strength on the ball Oz has either.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

 

On the ball in the right situation with the right space? No.

But no chance of Clough ever putting in the same committed, disciplined performance, chasing the opposition down that Oz did Saturday - he’d run around without affecting anything. Didn’t have the strength on the ball Oz has either.

 

 

He'd run around and no one would give him the ball. He was miles better when employed in his ideal position under Lennon before he lost the plot.

In half a season he went from a young debutant to a fans favourite and expected saviour the following season. Then not much time later was sold to keep the club afloat, clearly against what he really wanted.

Far too much pressure heaped on young shoulders, particularly when there were far more experienced players at the club who weren't earning their corn.

His career has taken a downturn since, but it's nonsense to say he wasn't good enough, when in his first season he showed he could play at this level.

Maybe he's lost something since and won't get back to where he once was, but he was a fine yound talent, and it's a great shame many others haven't shown the same desire to succeed for the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He'd run around and no one would give him the ball. He was miles better when employed in his ideal position under Lennon before he lost the plot.

In half a season he went from a young debutant to a fans favourite and expected saviour the following season. Then not much time later was sold to keep the club afloat, clearly against what he really wanted.

Far too much pressure heaped on young shoulders, particularly when there were far more experienced players at the club who weren't earning their corn.

His career has taken a downturn since, but it's nonsense to say he wasn't good enough, when in his first season he showed he could play at this level.

Maybe he's lost something since and won't get back to where he once was, but he was a fine yound talent, and it's a great shame many others haven't shown the same desire to succeed for the club.

On his premiership debut Mark Davies ran the midfield against Spurs. Point is Clough burst onto the scene and did well. So do many players, but perhaps teams found him out. He never physically developed and was easy to play once teams started knocking him off the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Traf said:

I might be swimming against the tide here, but I think too many Bolton fans see Clough through rose-tinted spectacles,

We did well to offload him for £3m.

Obviously time will tell, but as things stand, we've had Forest's trousers down. It will be interesting to see where he ends up when Forest release him on a free eventually

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Obviously time will tell, but as things stand, we've had Forest's trousers down. It will be interesting to see where he ends up when Forest release him on a free eventually

This is Wanderersways, mate.

None of this time will tell bullshit.

You HAVE to make a snap decision and then stand by it, even if you get proved gloriously wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Unfortunately, we'll never know how well he could have done with us; PP has his own style and ideas and Clough didn't fit in with that.

£3m was good value however, if it saved the club.

As for his well he could have done here, we'll never know.

We'll never know. But we do know he went for big money to a club with a manager who paid that sum and didn't make it. Then had another manager there who also didn't rate him. Now he's at Rochdale. Sometimes the truth is staring you in the face but you want to look away....

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We'll never know. But we do know he went for big money to a club with a manager who paid that sum and didn't make it. Then had another manager there who also didn't rate him. Now he's at Rochdale. Sometimes the truth is staring you in the face but you want to look away....

He went to Forest when Gary Brazil was keeping the manager’s chair warm. He played a fair bit and scored goals in his first season there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, enzo gambaro said:

He went to Forest when Gary Brazil was keeping the manager’s chair warm. He played a fair bit and scored goals in his first season there.

aye, he was 1 in 3 for us, and 1 in 3 in his first season at Forest

gone downhill since for whatever reason

he just needs the right move at the right time, hit form and all could look rosy again, it happens, like it did for Madine -  it took him 9 clubs to make any sort of impact in the Championship

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, he was 1 in 3 for us, and 1 in 3 in his first season at Forest

gone downhill since for whatever reason

he just needs the right move at the right time, hit form and all could look rosy again, it happens, like it did for Madine -  it took him 9 clubs to make any sort of impact in the Championship

He scored 2 goals in 13 games in his first season at Forest. 1 in 3?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

He scored 2 goals in 13 games in his first season at Forest. 1 in 3?

 

Wiki says 4 in 14, was going off that, so 1 in 3.5 then, if wiki is correct

If its not will assume Zach amended it to look better

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

Wiki says 4 in 14, was going off that, so 1 in 3.5 then, if wiki is correct

If its not will assume Zach amended it to look better

 

That is his record across his whole Forest career. 4 in 27 appearances. 14 starts. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

 

That is his record across his whole Forest career. 4 in 27 appearances. 14 starts. 

 

 

he got 4 in 14 in his first season

that's on wiki, and there's also much more detail on here:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/zach-clough/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/246351/verein/703

he scored his 4  goals in 4 games in March following his move in Jan, and got 2  assists - all in his first 9 games

then it all went downhill in his 2nd season - when he didn't score and barely got any game time, for whatever reason

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Managerial changes and a club spending but getting nowhere

We got Hobbs from them as apparently he's not good enough for them.

Got good reviews Saturday for us.

There was a reason forest coughed up £3m for the kid, it might not have worked for him, but his quality for us was a pleasure to behold.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unused sub tonight in a 0-0 draw although Rochdale did have a man sent off.

Clough scored some brilliant goals for us, gave us a glimmer of hope for something better during some very grim times and won't forget that. He's obviously lost his way a bit, but surely he's better than not making a Rochdale starting XI. Hope he finds his feet again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2018 at 09:14, Traf said:

This is Wanderersways, mate.

None of this time will tell bullshit.

You HAVE to make a snap decision and then stand by it, even if you get proved gloriously wrong.

You never get proved gloriously wrong, you just say look how many of you I got in the keepnet

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2018 at 14:53, bwfcfan5 said:

 

That is his record across his whole Forest career. 4 in 27 appearances. 14 starts. 

 

 

I remember you looking at the Donaldson stats differently to this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.