Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

41 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

That would bring us back the old conspiracy theories from Gartsides era 

My opinion hasn’t changed a great deal on that matter, whilst I’m sure you could scratch the surface and uncover some small scale unsavoury practices on the whole I think it was all above board 

We had annual audits from a top 4 accountancy firm, Deloitte wasn’t it? One of the first things Ken did was get rid of them for a small local firm. I doubt an auditor of that calibre wouldn’t find any serious malpractice 

You’ve also got to think that ED knew his onions, it was his money at the end of the day. I doubt he would have allowed serious fraud to take place 

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/30/deloitte-fined-by-malaysia-over-breach-linked-to-1mdb

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5792545/Deloitte-faces-10m-fine-tech-scandal-Autonomy-HP.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/justice-dept-fines-deloitte-1495-million-for-taylor-bean-whitaker-audits-2018-02-28

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/accountancy-firm-deloitte-fined-14-million-over-mg-rover-collapse

Actually Deloitte make Ken seem like Mother Theresa. Not to mention an expensive option for an accountant.

11 minutes ago, Boothy said:

You’ve gone some way to proving my point, if Deloitte has been part of some wider conspiracy then the later forensic audit that Gonzo is talking about carried out by a different firm would have brought this up surely meaning they would have been in hot water themselves as they were in your links? 

If the conspiracy theories are to be believed and this was proven by a forensic audit then its prosecutions, stuff that legally can’t be buried as people would be conpelled by law to report it 

I just can’t see it, not on anywhere near the scale that has been made out 

Edited by birch-chorley

2 minutes ago, Nowack said:

. I doubt an auditor of that calibre wouldn’t find any serious malpractice 

Carillion?

I’m not up to speed on the Carillion case but thought it was just poor accountancy practices rather than covering up anything illegal? 

The conspiracy theories against PG were indicating embezzlement and all that 

8 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’m not up to speed on the Carillion case but thought it was just poor accountancy practices rather than covering up anything illegal? 

The conspiracy theories against PG were indicating embezzlement and all that 

IMHO I would have said that both PG and Eddie did a far bit of creative accountancy nothing illegal but they sailed close to the wind

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Nowack said:

. I doubt an auditor of that calibre wouldn’t find any serious malpractice 

Carillion?

An auditor worth his salt wouldn’t be disclosing that info to their families let alone people where it gets back to supporters.

without confidentiality, you are nothing

55 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

You’ve gone some way to proving my point, if Deloitte has been part of some wider conspiracy then the later forensic audit that Gonzo is talking about carried out by a different firm would have brought this up surely meaning they would have been in hot water themselves as they were in your links? 

If the conspiracy theories are to be believed and this was proven by a forensic audit then its prosecutions, stuff that legally can’t be buried as people would be conpelled by law to report it 

I just can’t see it, not on anywhere near the scale that has been made out 

Where did I say anything ilegal was going on? 

When did Deloitte say the accounts weren’t mess?

KA said about 300 times how much work was needed to sort contracts out that were agreed way before his time.

Wed just racked up £180m worth of paper debt and was facing insolvency due to severe mismanagement from those is charge. I really don’t know how you can dispute this.

Gartside had company after company registered at bolton and subsequently dissolved. There was another lass with he same who bailed at the first sign of shit.

It was a basket case that nobody wanted to touch. 

28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Where did I say anything ilegal was going on? 

When did Deloitte say the accounts weren’t mess?

KA said about 300 times how much work was needed to sort contracts out that were agreed way before his time.

Wed just racked up £180m worth of paper debt and was facing insolvency due to severe mismanagement from those is charge. I really don’t know how you can dispute this.

Gartside had company after company registered at bolton and subsequently dissolved. There was another lass with he same who bailed at the first sign of shit.

It was a basket case that nobody wanted to touch. 

My reply was to someone else Gonzo, I did however quote your piece about a Forensic audit but I’ve never said your implying anything illegal 

Whilst your not indicating something illegal the conspiracy theories around PG’s running of the club did do. I just can’t see it, if there was something illegal going on the many audits and furensic audits would have uncovered it and been compelled to report it surely 

If the theory is that PG was setting up companies registered at the ground, to take money from the club then I also doubt this as well. Again it would have been pulled up in a decent audit. That and I don’t think ED was that stupid to allow someone to essentially steal from him on an industrial scale from under his own nose 

3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

My reply was to someone else Gonzo, I did however quote your piece about a Forensic audit but I’ve never said your implying anything illegal 

Whilst your not indicating something illegal the conspiracy theories around PG’s running of the club did do. I just can’t see it, if there was something illegal going on the many audits and furensic audits would have uncovered it and been compelled to report it surely 

If the theory is that PG was setting up companies registered at the ground, to take money from the club then I also doubt this as well. Again it would have been pulled up in a decent audit. That and I don’t think ED was that stupid to allow someone to essentially steal from him on an industrial scale from under his own nose 

Fair enough mate but I like others believe PG sailed ridiculously close to the wind.

He was nailed by panorama and should’ve been nailed in court by that pissed up agent. Even the judge said the figures we were paying out were eye watering. It was all about kick backs imo. Same with the astronomical contracts handed out elsewhere to companies across the board.

We were paying well over the odds for everything. 

A lot of ED debts was also made up of loans to club made against player evaluations etc which of course we also well over the odds.

It was a shambles that nearly saw us go under. 

I don’t envy anyone having to go in and sort that lot out and somehow manage to balance the books.

KA went in and stopped everything and went through every single outgoing and contract with a fine tooth comb helped with a forensic accountant firm. That’s why your carpet cleaners and joiners for the suite refuebs and such didn’t get paid. It upset a lot of folk but it was a necessary evil. 

PG was as bent as they come, and on whole had bolton at heart. But it He fluttered everything in the pot away and lined his own pockets along the way and left one sorry mess behind. Hence like I said before, nobody would touch us with a barge pole. 

35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fair enough mate but I like others believe PG sailed ridiculously close to the wind.

He was nailed by panorama and should’ve been nailed in court by that pissed up agent. Even the judge said the figures we were paying out were eye watering. It was all about kick backs imo. Same with the astronomical contracts handed out elsewhere to companies across the board.

A lot of ED debts was also made up of loans to club made against player evaluations etc which of course we also well over the odds.

I don’t envy anyone having to go in and sort that lot out and somehow manage to balance the books.

KA went in and stopped everything and went through every single outgoing and contract with a fine tooth comb helped with a forensic accountant firm. That’s why your carpet cleaners and joiners for the suite refuebs and such didn’t get paid. It upset a lot of folk but it was a necessary evil. 

PG was as bent as they come, and on whole had bolton at heart. But it He fluttered everything in the pot away and lined his own pockets along the way and left one sorry mess behind. Hence like I said before, nobody would touch us with a barge pole. 

What your implying isn’t sailing close to the wind, it’s massively illegal and comes with a lot of jail time. You talking bribery and corruption laws being broken, that’s before you even get to tax evasion. Your not talking about a couple of drinks being thrown in to get a deal done 

If any forensic auditor did uncover tyat then I’m sure they would be compelled by law to alert the authorities to those crimes otherwise they are complicit in the crime 

I agree he lined his own pockets, he did so with his £500k a year salary, I don’t think he embezzled millions more on top of it, I just can’t see it 

i agree that we handed out contracts that we shouldn’t have, the Ben Amos one baffles me to this day as it was so close us going bump. Then again Ken agreed to pay Forest Green the thick end of £1m a couple of months before he struggled to pay the Tea lady three and six so he doesn’t have clean hands on that front either 

I’m not having it that Ken couldn’t pay for the suite refurb because of PG. the guy I know who was stiffed on the refurb had nowt to do with PG and carried out his work long after Ken had taken over, it’s a bit too convenient for me 

I appreciate that Ken has managed to bring our outgoings down,  but in reality what has he done apart from not renew hefty player contracts. Its hardly alchemy 

Edit - credit to Ken where it’s due, he get some decent money for player sales, £7m for Madine is ducking alchemy 

Edited by birch-chorley

53 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Just watching that now. think i missed it when it was on

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

I’m not sitting through 90 minutes of a panorama from 15 years ago 

I might be wrong but I thought PG was on camera trying to sell Okocha, can’t recall them having anything on him, I thought it was a bit of a storm in a tea cup 

from memory, the whole thing was a storm in a teacup. Pretty sure nowt happened to anyone as a result of Panorama's "evidence".

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

I might be wrong but I thought PG was on camera trying to sell Okocha, can’t recall them having anything on him, I thought it was a bit of a storm in a tea cup 

The only thing Panorama came up with in this pathetic excuse for investigative journalism was Sam Allardyce allegedly  'liking a deal',  setting up his not too bright son as  a  football agent and the club being willing to listen to offers for JJ Okocha when approached by a bogus agent.

There are 44 football clubs  under investigation by HMRC for historic transgressions. So far as I am aware BWFC isn't one of them but you can bet your boots it would be if there had been irregularities.

5 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye, pretty much, not that far in. The bit that i've seen so far just shows him trying to sell Okocha (contracts in tow) and then turning around and blaming the agent in the newspapers at a later date. It's pretty shit I'm gonna give up.

That Harrison bloke is comedy.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye

Basically they had PG saying one thing in private and another in public

With a load of innuendo and conjecture to make you think him and fat Sam were corrupt

9 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

What your implying isn’t sailing close to the wind, it’s massively illegal and comes with a lot of jail time. You talking bribery and corruption laws being broken, that’s before you even get to tax evasion. Your not talking about a couple of drinks being thrown in to get a deal done 

If any forensic auditor did uncover tyat then I’m sure they would be compelled by law to alert the authorities to those crimes otherwise they are complicit in the crime 

He died. 

12 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

IMHO I would have said that both PG and Eddie did a far bit of creative accountancy nothing illegal but they sailed close to the wind

in your humble opinion based on what? I've been a qualified accountant and auditor for over forty years and, as an interested party, have carefully read Burnden Leisure's Annual Report and Audited Accounts for the last twenty and haven't detected anything remotely consistent with your humble opinion let alone the criminality alleged by others.

There are inconsistencies between documents Dean Holdsworth has signed off and filed at Companies House compared with statements in Burnden Leisure accounts that he  also signed off but that is a different a story  and more likely due to carelessness rather than anything else.

Edited by Chris Custodiet