Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

Sorry if there is already a books thread anywhere

BUT

I'm looking for recommendations for some really good reads, i'm bored of the same old rubbish to be honest, i'm looking for some good series' or even stand-alone books, preferably fiction, preferably not science fiction or romance.

I like a good series, but they seem to go stales after a while, think Lee Child / Jack Reacher, and the Tom Wood 'Victor' series - i need a fresh start on a completely new author or style.

All recommendations will be checked out and will be welcome ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can not be arsed with fictional books. If it's any good they will make a film. I hope this helps.

i'm on these at the minute. I've read the first 2 and about to start the 3rd

Shaun Attwood arrived in Phoenix, Arizona, a penniless business graduate from a small industrial town in England. Within a decade, he became a stock-market millionaire. But he was leading a double life.

After taking his first Ecstasy pill at a rave in Manchester as a shy student, Shaun became intoxicated by the party lifestyle that would change his fortune. Years later, in the Arizona desert, Shaun became submerged in a criminal underworld, throwing parties for thousands of ravers and running an Ecstasy ring in competition with the Mafia mass murderer Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Party-Time-Extraordinary-Confessions-Dealer-ebook/dp/B00BFTT6RI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546521442&sr=8-2&keywords=sean+attwood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Time-English-Shaun-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00OJZKUT8/ref=pd_cp_351_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OJZKUT8&pd_rd_r=e980d12f-0f59-11e9-b592-c9d5bbabcfe8&pd_rd_w=mdqPJ&pd_rd_wg=WMxWX&pf_rd_p=0ca7ef78-a9c4-4935-a8ff-59221f1ded3e&pf_rd_r=88493S3M5PQGHHYY4R89&psc=1&refRID=88493S3M5PQGHHYY4R89

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L3T7CNH/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

read most of the leather and kernick ones

ok, but do get samey

 

like dc wolfe, author tony parsons

 

aa dhands first was very good, second not so much - helps if you know the geography of bradford

 

 

im also a fan of a bit of icelandic, started with these 3 by yrsa sigurdardottir

Non-series novels

  • Ég man þig (2010) (English translation by Philip Roughton, I Remember You, UK:2012)
  • Kuldi (2012) (English translation by Victoria Cribb, The Undesired, UK:2015)
  • Lygi (2013) (English translation by Victoria Cribb, Why Did You Lie?, UK: 2016)
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Casino said:

read most of the leather and kernick ones

ok, but do get samey

 

like dc wolfe, author tony parsons

 

aa dhands first was very good, second not so much - helps if you know the geography of bradford

 

 

im also a fan of a bit of icelandic, started with these 3 by yrsa sigurdardottir

Non-series novels

  • Ég man þig (2010) (English translation by Philip Roughton, I Remember You, UK:2012)
  • Kuldi (2012) (English translation by Victoria Cribb, The Undesired, UK:2015)
  • Lygi (2013) (English translation by Victoria Cribb, Why Did You Lie?, UK: 2016)

Cheers will look into some of them 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to recommend somebody slightly less famous but relatively local (Liverpool/North Wales). Conrad Jones

I know of him because he used to work for McDonalds. He was working in Bridge St, Warrington when the IRA bomb went off.

His novels are mainly Crime Thrillers but he has done a couple of horrors too.

His Kindle books are dirt cheap really, especially if you buy one of the series'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conrad-Jones/e/B002BOBGRE/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1546532290&sr=8-2-ent 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Bill rogers. Di Caton series. Very readable and cheap. Free with kindle unlimited. 

 

Bill's a friend of mine, absolutely lovely bloke, I've not ready any of his books yet though (oops)

 

Fantasy wise, i can recommend loads...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Following on from the Stig Larsson trilogy [Dragon Tattoo etc] I have just got The Girl in The Spiders Web, The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye and pre ordered The girl Who Lived Twice, David Lagercrantz took over Larsson's writing mantle and he is supposed to be a decent writer. IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jo Nesbø - Norwegian - Harry Hole series.

Peter James - Roy Grace series.

The David Lagerkrantz Salander books aren't a patch on Larson's IMO.

Jeffrey Deaver - Lincoln Rhymes series.

HTH

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2019 at 13:21, L/H White said:

i'm on these at the minute. I've read the first 2 and about to start the 3rd

Shaun Attwood arrived in Phoenix, Arizona, a penniless business graduate from a small industrial town in England. Within a decade, he became a stock-market millionaire. But he was leading a double life.

After taking his first Ecstasy pill at a rave in Manchester as a shy student, Shaun became intoxicated by the party lifestyle that would change his fortune. Years later, in the Arizona desert, Shaun became submerged in a criminal underworld, throwing parties for thousands of ravers and running an Ecstasy ring in competition with the Mafia mass murderer Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Party-Time-Extraordinary-Confessions-Dealer-ebook/dp/B00BFTT6RI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546521442&sr=8-2&keywords=sean+attwood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Time-English-Shaun-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00OJZKUT8/ref=pd_cp_351_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OJZKUT8&pd_rd_r=e980d12f-0f59-11e9-b592-c9d5bbabcfe8&pd_rd_w=mdqPJ&pd_rd_wg=WMxWX&pf_rd_p=0ca7ef78-a9c4-4935-a8ff-59221f1ded3e&pf_rd_r=88493S3M5PQGHHYY4R89&psc=1&refRID=88493S3M5PQGHHYY4R89

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L3T7CNH/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

 

There's a few episodes of him and his mate on the True Geordie podcast if you're interested.

Couldn't help but get strong Billy Bullshitter vibes from him myself :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Attwood story on Banged up abroad was interesting but in a pretty grubby atttempt to milk it, the story was written over 3 books.

For Prison tales 'The damage done' as mentioned above and 'Forget you had a daughter' take some beating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

The Attwood story on Banged up abroad was interesting but in a pretty grubby atttempt to milk it, the story was written over 3 books.

For Prison tales 'The damage done' as mentioned above and 'Forget you had a daughter' take some beating.

just got the sample for that, cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.