Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

• 2 weeks later...
  • Never let it be said I won't share the joy
  •  
  • ON THIS DAY: 22 SEPTEMBER
  • 1984: Bolton Wanderers 7 Argyle 2; a personal nightmare for 'keeper Geoff Crudgington, whose horrific 7th minute blunder set the example for the rest of the team to match. A comedy of errors followed, and with 15 minutes to go and bottom-of-the-table Bolton five up, a finger injury forced Crudgie to play up-front alongside Tommy Tynan, Gordon Nisbet taking the 'keeper's jersey for the final two goals.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, green genie said:
  •  
  • 1984: Bolton Wanderers 7 Argyle 2; a personal nightmare for 'keeper Geoff Crudgington, whose horrific 7th minute blunder set the example for the rest of the team to match. A comedy of errors followed, and with 15 minutes to go and bottom-of-the-table Bolton five up, a finger injury forced Crudgie to play up-front alongside Tommy Tynan, Gordon Nisbet taking the 'keeper's jersey for the final two goals.

I remember this game, season after we thrashed Walsall 8-1. In my early days of watching us, I thought this was the norm

18 hours ago, green genie said:
  •  

Remember this well - after all, it's not often the keeper plays upfront. No often he has a surname like Crudgington either!

19 hours ago, green genie said:
  •  

Think it was the 4th or 5th goal where George Oghani took the ball in our half and seemingly dribbled past the entire Argyle side before squaring for Caldwell for an easy tap in.

Iirc it was a close 3-2 at half time that game!

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Remember this well - after all, it's not often the keeper plays upfront. No often he has a surname like Crudgington either!

Crudgie still loiters around the club.

It was central defender Forbes Phillopson-Masters who was lucky to be around before names in shirts

On 22/09/2019 at 16:20, green genie said:
  •  

I can remember this game too! From memory it was our first win of 84/5 after an abysmal start. Can remember Geoff Crudgington playing on the wing. Bolton v Plymouth games are a big deal in our family. My Dad and half the family have been in the Navy so their second team is Argyle. An uncle of mine who lived in Laira and Tamerton Foliot in the 80s became a Plymouth season ticket holder while still being a Wanderers fan. In my time the Burnden Park and Home Park Bolton/Plymouth fixtures have always been home wins.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I can remember this game too! From memory it was our first win of 84/5 after an abysmal start. Can remember Geoff Crudgington playing on the wing. Bolton v Plymouth games are a big deal in our family. My Dad and half the family have been in the Navy so their second team is Argyle. An uncle of mine who lived in Laira and Tamerton Foliot in the 80s became a Plymouth season ticket holder while still being a Wanderers fan. In my time the Burnden Park and Home Park Bolton/Plymouth fixtures have always been home wins.

On that note Paul do you have the 3-1 home win over Plymouth in the 1992/93 season? I seem to remember seeing Peter Shilton in goal for them.

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

On that note Paul do you have the 3-1 home win over Plymouth in the 1992/93 season? I seem to remember seeing Peter Shilton in goal for them.

I might well have that on the roadrunner goals compilation for that season but not the full game. Shilton was indeed in goal for Argyle that day. Two seasons later he was playing a handful of games for us!

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I might well have that on the roadrunner goals compilation for that season but not the full game. Shilton was indeed in goal for Argyle that day. Two seasons later he was playing a handful of games for us!

Ok mate look forward to seeing it if you have got it , also Paul any chance you can show the 3-2 win at Wigan in the league cup 1987/88 season , I remember you said the quality wasn't great .

9 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Ok mate look forward to seeing it if you have got it , also Paul any chance you can show the 3-2 win at Wigan in the league cup 1987/88 season , I remember you said the quality wasn't great .

Yes I will try to get that one done. The quality is pretty poor. I think its a combination of the standard of the camera and the abysmal floodlighting at Springfield Park! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

Aye and recall an Andy Morrison own goal 

On 23/09/2019 at 18:52, dusan nikolic said:

Was that the game immediately after the Liverpool cup game.

I seem to remember clapping their goal like I was some connoisseur of football, then seeing it years later and thinking it was actually nowt special.

4 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Was that the game immediately after the Liverpool cup game.

I seem to remember clapping their goal like I was some connoisseur of football, then seeing it years later and thinking it was actually nowt special.

Yes it was , I remember vendors around Burnden selling " Scouse Busters " T Shirts.

I think we also signed David Lee permanently that week also .

• 1 month later...

Right I've finally got my act together and uploaded another video. A treat for those whose memories extend as far back as our promotion season under Ian Greaves, 1977/78

Spring had come around - just about the time in the previous two seasons when Division 2 promotion pushes had begun to falter. This time it was more certain. An awkard derby home fixture against Blackpool was negotiated - a 2-1 win with goals from Peter Reid and Paul Jones. Good, sharp football from Bolton on a boggy pitch. Never a pen for what proved Blackpool's consolation. Of note that a late chance was missed by Jeff Chandler, who of course spent much of the 1980s playing for us. 

This meant we completed the double over Blackpool after a solid 0-2 win at Bloomfield Road over Christmas - which is still the last occasion we won there. Let's hope we set that straight this season. A really shit following on the Embankment from Blackpool - which at the time was split in to two - home fans on the Manny Road half and away fans on the Burnden Paddock half.

On 26/09/2019 at 17:32, dusan nikolic said:

Yes it was , I remember vendors around Burnden selling " Scouse Busters " T Shirts.

I think we also signed David Lee permanently that week also .

'coming soon.... silence of the Rams' 😂😂😂😂

If I could transport myself back to any time as a fan, this would be it.