Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

16 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Are you so sure now?

Considering Bassini’s track record with promises - that he’s in control of the club, he’d get the Brentford game on and probably more that I’ve forgotten - I’m certainly not convinced by two articles from the BN and the Sun that Bassini’s offer is/was the best, considering it’s all based on what he’s said without any proof.

Why would the administrators show any bias to FV if Bassini genuinely had more money? Even if they did have bias you could argue that Bassini doesn’t have a reputable past especially in footballing terms. 

All he’s done is spout a load of shit again without anything to back it up.

if YOU or HE can prove otherwise then I’ll happily take back what I said.

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

They were plenty good enough

Reckon at the start of that season, collectively, the vast amount of games the squad had played were at PL or championship level as opposed to league one or two

I might even spend an hour or so working it out this week if I'm not busy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36930017

our starting 11 for first game of the season. Not many gone on and had great careers anywhere else at a decent level  

If for some unfathomable the FV bid was not the best surely that is an issue for the administrator not the club ? 

Damocles is really coming across as a pathetic wind up merchant. He was on here at one time saying Basini had failed to provide adequate security. 

4 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Is this the same Alan Nixon who wrote an article as recently just two months ago telling us that we had debts of £41.6m.

Good luck to Bassini if he's got that PLUS the money to run the club currently still trading at a loss PLUS fund a new squad consisting of ex-Premier League players.

He needs upwards of £50m immediately if you believe what Mr Nixon writes/tweets.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4196606/bolton-41-6m-cash-strapped-brink-of-administration/

I’ve had 7 bottles of  magners and a few beers in the red lion but the club’s debt to MJ not be grounds for concern here?

...as in that’s why FV’s bid was approved over an Emerson Jones/some other rich fucker bid?

not sure how it works like.

Where have all these cunts been for the past 4 years by the way? 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

...as in that’s why FV’s bid was approved over an Emerson Jones/some other rich fucker bid?

not sure how it works like.

Where have all these cunts been for the past 4 years by the way? 

The Emerson Jones/some other rich fucker bid is only a rumour so far.

Can only assume that there are more interested parties now due to us being cheaper to buy out of admin.

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

It is when you're comparing the relative quality of squads in the same league and as such setting expectations for how they will get on

It's how you're confidently able to say something's like "we are better than Scunthorpe"

But that’s the problem. It doesn’t tell you that. You can have a squad of ex premiership failures up against a squad of lads plucked from non league football. The latter may well be better than the former. 

• Site Supporter

MJ’s (PJP) security was always against the car park area and this will get developed at some stage as it isn’t being fully utilised now. 

MJ isn’t a charity, he cares deeply about the club but FFS, this guy has paid bills since Gartside’s time.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

But that’s the problem. It doesn’t tell you that. You can have a squad of ex premiership failures up against a squad of lads plucked from non league football. The latter may well be better than the former. 

Ex premiership failures could be decent championship players

Plucked from non league could be standard league two players

The latter might beat the former in one game but over a season you'd expect the former to perform better 

I'm not sure what the point is though in trying to make on it was a shit squad other than to big up PP

It wasn't a shit squad by league one standards and it came second

31 minutes ago, Steejay said:

MJ’s (PJP) security was always against the car park area and this will get developed at some stage as it isn’t being fully utilised now. 

MJ isn’t a charity, he cares deeply about the club but FFS, this guy has paid bills since Gartside’s time.

Sorry to correct you but it wasn't.

It's clearly shown in the audited accounts for the Hotel as a loan of £5.5m specifically against that.

See the entry for the 25th July, 2017 (Full accounts to 30 June 2016) click on the PGF and see Auditors Notes No15 - Loans and Overdraughts on page 18. and again in the following years accounts on page 28.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03674979/filing-history

There was a separate loan against one of the Car Parks taken out by Trevor Birch but this was unable to be redeemed when it fell due and the ownership then reverted to PJP/James.

3 hours ago, Ani said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36930017

our starting 11 for first game of the season. Not many gone on and had great careers anywhere else at a decent level  

Beevers and Wheater were both voted into the PFA League One Team of the season, so the other professionals thought we had the best two central defenders in the division.

6 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

The latter might beat the former in one game but over a season you'd expect the former to perform better 

I'm not sure what the point is though in trying to make on it was a shit squad other than to big up PP

Itll be to big parki

7 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

See you are conflating where they’ve played with how good they are. When we were in league one Dack was a better midfield player than anyone we had on the books. That is in no way controversial. He’d not played above league one at the time. 

What matters is not the history of the players but how good they are at that particular point in time. Spearing is a good case in point. Played premiership football. Played champions league. But after leaving us ended up back in league one. In reality he found his level.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

See you are conflating where they’ve played with how good they are. When we were in league one Dack was a better midfield player than anyone we had on the books. That is in no way controversial. He’d not played above league one at the time. 

What matters is not the history of the players but how good they are at that particular point in time. Spearing is a good case in point. Played premiership football. Played champions league. But after leaving us ended up back in league one. In reality he found his level.

I am yes, it's as good a benchmark as most for assessing a team's prospects ahead of the season - there's a reason Cardif & Fulham are amongst the favourites for the championship and barnsley and charlton are favourites for the drop

we'd had a shit season prior to that, but the players in that squad had previously shown at the championship level and above that they could play to a decent level

we had some shite runs but when we hit form we looked very good that season at that level, because we had a good team

and yes, PP being a good league one manager was part of that, so I don't get why there are still folk claiming we weren't that good by league one standards

it wasn't luck that got us promoted

27 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I am yes, it's as good a benchmark as most for assessing a team's prospects ahead of the season - there's a reason Cardif & Fulham are amongst the favourites for the championship and barnsley and charlton are favourites for the drop

we'd had a shit season prior to that, but the players in that squad had previously shown at the championship level and above that they could play to a decent level

we had some shite runs but when we hit form we looked very good that season at that level, because we had a good team

and yes, PP being a good league one manager was part of that, so I don't get why there are still folk claiming we weren't that good by league one standards

it wasn't luck that got us promoted

By league one standards we had players people had heard of. But they were also players who had failed here for year after year. And most had issues. Davies' injuries. Wheater's back and loss of any pace. Spearing's inability to recapture his best form.

We went into the season with a tiny squad that we had to bolster during an embargo. So I don't think promotion was in any way "straightforward" or guaranteed. 

And those players we had, how many are playing above league one now? 

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

By league one standards we had players people had heard of. But they were also players who had failed here for year after year. And most had issues. Davies' injuries. Wheater's back and loss of any pace. Spearing's inability to recapture his best form.

We went into the season with a tiny squad that we had to bolster during an embargo. So I don't think promotion was in any way "straightforward" or guaranteed. 

And those players we had, how many are playing above league one now? 

Flip it.

Our competitors that year (Fleetwood, Scunthorpe, Bradford etc.) by what logic did they have better players?

They were on less money and by and large hadn't played at as high a level, hadn't achieved as much in their careers, haven't gone on to become established Championship/Premier League players and finished below us that year.

11 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Flip it.

Our competitors that year (Fleetwood, Scunthorpe, Bradford etc.) by what logic did they have better players?

They were on less money and by and large hadn't played at as high a level, hadn't achieved as much in their careers, haven't gone on to become established Championship/Premier League players and finished below us that year.

Flip it again...the reason we went up was down to signing a Bradford reserve who couldn't get into their first team....

And the point I'm making is that apart from Madine none of our players have gone on to become established championship or higher level have they? 

Zach Clough did well for us for that half season - now can't get in Rochdale's team. 

Lets look at the team against Sheffield United - first day of that season and see where they are now...

Mark Howard - League one

Lawrie Wilson - Non league

Mark Beevers - League one

David Wheater - Unattached

Dean Moxey - League two

Chris Taylor- Unattached

Jay Spearing - League one

Josh Vela - Unattached

Lewis Buxton - Unattached (hasn't played since playing for us)

Darren Pratley - Championship 

Gary Madine - Championship

Bench: Amos (Unattached), Proctor (League one), Derik (Segunda), Davies (retired), Trotter (USA), Woolery (league 2), Walker (league 2)

Does that list of names and their subsequent careers scream that we had a team ready made to conquer league one? Full of stars?