Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

10 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Good old George taking one for the team , I think Oghani and Caldwell scored 9 goals between them in that cup run. It makes you wonder what might have happened if Caldwell's shot had gone in at 0-0 in the final instead of hitting the bar . Did a dvd of the final ever get officially released?

Roadrunner's predecessor definitely did one. I've got that game on DVD but its all over You Tube already from various sources - usually Bristol City related!! 

20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Roadrunner's predecessor definitely did one. I've got that game on DVD but its all over You Tube already from various sources - usually Bristol City related!! 

Yeah , I'm sure I spotted an official dvd on flea bay years ago , it was probably Bristol related.

•  

Continuing through the Freight Rover Trophy run of 1985/6 here's the Northern Quarter Final at home to Tranmere. This was a year or two before the Birkenhead bindippers and Elton Welsby began to become an irritation, so this would have been seen as a run of the mill cup tie other than the prospect of Wembley. 

Tranmere take the lead before George Oghani equalises and then sets up Tony Caldwell for the second half winner. One step closer to the twin towers! 

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:
  •  

Continuing through the Freight Rover Trophy run of 1985/6 here's the Northern Quarter Final at home to Tranmere. This was a year or two before the Birkenhead bindippers and Elton Welsby began to become an irritation, so this would have been seen as a run of the mill cup tie other than the prospect of Wembley. 

Tranmere take the lead before George Oghani equalises and then sets up Tony Caldwell for the second half winner. One step closer to the twin towers! 

Caldwell and Oghani certainly did the business in this cup run , surprisingly they only scored 17 league goals between them that season , but on the other hand David Cross featured heavily in the first half of the season.

7 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Caldwell and Oghani certainly did the business in this cup run , surprisingly they only scored 17 league goals between them that season , but on the other hand David Cross featured heavily in the first half of the season.

I think the previous season both of them got much higher numbers, as did Jeff Chandler

Carrying on with posts from our run to Wembley in 1986. Quite a few have requested this one. The Northern Semi Final at Darlington. Thousands of well oiled fans travelled up the road on a Thursday night, after our second goal you can see plenty celebrating in the home end. Sadly the pitch invasion at the final whistle wasn't filmed. As you'll see and hear, Dave pulls the plug before it gets in full swing 

Edited by paulhanley

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Carrying on with posts from our run to Wembley in 1986. Quite a few have requested this one. The Northern Semi Final at Darlington. Thousands of well oiled fans travelled up the road on a Thursday night, after our second goal you can see plenty celebrating in the home end. Sadly the pitch invasion at the final whistle wasn't filmed. As you'll see and hear, Dave pulls the plug before it gets in full swing 

https://youtu.be/_y5o40RauHo

Brilliant Paul been waiting for this one for ages

absolutely superb thanks for sharing 👍

Great to see these goals again. I could only remember Hartfords for the 3rd. Bunked off college for the afternoon to get there.  For a crap team, in crap form, playing in a crap competition, our away following back then was superb.

7 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Great to see these goals again. I could only remember Hartfords for the 3rd. Bunked off college for the afternoon to get there.  For a crap team, in crap form, playing in a crap competition, our away following back then was superb.

Unbelievable following. Seems to be the same on all these videos. Only 4-5000 gates at home but a big percentage of those travelled away

I put the 90th minute Tony Caldwell goal from our Northern Final first leg win at Springfield Park on You Tube about a year ago. He's a more extended video of that game. I've focused a little more on the crowd than the match in some parts. Very noticeable that for a lot of the first half there's a constant procession of Bolton fans being herded from the home ends in to the away end - right along the front of their main side terrace. At one point you can see the Wigan fans back off. Great scenes at the end with a mini-pitch invasion of Bolton fans who were still in the home end - followed by happy Bolton fans leaving the ground in to the terraced streets. 

I've had no time to do any video work since Monday but will try to get Wigan from the Freight Rover of 1986 up ASAP. 

In the meantime here's somebody else's work. Have any of you seen this before? Bolton 2 Brentford 0 on the last day of 1972/3. Apologies if its already been posted. It's three years before my times watching Bolton but a brilliant (if silent) capture of the day Bolton clinched the Division 3 title in 1973. Filmed from the Burnden Paddock with a full looking Embankment. Both goals  are shown. Towards the end there's some footage of Jimmy Armfield amidst all of the celebrations. Brilliant stuff! 

You absolute legend paulhanley. Wow!!! Another game that I never thought that I’d see again

i remember nothing of the game itself. My only memories are of the players parading the trophy around the pitch at the end and being in the Burnden Paddock amazed at the size of the crowd (I was only 9 at the time). Also remember my Dad rabbiting on about how it was about time we won something. Meant nowt to me at the time but with him having been at the 53 and 58 finals, and watching our fall from glory, I guess that it meant a lot to him back then.

Wish he was with us so that I could show it to him

• Site Supporter

Perhaps it's just the nature of the film but the goal celebrations seem relatively mild.

A number of spaz chariots lined up too.

The playing surface also seems bobbly; shows how techniques for pitch management have improved, and how lucky players are to have a carpet to play on nowadays.

47 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

You absolute legend paulhanley. Wow!!! Another game that I never thought that I’d see again

i remember nothing of the game itself. My only memories are of the players parading the trophy around the pitch at the end and being in the Burnden Paddock amazed at the size of the crowd (I was only 9 at the time). Also remember my Dad rabbiting on about how it was about time we won something. Meant nowt to me at the time but with him having been at the 53 and 58 finals, and watching our fall from glory, I guess that it meant a lot to him back then.

Wish he was with us so that I could show it to him

When it came up as a recommendation on you tube I couldn't believe my luck. If you check out the other videos on that channel you wonder how on earth they came by this footage. Bloody glad they did though!! 

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps it's just the nature of the film but the goal celebrations seem relatively mild.

A number of spaz chariots lined up too.

The playing surface also seems bobbly; shows how techniques for pitch management have improved, and how lucky players are to have a carpet to play on nowadays.

Yep. I notice that too. Restrained celebrations on and off the pitch 

I've had no time to do any video work since Monday but will try to get Wigan from the Freight Rover of 1986 up ASAP. 

In the meantime here's somebody else's work. Have any of you seen this before? Bolton 2 Brentford 0 on the last day of 1972/3. Apologies if its already been posted. It's three years before my times watching Bolton but a brilliant (if silent) capture of the day Bolton clinched the Division 3 title in 1973. Filmed from the Burnden Paddock with a full looking Embankment. Both goals  are shown. Towards the end there's some footage of Jimmy Armfield amidst all of the celebrations. Brilliant stuff! 

always thought it was Stuart Lee who got our goals that day

Simon Marland's book reckons Peter Nicholson and John Byrom scored. John Ritson is the right back we so closest to the camera quite a lot. 

My Dad always reckoned Bolton gave lower attendance figures than were actually present to swindle the tax man. You'd have to say even with the limited amount of Burnden we see it looks like there's more than 21600 on there! 

My Dad always reckoned Bolton gave lower attendance figures than were actually present to swindle the tax man. You'd have to say even with the limited amount of Burnden we see it looks like there's more than 21600 on there! 

To this day I remember my Dad saying exactly the same. There were loads of games, particularly during the Greaves era when attendances were given as 20,000-25,000 and you could barely move the place was so packed

He'd had some sort of run in with the Warbies on a business deal and blamed them calling them crooks. I've absolutely no idea what it was all about but he used to look at the attendance figures published in the newspapers and go mental. To his dying day he wouldn't touch a Warbies product