Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

Those who remember the 1980s will recall Bolton had a very young Stuart Ripley on a month's loan from Middlesbrough. Within about 15 seconds of his debut he'd set up a goal for Tony Caldwell - the first in a 4-0 Division 3 win over Newport in February 1986 (1985/6 season). Caldwell scored the second and George Oghani the third - all inside 27 minutes. Then in the second half Ripley himself slammed home a fourth. This is still all in Phil Neal's early days at the club.

Nice to see the Manny Road celebrating goals! 

I have to apologise for the sound quality. There's no commentary on this video and that really makes that sound situation stand out. I'll have to work out if I can cure it somehow.

Edited by paulhanley

On 24/04/2019 at 21:09, dusan nikolic said:

Cross scored 3 in Neal's first 2 games , and then drew a blank for the next 3 games

reminded me of somehting I've been meaning to mention / ask.

My memory plays tricks on me, certainly where Wanderers are involved, but my recollection of ex City centre half Mike Doyle's start with us is that it was pretty disastrous. I know I'm probably completely off on this, but I've always been convinced that in each of his first 4 or 5 games for us he either gave a penalty away, scored an og or got sent off.

Can anyone with a better memory than me either put me straight or confirm please

4 hours ago, wakey said:

reminded me of somehting I've been meaning to mention / ask.

My memory plays tricks on me, certainly where Wanderers are involved, but my recollection of ex City centre half Mike Doyle's start with us is that it was pretty disastrous. I know I'm probably completely off on this, but I've always been convinced that in each of his first 4 or 5 games for us he either gave a penalty away, scored an og or got sent off.

Can anyone with a better memory than me either put me straight or confirm please

He scored an own goal on his debut in a 1-1 draw away to Oldham , then it looks like he may have got sent off on his 4th game a 1-0 win away to Sheff wed , because he then misses the next 2 games, before coming back for 4 games , the last of which he gets substituted ( probably injured) .

he then misses the next 9 games and returns for the last 2 games of the season.

Edited to add he passed away in 2011.

Edited again to add , regarding a penalty , in his second game a 2-0 defeat to Newcastle , their first goal was a penalty , but I couldn't tell you if he gave it away or not.

Edited by dusan nikolic

I'd said I wasn't going to post defeats but as Miami asked for this one on another thread - here it is, Barnsley 3 Bolton 1 in the 87/88 FA Cup, Div 2 v Div 4. Quality isn't great.... quality on the original tape isn't great either! 

There's clearly trouble after Barnsley's second - Dave Higson references it and you very briefly see the police and the dogs lining up outside the away end. 

I have to say Dave's commentary is particularly funny - the lead up to every Barnsley goal involves him tempting fate by eulogising about Bolton. And before the third he's busy talking about Jim Bowen and Bullseye. 

Anyway - here goes. What a ding dong do.

Blimey another game that I never thought that I’d see again

That was probably the worst violence I ever got caught up in. And the coppers were just as bad. Fucking South Yorkshire’s finest intent on battering as many Bolton as possible - pent-up fuckers still high on twatting the miners. And they came in indiscriminately with the dogs into our end. Horrible day on and off the pitch

19 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

That's one I put up about 12 months ago. Got the full game and both games v them in 84/5. I wish I had Boxing Day 83

Nice one Paul.

Wigan weren’t too keen in those days :D

Shithouses that day for the Market Tavern incident when 300 of us were in their main boozer on the other side of town and they wouldn’t come near us.

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Nice one Paul.

Wigan weren’t too keen in those days :D

Shithouses that day for the Market Tavern incident when 300 of us were in their main boozer on the other side of town and they wouldn’t come near us.

After that day the next few league fixtures v them were on Friday nights. The next invasion of their home end was 93 under Rioch

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

After that day the next few league fixtures v them were on Friday nights. The next invasion of their home end was 93 under Rioch

Spot on mate.

Have you the Freight Rover Final first leg from their place ?

Our winner was a carbon copy of the third goal from the above clip, but down the left wing.

Just now, miamiwhite said:

Spot on mate.

Have you the Freight Rover Final first leg from their place ?

Our winner was a carbon copy of the third goal from the above clip, but down the left wing.

Yep. Bunged that one up on you tube 12 months ago. Quite some scenes of celebration on the shit heap of an away end