Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

46 minutes ago, Big E said:

I run loads at slow pace just because that’s what I am a plodder. Todays was around 155 and I wasn’t out of breathe. 

I am doing around 40km a week at the minute. Gonna add two of these waddles in see how it goes replacing my 2 10km runs

80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald is a good book. Worth a read on the subject. Makes total sense. But sticking to it is hard work.

Did a run last weekend, 10km with hills. Mate beat me by about 50 seconds. His heart rate was 140. Mine was 167. He cycles loads as well as runs. I don’t. Can’t sustain running with a heart rate so high.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, royal white said:

Yes the Walkden one. One of the lads just beasts us all for a you don’t half get a sweat on .

4BA304CA-D9D9-43F2-B07B-3092EF41CAC1.thumb.jpeg.2ce7fa144e6c8a2a00afd03b24c33619.jpeg

182, kin ell 

I get as high as 172ish running on treadmill

Would pass out before I got near 182

14 minutes ago, Zico said:

182, kin ell 

I get as high as 172ish running on treadmill

Would pass out before I got near 182

Got to 187 a few weeks back 🥵 one of the lads who is now in his 50s is doing that hyrox training (like cross fit on steroids) in westhoughton. He it 190 yesterday 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, royal white said:

Got to 187 a few weeks back 🥵 one of the lads who is now in his 50s is doing that hyrox training (like cross fit on steroids) in westhoughton. He it 190 yesterday 

Your rate hits 190 when you’re typing on the Brexit thread 🥰😁😁

Edited by Spider

7 hours ago, royal white said:

far to high, could have heart isuess

general rule of thumb, is subtract your age from 220

11 hours ago, Big E said:

Anyone ever done “Zone 2” training. Starting doing some this week but it seems weird. Max heart rate will be 128 for me and apparently it’s proven science to increase fitness. Not convinced it will 

How are you measuring your heart rate?

If it's by using a running watch rather than a heart rate monitor it's not likely to be very accurate - mine occassionally tells me I've hit 200.

You might be better off using the Tinman calculator and running by pace.

https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

Obviously, any Zone 2 runs would be run at the "Easy" pace.

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

How are you measuring your heart rate?

If it's by using a running watch rather than a heart rate monitor it's not likely to be very accurate - mine occassionally tells me I've hit 200.

You might be better off using the Tinman calculator and running by pace.

https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

Obviously, any Zone 2 runs would be run at the "Easy" pace.

70% and 60% of max heart rate (183)

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, royal white said:

He picks and chooses, he’s usually doing some mad fitness event at weekends. He’s just absolutely beasted me. Was close to being sick. 🥵

That’s how you feel when Cheese has ruined you on here really ☺️

On 05/02/2023 at 20:07, Smiley said:

Less than 30 miles ran this year. Still struggling with a tight chest and a duff knee. And then pull a marathon out the bag at Grizedale forest today. Buzzing my chippy tits off tonight.

good going mate

few bits lined up this year

april 1st, back yard ultra around rivi, 4 miles every hour on the hour, if you dont start on the hour your gone, if you don't make it back before the hour your gone, if you get to hour 12, its a race

april 16th manchester marathon, far to close to the above, but oh well

looking at lisbon marathon in october

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

april 1st, back yard ultra around rivi, 4 miles every hour on the hour, if you dont start on the hour your gone, if you don't make it back before the hour your gone, if you get to hour 12, its a race

What’s the protocol for if you get back early each hour? Is there somewhere to keep warm, fuel up, etc? Have you got a support team?

I just need to focus on getting my knee right. Can’t run pumped with painkillers hoping for the best and unable to actually train. I 100% need to start yoga or Pilates.

41 minutes ago, Smiley said:

What’s the protocol for if you get back early each hour? Is there somewhere to keep warm, fuel up, etc? Have you got a support team?

I just need to focus on getting my knee right. Can’t run pumped with painkillers hoping for the best and unable to actually train. I 100% need to start yoga or Pilates.

rest for anytime you have left, drink eat rub the legs :D

mates dads coming, so will load his car up with stuff

might need a wheelcahir for wembley the day after :D

Edited by L/H White

8 hours ago, L/H White said:

might need a wheelcahir for wembley the day after :D

Good luck. 48 miles in 12 hours. Sounds rough! What’s the elevation for each loop?

I’ve got National 3 Peaks end of April. Hiking as opposed to running. Though I’m going to take my trail shoes just in case I get the urge! Not too concerned about the big lumps we’ve got to get up, more worried about my inability to sleep whilst in transit.

9 hours ago, Smiley said:

have you ever tried Neurokinetic therapy? ive been to  lass and shes sorted my hip out 

13 hours ago, L/H White said:

good going mate

few bits lined up this year

april 16th manchester marathon, far to close to the above, but oh well

looking at lisbon marathon in october

10 hours ago, Smiley said:

My mate does backyard ultras. 

He broke the world record ran for 334 miles and 75 hours in 2021 

Got a DNF as he came 'second' which isn't a thing. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a36671146/british-runner-breaks-backyard-ultra-world-record/

World record has been broken a few times since. 

3 hours ago, fishbulb said:

On the remote chance that anyone is interested, my night time fell race is coming up soon. Places still available:

https://www.dashers.org.uk/mr-sparkles-dark-un

I led a reccie run of it last night. That hurt.

I'm doing the Anglezarke Amble 24 miler on Saturday. That's really going to hurt. 

I think I'll sit this one out, but thanks.

On 10/02/2023 at 11:50, fishbulb said:

On the remote chance that anyone is interested, my night time fell race is coming up soon. Places still available:

https://www.dashers.org.uk/mr-sparkles-dark-un

I led a reccie run of it last night. That hurt.

I'm doing the Anglezarke Amble 24 miler on Saturday. That's really going to hurt. 

5 miler in the dark looks good! Did the Rivington Petzl one the other week, my first night race.

Former poster off here came 1st in the AA short 16 miler on Saturday I believe.

I managed just under 18 miles and over 4,000ft on Tuesday morning, up early, sunrise run from Hayfield around Cracken Edge, Mount Famine, Brown Knoll, Kinder and Lantern Pike. Was tough!

On 06/02/2023 at 00:18, royal white said:

That's a worry. I had a minor heart attack almost 20 years ago and am therefore on the usual daily drugs to keep my heart under control including ace inhibitors and beta blockers but I'm a generation older than the bloke you mention and whilst I don't run run (because of my knees and other aches and pains) I still do a lot of sport including footie twice a week with 20 to 30 year olds and I'm quick over 5 yards :) Anyhow because of my debauched lifestyle I needed to lose a couple of stone after Xmas - lost one playing tennis for 4 to 5 hours a day in Jamaica in January and then plateaud when I got back so have started back at the gym etc. Yesterday, after a lung-bursting hour on a cross trainer where I was pissing sweat and burning nearly 800 calories (according to the machine) my heart rate peaked at 138. OK the measurement isn't the best, but was wondering if serious runners would consider taking  beta blockers and ace inhibitors just to make sure they don't peg it? My late dad used to do a lot of marathons and he had to watch his mate collapse and die in front of him so I know it can happen - so why not take precautions?

On 17/02/2023 at 09:29, Wanderlust said:

That's a worry. I had a minor heart attack almost 20 years ago and am therefore on the usual daily drugs to keep my heart under control including ace inhibitors and beta blockers but I'm a generation older than the bloke you mention and whilst I don't run run (because of my knees and other aches and pains) I still do a lot of sport including footie twice a week with 20 to 30 year olds and I'm quick over 5 yards :) Anyhow because of my debauched lifestyle I needed to lose a couple of stone after Xmas - lost one playing tennis for 4 to 5 hours a day in Jamaica in January and then plateaud when I got back so have started back at the gym etc. Yesterday, after a lung-bursting hour on a cross trainer where I was pissing sweat and burning nearly 800 calories (according to the machine) my heart rate peaked at 138. OK the measurement isn't the best, but was wondering if serious runners would consider taking  beta blockers and ace inhibitors just to make sure they don't peg it? My late dad used to do a lot of marathons and he had to watch his mate collapse and die in front of him so I know it can happen - so why not take precautions?

Only just reading this. Bizarrely I’ve been in hospital this morning having an ECG, blood tests and chest x-ray after suffering from severe pains on the left side of my chest. Actually had my first ECG at home in the kitchen from Ambulance crew just 5 mins after I’d spoke to someone on the 111 line. Got the all clear, so not sure what the pains are, still getting them even now. But doctors were confident my heart and lungs plus arteries were all in good shape.

Are beta blockers and ace inhibitors something you can just readily buy and take without prescription?