Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

10 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I agree, there was plenty space behind the Embankment, Manchester Road stand and Burnden side to build bigger stands if the desire was there.My favourite Bolton memories were from the Sam era rather than the Greaves or Rioch eras but i think that could have been achieved at Burnden.I think Djorkaeff and Okocha were attracted  to  Sam Allardyce's plans for the team and the wage packet rather than the nice stadium.The wage packet came from the extra Sky money not because of  extra revenue from playing in a different ground.

Never notice how much piling they did just to build the Normid ?

There just doesn't seem to be any answer and it's the 80s or worse all over again. I don't know what the running costs of the Reebok are or how that would compare to a ground elsewhere but either way I suspect on League 1 income and crowds it is not sustainable.

In hindsight building a hotel that is part of the fabric of the stadium rather than stand alone probably wasn't the greatest idea particularly as it is also loss making.

15 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Is Holy Harbour still standing in Halliwell? 

I don't see why any of the above means we have to adopt league 1 hoof ball. Can't we strip right back and do a Crewe academy type thing minus all the noncery 

Houses on it now

Almost the home ground of a founder member of the football league. 

8 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

What the actual fuck is that Lord Of The Rings inspired, terribly written letter that's been published in the BN?

https://mobile.twitter.com/abbersbolton/status/1123514030923091968

Utter gibberish.

She’s on Facebook. Been going on about looking into the legality and insurance of getting her mates team to fulfill our fixtures. Proper fruit loop. 😂

12 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Supposedly Shaun Harvey has said Anderson was behind the 48 hour extension for Bassini. 

IF he was, it's presumably one of the "options" he mentioned - not what was expected but I imagine his advisors are devoid of any other ideas other than give it more time and hope for the best, despite the problems continuing to pile up. Bit of a sidestep from the ultimatum Anderson came out with last week though. God knows what's really happening.

7 minutes ago, maje said:

She’s on Facebook. Been going on about looking into the legality and insurance of getting her mates team to fulfill our fixtures. Proper fruit loop. 😂

Fucking hell fire. Tinpot FC.

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Re-developing Burnden was not an option. 

The issue is not where the stadium is or its size or anything else. Its the fact that the Burnden Leisure business cannot be supported by the size of the football club anymore. And that business loses money. And Bolton as a large town only manages to attract a tiny percentage of its population as fans - especially when the chips are down. 

Its time the assets that aren't football related were sold off - or potentially run by someone very savvy who is able to turn them into profit making operations, and the core football business scaled back to what the town is prepared/able to support (again unless there is a rich benefactor in play) - and that probably means mid table league one hoofball with a manager trying to get the best out of an incredibly limited cheap group of players.Because that is honestly where the club is right now.

If we have a savvy owner and a good manager in  time we might progress. But we've spent too long chasing unlikely salvation. It takes years and years to sort a sustainable youth setup that contributes to the first team at required quality. It probably means spending time funding that over and above the first team. Which means a few seasons of ugly lower league grind at best. 

Reality has to kick in at some point. I would have though it might have kicked in a few years back, but seemingly not. 

Our average home attendances this season are higher than one Premier League club, eight in the Championship and 21 clubs in League One.

I get some of those have rich benefactors, but plenty don't and so I don't buy the idea that the natural order of things would leave us in League One obscurity.

I don't want to sound like folk in another thread on here, but people seem to be down on the size of this club and where we stand relative to other teams. Last time we were in League One we were fresh off nearly going to the wall, and if we'd started on -12 we'd still have had more points than Millwall who went up.

14 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Our average home attendances this season are higher than one Premier League club, eight in the Championship and 21 clubs in League One.

I get some of those have rich benefactors, but plenty don't and so I don't buy the idea that the natural order of things would leave us in League One obscurity.

I don't want to sound like folk in another thread on here, but people seem to be down on the size of this club and where we stand relative to other teams. Last time we were in League One we were fresh off nearly going to the wall, and if we'd started on -12 we'd still have had more points than Millwall who went up.

Those attendance figures aren't representative in my view. Every time I've compared the announced figure with the eye test there's been a big gap, because a lot of season ticket holders have stopped attending but the club continues to count them in the figure. How many of them will buy again next year?

Edited by ProfessorWoland

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Training ground closed to all academny teams / dev teams / Town teams till further notice.

Are the first team attending training?

Or are they just refusing to play matches.....anyone know?

Seems that we are pretty fucked whichever way this goes.

Bassini is most likely depending on some dodgy funding strategy. Which will mean kicking this mess down the road and it’ll probably bite us in the arse harder than it is now in a few years.

More sensible bidders seem to be waiting for admin which in itself sets us back significantly for next season and perhaps longer.

I think most would rather sort out the debts in admin than gamble on Bassini but it seems whichever way we go, there’s not going to be an end to the unpleasantness.

13 minutes ago, Daveh said:

Are the first team attending training?

Or are they just refusing to play matches.....anyone know?

Not sure on the first team mate.

Just know about all young teams that use the facility.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

What the actual fuck is that Lord Of The Rings inspired, terribly written letter that's been published in the BN?

https://mobile.twitter.com/abbersbolton/status/1123514030923091968

Utter gibberish.

soon as I saw the words "open letter to the EFL" I stopped reading

if you want to write a letter to the EFL, do so

if you want to write a letter to the BN, then don't cal it an open letter

if you want to do a long rant on FB for your mates to read knowing full well the "intended recipient" will never actually read it, because they aren't your friend, you're a twat

1 hour ago, ProfessorWoland said:

Those attendance figures aren't representative in my view. Every time I've compared the announced figure with the eye test there's been a big gap, because a lot of season ticket holders have stopped attending but the club continues to count them in the figure. How many of them will buy again next year?

If we still have a club, 3.5k - 4k would be my guess

29 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Seems that we are pretty fucked whichever way this goes.

Bassini is most likely depending on some dodgy funding strategy. Which will mean kicking this mess down the road and it’ll probably bite us in the arse harder than it is now in a few years.

More sensible bidders seem to be waiting for admin which in itself sets us back significantly for next season and perhaps longer.

I think most would rather sort out the debts in admin than gamble on Bassini but it seems whichever way we go, there’s not going to be an end to the unpleasantness.

id favour admin now and a decant new owner to go with it that will rebuild the club up. could be more exiting then prem years. after next season.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, sleepingindian said:

id favour admin now and a decant new owner to go with it that will rebuild the club up. could be more exiting then prem years. after next season.

It's getting that way. At least we'd know where we stand and can move on and not have it dragging on into summer.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's getting that way. At least we'd know where we stand and can move on and not have it dragging on into summer.

Admin need not be a disaster, 2016/17 season Sheff Utd lost first 4 games= 12 points, pissed the league so let's not give up just yet.