Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Jan 73 v Charlton in a cup replay. second game was a league game v Halifax towards the end of the 72-73 season. 

Next season I started at secondary school and sold the rip-open BWFC lottery tickets to my mates and neighbours. Got a free ticket for every 25 I sold.

On 20/04/2019 at 09:28, paulhanley said:

From our Division 4 season. A 2-2 away draw at Rochdale. Huge Bolton away following, classic Dave Higson commentary, awful performance rescued by two late John Thomas goals.

Fucking brilliant!!!!

These are games that I never thought that I'd see again. I'm near the corner flag not far from the segregation point. We absolutely took over Rochdale that day

Superb videos these Paul. Lost all mine in a house move years ago and so happy to see them again

37 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Fucking brilliant!!!!

These are games that I never thought that I'd see again. I'm near the corner flag not far from the segregation point. We absolutely took over Rochdale that day

Superb videos these Paul. Lost all mine in a house move years ago and so happy to see them again

No worries. More on the way over coming weeks!

On 17/04/2019 at 21:11, dusan nikolic said:

There brilliant , I never thought I'd see footage of that game , 1 more request though then I'll stop pestering you. Have you got the Carlisle home game from the same season , we won 2-0 and my dad and uncle took me but near the end with us winning 1-0 they wanted to leave early to avoid the traffic , and I never saw Ian Stevens goal.

Here goes then. Bolton 2 Carlisle 0, April 18, 1987. Our last win in Division 3 before relegation. Two more points from the remaining five games meant the relegation play off against Aldershot and we won neither of those, as we know.

Long range Phil Neal goal from a free kick, a Carlisle player getting sent off (during a period when refs had stopped using red cards) and then injury time winner from Ian Stevens (Dusan - it was not a great thing of beauty in the build up but he took it well!).

By this stage the Manny Road half of the Embankment has been dug up ready to make way for Normid in the following months. 

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Eric Nixon before he became Elton fucking Welsby's crush!! 

Leigh White and myself worked with Welsby’s cousin a few years ago....l’ll let Leigh White explain what happened one day when I had enough of his cousin’s incessant spouting at a site in Ormskirk :D

Oddly enough, I still work with that twat to this day..........not Leigh White, I may add...as he retired when schools stopping giving out free milk in glass bottles

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Leigh White and myself worked with Welsby’s cousin a few years ago....l’ll let Leigh White explain what happened one day when I had enough of his cousin’s incessant spouting at a site in Ormskirk :D

Oddly enough, I still work with that twat to this day..........not Leigh White, I may add...as he retired when schools stopping giving out free milk in glass bottles

I remember a Friday night game at that shithole Prenton Park where the Bolton away following constantly gestured and chanted "Elton Welsby, you're a wanker" to a box on stilts in the corner of the away end. Game wasn't on TV so there was no chance he was there! I was told he was actually an Everton fan and couldn't abide Tranmere. Hard to believe with all that fucking fawning he did!

Edited by paulhanley

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I remember a Friday night game at that shithole Prenton Park where the Bolton away following constantly gestured and chanted "Elton Welsby, you're a wanker" to a box on stilts in the corner of the away end. Game wasn't on TV so there was no chance he was there! I was told he was actually an Everton fan and couldn't abide Tranmere. Hard to believe with all that fucking fawning he did!

Sounds about right mate. The twat ended up working for Everton TV.....their highlights are pretty short these days. :D

7 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Looks like he's lost his marbles. That thread also mentions Gerald Sinstadt. Aka Red Gerald. Once sent a map by Bolton fans to show him how to get from Old Trafford to Burnden Park! 

Welsby posted a pic of Sinstadt on twitter before Christmas, he’s not aged well either.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Here goes then. Bolton 2 Carlisle 0, April 18, 1987. Our last win in Division 3 before relegation. Two more points from the remaining five games meant the relegation play off against Aldershot and we won neither of those, as we know.

Long range Phil Neal goal from a free kick, a Carlisle player getting sent off (during a period when refs had stopped using red cards) and then injury time winner from Ian Stevens (Dusan - it was not a great thing of beauty in the build up but he took it well!).

By this stage the Manny Road half of the Embankment has been dug up ready to make way for Normid in the following months. 

Was there bother at this game? Remember reading a book by Paul dodd,  with him claiming the BCF ran bolton at this match? 

2 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Was there bother at this game? Remember reading a book by Paul dodd,  with him claiming the BCF ran bolton at this match? 

I remember seeing trouble in the Burnden Stand but I was looking across from the Manny Road so can't quote chapter and verse. Someone in here will recall

2 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

There was trouble mate, but the BCF came unstuck when their tranny vans were trashed at the back of the Duke on Deane Road.

In Glasgow a few weeks later at the England / Scotland match,they came unstuck again in The Toby Jug.....our firm that day was pretty big and very impressive.

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Sinstadt must be well in to his 90s now. He was getting on in age when in his Old Trafford eulogising days

a mere 89

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Well Paul , thanks to you mate after 32 years I've finally seen the Stevens goal , very route 1 but a cracking finish.

If the goal was scored in injury time we must have just left , because I remember getting in the car in the main car park when the cheer went up.

It was certainly a niggly match , and it was a sad site seeing half of the embankment resembling a building site , however crucial the money certainly was.again thanks mate.