Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/09/2022 at 09:14, Big E said:

go to a running shop and get your gait checked first. 

I like mizuno wave riders for a neutral foot but it generally depends on what feels right. the wrong ones will be shit though so get it checked out 

100% agree on the running shop. Went to a runners need and they had me on a treadmill, recording me running and analysing the gait.

I went for a pair of Brooks and they’re the best pair of running shoes I’ve had. I used to do a lot of running at uni and then into my 20s and early 30s, so I’ve had a fair few pairs to compare. 

• 3 months later...

Lobbed around 8lb on over Christmas which is fine

Quick count up, celebrations X2, Terry's segments, quality street, roses, box of KP nuts, after 8s, 2 boxes of foxes biscuits,  loads of buffets, fuck loads of ale, 2 bottles of red

Chucked the rest out this morning while taking the decorations down 

Will hopefully shift the 8lb within a month or so, debating wether to run the MCR marathon again, also would like to do a ultra in the lakes 

Put on far too much weight over the last 12-18 months, never mind Christmas. So far away from getting down to my previous weight that I’ve ended up putting a load of my smaller clothes in vac pacs. Trying to do through to Feb 11th (Peterborough away) at 1,500 calories and then my wedding suit fitting might be a little less demoralising. 

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Put on far too much weight over the last 12-18 months, never mind Christmas. So far away from getting down to my previous weight that I’ve ended up putting a load of my smaller clothes in vac pacs. Trying to do through to Feb 11th (Peterborough away) at 1,500 calories and then my wedding suit fitting might be a little less demoralising. 

Get a bigger suit, mate. She loves you as you are. 
Don't make life any more miserable than it is.

• Moderators

I've forever hated running on treadmills

Nov/Dec I started doing 5ks on them before a strength session at the gym

started off at 27m 30s for 5k

got down to 24m 12s just before Christmas

did a road one just now and it took me bang on 30 mins, didn't really enjoy it

got a feeling I'm going to convert from road to treadmill this year

and more swimming

Hate treadmills - at my best was doing 21 mins for a 5k on the road, never got under 24 mins on a treadmill, even on flat - got bored stupid - and it fucked my knee up.

Now I'm stuck in the gym and I hate it - finally seeing someone at the end of the month about a knee scan and then get back outside again I hope.

Anyway - meeting and then another hour at the gym being totally bored.

• Site Supporter

Hated treadmills at work. The three-yearly fitness test started off as the Chester Step-Test. Up and down on a 30cm step at 15 steps/min, every 2 mins, increase rate by 5 beats/min.repeat until your heartbeat reaches 80% of your max theoretical heart rate. 

This was replaced by the Chester treadmill test. Set belt to 6.2km/hour on the level then increase angle by 3° every 2 minutes. Keep going until you reach 15°. I fucking hated it.

I find the treadmill good for regulating pace, but I prefer the fresh air and getting out on the road / paths in the park.

Can be a bit hard to get the motivation to do outdoor running when the weather is shit. If it’s too wet/icy/leaf-strewn, I stay clear.

What I’m missing is an adulterous neighbour to stalk on my runs.

55 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I find the treadmill good for regulating pace, but I prefer the fresh air and getting out on the road / paths in the park.

Can be a bit hard to get the motivation to do outdoor running when the weather is shit. If it’s too wet/icy/leaf-strewn, I stay clear.

What I’m missing is an adulterous neighbour to stalk on my runs.

How about a treadmill next to your patio doors?

Gym was shit as always.

Too many kids posing in front of mirrors with not an ounce of fat or muscle on them. Like watching twiglets show off to each other.

Going to get back to my lunchtime visit with the OAP blokes crew in attendance, more my scene.

The 70 odd year old bloke with the Millwall bandanna tied like Rambo is worth the membership alone.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Gym was shit as always.

Too many kids posing in front of mirrors with not an ounce of fat or muscle on them. Like watching twiglets show off to each other.

Going to get back to my lunchtime visit with the OAP blokes crew in attendance, more my scene.

The 70 odd year old bloke with the Millwall bandanna tied like Rambo is worth the membership alone.

Did a spin class tonight and there were only 3 people in. Two of those were me and the Mrs. New Year, New Me must start next week.

(First spin class I’ve done in about a month and a half and it was as if I’ve never done one before. Knackered)

I lost weight for the my wedding then found it again.

on a bit of a health kick from The 9th as I’ve got Boston Marathon in April and Berlin again in September (also my diabetes is fucked and I feel shit constantly)

ideally want to be running 10 to 15 kg lighter than previously. 

joined a gym that just does circuit training classes. Hopefully that keeps me motivated. Big test is going to be when I am working away again. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Gym was shit as always.

Bolty goes to your gym?

• Site Supporter

Letting the gym lapse, rubs out in March and I'll cancel soon as I can.

Got a bike for 40 quid, it's old battered but the brakes work, and I'm aiming to walk (dedicated walking) about 20 miles a week. I'd try r

Running but at my size it's going to cause damage and injury till i lose some. 

Managed 6.5 miles yesterday, legs are aching this morning, loop of little lever, along the canal to radcliffe and walk back. 

I've been putting off starting with one excuse or another although to be fair I've had a "chesty cough" since Xmas and I'm off on my hols week after next so I might make a start then. The missus wants me to play her sport - tennis - so I'll give it a shot if my breathing is fully sorted, but as she's the local club captain I'll do well to even compete.

Ideally I need to lose a couple of stones which has accumulated over the last year and is putting increased pressure on my knees when I play footie/run around kicking 20/30 somethings. Don't want to give up yet as I enjoy the social side as well as the footie itself (hence the weight) but if I don't lose some, my knees will go completely.

Another problem is that I've not done Pilates or Yoga since November and I'm starting to stiffen up - and that's the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned so plenty of stretching will be top of the agenda - once I'm on holiday.

Hopefully my efforts to stop the missus having the bragging rights will spur me on to great things.

8 hours ago, Big E said:

I lost weight for the my wedding then found it again.

on a bit of a health kick from The 9th as I’ve got Boston Marathon in April and Berlin again in September (also my diabetes is fucked and I feel shit constantly)

ideally want to be running 10 to 15 kg lighter than previously. 

joined a gym that just does circuit training classes. Hopefully that keeps me motivated. Big test is going to be when I am working away again. 

If you're working away, ideal time to go for your runs

It's free and no arising about finding a gym 

Edited by L/H White

19 minutes ago, L/H White said:

If you're working away, ideal time to go for your runs

It's free and no arising about finding a gym 

Yeha it’s the food issue mainly: hard to motivate yourself for a salad when you get to the hotel 

also would like to do a ultra in the lakes 

Do you have one in mind? I have a ridiculous urge to see if I've got one last Ultra in me. I'm giving myself a kick up the arse and trying to do RED (run every day) in January then I've entered the Anglezarke Amble 24 miler in Feb and will see if I stand a chance. 

1 hour ago, fishbulb said:

Do you have one in mind? I have a ridiculous urge to see if I've got one last Ultra in me. I'm giving myself a kick up the arse and trying to do RED (run every day) in January then I've entered the Anglezarke Amble 24 miler in Feb and will see if I stand a chance. 

The Lap Windermere, I've been looking at