Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

"IF" it goes tits up.

Ratwhite

Not interested in or capable of supporting anyone else.

I've already decided I'd use the money I was spending on us by watching games abroad but nothing would replace the feeling of meeting up with friends and comrades at random pubs all over the place to watch us.

That it's got to the stage where I'm seriously considering life after the team I've followed since a kid has ceased to exist is painfully sad.

• Site Supporter

I’d be largely finished with football. I’d go and watch the odd Sunderland, Birmingham and West Brom game with friends if they were fairly local to us, the odd England away but I think I would probably do a few more big US boxing bouts.

See you all at Mansfield next season though

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Not interested in or capable of supporting anyone else.

I've already decided I'd use the money I was spending on us by watching games abroad but nothing would replace the feeling of meeting up with friends and comrades at random pubs all over the place to watch us.

That it's got to the stage where I'm seriously considering life after the team I've followed since a kid has ceased to exist is painfully sad.

I thought summat similar. Weekends in Europe with the Mrs, starting with Hamburg and St Pauli, then some Portugese lower league, then some random English lower league.

That jumpers for goalposts shite can get fucked. So can fleetwood or AFC Fylde.

Ive no affiliation to the town of bolton bar the football team and my parents who haven’t lived there for 45 years. So any new formation can get fucked too.

There’s not another team in the land that could possibly make me ring my old man directly after full time every single time we play and aren’t together. Nor is there one I’d get a kick in the face for with a weather beaten Hamburg re-release. 

24 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Would that include a re-formed AFC Wanderers of Bolton in the West Lancs League?

I would go for that providing it went back to its roots and was based in the town centre or on the fringes of Great Lever / Farnworth / Deane areas 

I would also expect to see a split amongst supporters - one formed by the Supporters Trust claiming the moral high ground and one formed by the rest of us

Just now, Benny The Ball said:

I would go for that providing it went back to its roots and was based in the town centre or on the fringes of Great Lever / Farnworth / Deane areas 

I would also expect to see a split amongst supporters - one formed by the Supporters Trust claiming the moral high ground and one formed by the rest of us

That's my fear too, people trying to claim the club for themselves not to mention the tedium of time spent arguing over the details of the set up.

So, we need to survive.

Over the last months I have been churning out the line 'not as bad as the eighties' but now its far worse .

The club I have supported since 1963 is on the brink & I cannot imagine life without BWFC.

Bottom line is if we are reborn as FC Wanderers of Bolton or something similar I'm not sure I could buy into it although they can never expunge our history.Still hoping for Div1 & -12 points.

My options are 

Nottingham Forest .... decent atmosphere,  but I might not like it as it would be championship footie and too painful to watch.

Notts County .... They are in the same position as us. Winding up orders and dodgy owner ( allegedly ) . He put a pic of his penis on Twitter and then said he was selling the club ....The two incidents were unrelated .

Arnold Town. Local club, standard of footie isn't good and I'm convinced the out of town ground is colder than the unibol .

Mansfield Town . Short drive down the A60, easy parking , nice kit , play good football , ground only has 3 stands , one side is just massive advertising hoardings. 

Mansfield is probably fave option .

Would I watch a AFC BWFC 2019? It would hurt too much . I would probably  pick selected matches and depends what stadium we play IN.

I'm depressed now !!!

Fingers crossed that we would be organised enough to sort out a decent Phoenix club, you’d like to think tge league wouldn’t take the piss too much, I think it would be League2, Confrence or worst case Confrence North. Dare I say it, some cracking aways down there! 

Dont forget, Rangers went through liquidation, nobody looks at them and thinks they are some odd new club with no affiliation to the old one 

In terms of name changes, I think Wanderers FC, afterall we are the one and only Wanderers!!

Hope it doesn’t come that that of course 

Edited by birch-chorley

I know a couple of AFC Wimbledon fans who have stuck with the club through reformation and all the shite that came with it. Most of them are "shareholders" in what is a community club, having put in a few quid and volunteered time and labour to do up the ground, mow the grass and do general jobs required to launch a new club  and they still get stuck in when required. They seem very happy with the state of affairs, especially as they've risen back up the leagues and still consider their history their own. So I'd be supporting a reformed Wanderers regardless of how low we go - providing that we have a better quality board and management structure and the fans had the opportunity to get involved, although not necessarily via the current ST.

4 hours ago, Ratwhite said:

and the club folds. 

Has anyone else thought, what the hell they would do?

Can imagine 2k on at Athy Colls. But fuck me the thought is frightening. 

I'd give it up, I'm not sure I could go and watch glorified Sunday league, jumpers for goalposts football to be honest, that would just be soul destroying

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

And there’s the part when I think the whole thing will fall apart. It has to be a clear continuation of the existing club in one way or another for it work or it’ll be a People’s Front of Judea situation. Telford and Nuneaton (just about managed it), but for every one of those there are splits like Northwich Vics/1874, Enfield/Enfield Town. Nothing on the scale of a club like ours going bump though. 

43 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

I know a couple of AFC Wimbledon fans who have stuck with the club through reformation and all the shite that came with it. Most of them are "shareholders" in what is a community club, having put in a few quid and volunteered time and labour to do up the ground, mow the grass and do general jobs required to launch a new club  and they still get stuck in when required. They seem very happy with the state of affairs, especially as they've risen back up the leagues and still consider their history their own. So I'd be supporting a reformed Wanderers regardless of how low we go - providing that we have a better quality board and management structure and the fans had the opportunity to get involved, although not necessarily via the current ST.

I also know an  AFC Wimbledon fan and a Manc who jibbed it after the glazer takeover for Fc united and they've been nothing but positive. Affordable tickets, standing, lots of singing, football like it used to be. Yes the standards of football are relatively poor, but let's be honest, the standards on the pitch st the unibol at present aren't all that great.