Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Well Paul , thanks to you mate after 32 years I've finally seen the Stevens goal , very route 1 but a cracking finish.

If the goal was scored in injury time we must have just left , because I remember getting in the car in the main car park when the cheer went up.

It was certainly a niggly match , and it was a sad site seeing half of the embankment resembling a building site , however crucial the money certainly was.again thanks mate.

Good stuff! It must have been well into injury time, Dave is talking as if the 3 points were ours at 1-0.

Id forgotten the sending off. Glad you've seen the Stevens goal now! 

Once they dug the embankment up it was the beginning of the end for Burnden. 

18 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

There was trouble mate, but the BCF came unstuck when their tranny vans were trashed at the back of the Duke on Deane Road.

In Glasgow a few weeks later at the England / Scotland match,they came unstuck again in The Toby Jug.....our firm that day was pretty big and very impressive.

Cheers pal. Remember it also being in a white love fanzine about the trouble. Them singing we will rock you whilst in the burnden stand. 

14 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

I didn’t realise Tommy Smith was 8 foot tall :D

Noooo

Elton was as small in stature as he was as a personality 

8 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Cheers pal. Remember it also being in a white love fanzine about the trouble. Them singing we will rock you whilst in the burnden stand. 

No worries mate, though it was Boro singing that in the Burnden Stand that season.

Boro turned us over good and proper at The Sweet Green.

200 lads all game as they come....best firm I’ve seen down here, not the biggest, but the best.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Noooo

Elton was as small in stature as he was as a personality 

Roger..as he’s actually christened had a dicky fit when he was told they were changing the sports format.....he said “I’ll change the format”.....the female producer said “no, you Dwarf....we’re changing you” :D

True story.....except the dwarf quote.

27 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

No worries mate, though it was Boro singing that in the Burnden Stand that season.

200 lads all game as they come....best firm I’ve seen down here, not the biggest, but the best.

Crazy days back then indeed 

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

As is now pretty obvious my memory is a bit sketchy 😊 but I seem to remember being near the Tanners & the fuckers were everywhere. 

Slightly unusual one tonight. Preliminary round of the 1985/6 Freight Rover Trophy away to Stockport County. This was , of course, the season we got to Wembley to play Bristol City, our first visit since 1958! It could have all have ended at the very start of the competition if we'd not made a remarkable late comeback from 2-0 down with two minutes to go! We got our consolation goal and then straight from the kick off we got the equaliser.

Despite it being a January night in a lesser competition there's still an impressive away following at Edgeley Park and they go bananas when the second goes in! Mark Came and Tony Caldwell with the goals - and the second is set up by one of those (many!) 1980s flops, in a very rare moment of glory - Wayne Entwistle! No Dave Higson on this one - the commentator is a sombre sounding Stockport fan.

A 1-0 win at Burnden against Crewe in the other group match saw us through to the knock out rounds.

26 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Slightly unusual one tonight. Preliminary round of the 1985/6 Freight Rover Trophy away to Stockport County. This was , of course, the season we got to Wembley to play Bristol City, our first visit since 1958! It could have all have ended at the very start of the competition if we'd not made a remarkable late comeback from 2-0 down with two minutes to go! We got our consolation goal and then straight from the kick off we got the equaliser.

Despite it being a January night in a lesser competition there's still an impressive away following at Edgeley Park and they go bananas when the second goes in! Mark Came and Tony Caldwell with the goals - and the second is set up by one of those (many!) 1980s flops, in a very rare moment of glory - Wayne Entwistle! No Dave Higson on this one - the commentator is a sombre sounding Stockport fan.

A 1-0 win at Burnden against Crewe in the other group match saw us through to the knock out rounds.

Great footage mate , Tony Caldwell was a cracking goal poacher , I wonder why it never worked out for him at Bristol City.

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Great footage mate , Tony Caldwell was a cracking goal poacher , I wonder why it never worked out for him at Bristol City.

He didn't do much anywhere after leaving Bolton. I guess after coming in to professional football quite late he was in his 30s by the late 1980s.

18 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

He didn't do much anywhere after leaving Bolton. I guess after coming in to professional football quite late he was in his 30s by the late 1980s.

Good point Paul , do you think we would have got promoted out of the 4th division if we had of kept Caldwell and not signed John Thomas?

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

Good point Paul , do you think we would have got promoted out of the 4th division if we had of kept Caldwell and not signed John Thomas?

Possibly not! It was a close run thing even with Thomas - but he was a proven scorer at Div 4 level and Caldwell had gone a bit stale with us. 

Caldwell and David Cross had been working well together in 85/6 but Phil Neal took against Cross.

35 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Possibly not! It was a close run thing even with Thomas - but he was a proven scorer at Div 4 level and Caldwell had gone a bit stale with us. 

Caldwell and David Cross had been working well together in 85/6 but Phil Neal took against Cross.

I read an interview with Cross , he said he fractured his skull at Bristol Rovers ( I think) and afterwards every time he headed the ball he ended up having blinding headaches , I think he ended the season at Bury.

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I read an interview with Cross , he said he fractured his skull at Bristol Rovers ( I think) and afterwards every time he headed the ball he ended up having blinding headaches , I think he ended the season at Bury.

I spent the whole of the Summer of 1985 in anticipation of promotion because we'd signed Cross, Dave Sutton, Asa Hartford, Derek Scott and re-signed Big Sam. Soon had that knocked out of me when Bury beat us 1-4 at Burnden on the 3rd of 4th game of the season. 

Cross got some good goals for us. Remember one at Blackpool on Boxing Day - sadly I don't have it on video as the consistent taping of games started straight in to that New Year.

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I spent the whole of the Summer of 1985 in anticipation of promotion because we'd signed Cross, Dave Sutton, Asa Hartford, Derek Scott and re-signed Big Sam. Soon had that knocked out of me when Bury beat us 1-4 at Burnden on the 3rd of 4th game of the season. 

Cross got some good goals for us. Remember one at Blackpool on Boxing Day - sadly I don't have it on video as the consistent taping of games started straight in to that New Year.

Cross scored 3 in Neal's first 2 games , and then drew a blank for the next 3 games culminating in a 4-0 loss to Rotherham , after which Cross was replaced by Oghani and never played again for us.

his overall record of 10 goals in 23 Games was a good return and in a better team would of probably rattled in 25 goals in that division.

10 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cross scored 3 in Neal's first 2 games , and then drew a blank for the next 3 games culminating in a 4-0 loss to Rotherham , after which Cross was replaced by Oghani and never played again for us.

his overall record of 10 goals in 23 Games was a good return and in a better team would of probably rattled in 25 goals in that division.

He'd been a good un throughout his career. 

I've got that Rotherham game. Maybe give that a miss tho!!