Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Funeral Songs

MancWanderer

A bit morbid maybe but my last remaining auntie is on an end of life care pathway so will be attending her funeral shortly

Made me think what I'd want at my funeral. Would be........

• The Air That I Breathe (The Hollies) - as per the 78 promotion thread - memories of walking on to Burnden in 72/73 - one of the first singles that I ever bought - would be playing as everyone walks in
  • Abide With Me - not religious and hate hymns but fuck me that sends a shiver up my spine - was my Dad's only hymn at his funeral - he tried to describe to me once what it was like hearing that at the 53 and 58 FA Cup finals - 100,000 belting it out - would be the hymn during the service
  • White Man In Hammersmith Palais (The Clash)  - as the song of reflection for people to remember me by as my favourite song ever
  • You're Wondering Now (The Specials) - as an end to the service

Based the above on my ex Father-In-Law's funeral where it was 4 songs/hymns that had to be chosen

• Site Supporter

In the 1980s almost every funeral I attended had "God, be in my head" as one of the hymns. Nowadays you just don't hear it.

My dad went in with "Time to say goodbye" (Sara Brightman and Andre Boccelli) and out to "I did it my way." (Sinatra) 

2 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Im having 'This Is England' by The Clash on the way in and 'England' by The Angelic Upstarts on the way out.  Never heard them played before at a funeral.

And

you won’t (probably) hear them then!

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

A bit morbid maybe but my last remaining auntie is on an end of life care pathway so will be attending her funeral shortly

Made me think what I'd want at my funeral. Would be.......

• Abide With Me - not religious and hate hymns but fuck me that sends a shiver up my spine - was my Dad's only hymn at his funeral - he tried to describe to me once what it was like hearing that at the 53 and 58 FA Cup finals - 100,000 belting it out - would be the hymn during the service.

My favourite. Sensational.

Not too long after my old fella left us, I was on holiday. We'd pulled up somewhere and lad and wife had nipped out of the car to buy something.

Abide with me came on (cd/radio). Was in bits for a bit.

Anyway, I've told them to have "Gabriel's oboe" ( main theme from the mission). Owt else they can chose.

Going Underground.

I went to a funeral in Bolton a few years ago and the chap being cremated had been involved in the snooker leagues around Bolton for over 50 years. The music played as the curtains parted. It did get a few strange looks form folk who didn't get the link.