Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

But if Sam was seen by ED as someone who was demanding more and more to spend window after window and offering to resign if not given the cash...you can see why ED at the time might have thought - no I have to make a stand. 

There was a lot to it and neither side were completely in the right.

Again, he wasn’t asking for more & more the budget was already agreed (£10m) and targets identified. He asked for it to be brought forward 5 months in order to push for CL

hardly holding a gun to ED head to empty the safe. And it wasn’t, give me the money or I go. After he was told No he went away and came to the conclusion that he’d done all he could and it was the end of the road

then informed PG 

4 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I think he mentioned this in his latest statement

something along the lines of him only getting back what he’s paid and not getting any profit? 

He might not get the £472K but I still expect to see 2018 consultancy fees that will adequately recompense him for three years effort.

BTW I agree with David Speakman about Ken's failure to apologise to the staff in good time.

3 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

How many of his subsequent clubs have matched those ambitions?

His only ambition throughout his career has been to make more money.

He clearly felt he could get us to the CL and that’s where he felt he should’ve been operating

whether he was living in cloud cuckoo land and his ego was greater than his talent isn’t really the debate. We were 4th he asked for financial backing to keep us there and he never got it so felt he had to go somewhere else to match those ambitions. Players do it everyday 

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Again, he wasn’t asking for more & more the budget was already agreed (£10m) and targets identified. He asked for it to be brought forward 5 months in order to push for CL

hardly holding a gun to ED head to empty the safe. And it wasn’t, give me the money or I go. After he was told No he went away and came to the conclusion that he’d done all he could and it was the end of the road

then informed PG 

Whatever else Sam did after leaving BWFC he reached his zenith with BWFC nothing could compare with what he achieved with us, I just wish we as a club could have handled Sam better, perhaps giving him shares in the club to keep Sam onside, its all water under the bridge now but I wish it could have gone on longer. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

then informed PG 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's a shame that it became so personal and bitter though. Convinced it affected both men, to their detriment.

It was about Gartside's ego & Sam's ego. Gartside was always on the TV, pushing himself with the FA/Premier league & he was jealous of Sam's publicity. We know that Sam loves himself but tbf, he produced the results for us - little Bolton. ED was in the background & he was a bit naive about how he let PG play with his money so much - he was too nice a guy to suspect that anything might be getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think that is possible along with the club still owing KA 5M...

But will almost certainly be up for a legal challenge. Which could take years. 

However, I'm unsure what deal ED's trustees would cut with Ken - unless they are trying to safeguard the club. I still though in that scenario fail to see how that would be advantageous to Ken over the other option....

I would have thought they ( and they would presumably be supported by Brett Warburton and Michael James on this  ) would point out to Ken and his solicitor that he has knowingly traded the club whilst it is insolvent which would potentially have serious consequences for him as a director  , and would be threatening to put the club into administration and pointing out that in that scenario he would get nothing . 

Therefore accept whatever figure they are prepared to offer as an alternative to nothing , so take the money sign this NDA and go back to Monaco and behave yourself

Ken will keep throwing his toys out of the pram until he realises they are not bluffing and will eventually settle at an agreed sum 

Presumably at the same time they will be looking to sell on Kens shares to an agreed buyer for a nominal sum providing at some point in the future that agreement incorporates a repayment plan for them to get their monies back . None of them want to run a football club - they just want their money back and I would guess have waited this long for it they will work with the new owner and not demand immediate repayment if that's what it takes to get a deal over the line

Would trust them to act in the clubs best interests ahead of Ken all day long 

3 minutes ago, Steejay said:

It was about Gartside's ego & Sam's ego. Gartside was always on the TV, pushing himself with the FA/Premier league & he was jealous of Sam's publicity. We know that Sam loves himself but tbf, he produced the results for us - little Bolton. ED was in the background & he was a bit naive about how he let PG play with his money so much - he was too nice a guy to suspect that anything might be getting out of hand.

Absolutely. Clash of the Ego’s. Sam offering to leave at the end of the season and PG insisting he go now was all about Ego 

and it was all to the detriment of the club. Again 

1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

If someone buys BWFC today and installs a new manager and invests enough money to get us back in the Premier League where do we go from there?

With BSA we got into Europe but couldn’t get any further, if you are the owner at that point  what do you do next? Don’t think you could sell the club at that point and if you are not prepared to put more money in the only way is down, this model doesn’t work

It works for Burnley and they should be the blueprint for "smaller" clubs punching above their weight.

They don't pay a lot for players, but they sell players for decent money, they don't pay massive wages and their ground is almost full every week in the Premier League.

Oh, and they have a decent manager.

Everything i'd like to see happen to us.

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Whatever else Sam did after leaving BWFC he reached his zenith with BWFC nothing could compare with what he achieved with us, I just wish we as a club could have handled Sam better, perhaps giving him shares in the club to keep Sam onside, its all water under the bridge now but I wish it could have gone on longer. 

Correct and I think any success with us is / would’ve been valued higher in his eyes than with any other club he’d been at 

just ended up being a shame really 

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. He wanted the England job.  Didn't get it and blamed Garty. He had 650,000 shares in Burnden Leisure which became worthless when ED took over. He was as close to clueless as makes no difference about business finance and wanted to follow the path that had brought Leeds United to ruin.

He would later claim that the club had £45million debt when he joined it.Total nonsense but it was close to it when he left. He would also imply that the club was in a mess when he arrived when the truth was that he inherited a squad of  players that we could only dream of today and that had  convincingly won  three out of the four games played under Phil Brown's temporary  charge.

He played a big part in the consistency of the club's revival and it has been all downhill since but his idea that it was all down to him doesn't altogether stack up.

Re the £5m owed to Moonshift, I would be amazed if they don’t also have a personal guarantee from Ken. Unfortunately Companies House won’t provide that info.

If they do, they should be able to take the shares, sell the club, and if they haven’t recovered the £5m in full from the sale, they could go after him personally. I hope they got a satisfactory Monaco legal opinion (or was it Luxembourg...?)

Edited by Jol_BWFC