Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Players Who Made It

TrickyTrotter

31 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Paul Fletcher.

He’s now an active member of the George Formby Society.

Malc W is spitting blood now and trashing his laptop :D

I saw George Formby's funeral from my bedroom window across the massive field behind Warrington cemetery.

4 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

I saw George Formby's funeral from my bedroom window across the massive field behind Warrington cemetery.

If you could see what Malc could see...............when he’s cleaning windows.

Edited by miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

He was but a child when at Bolton. And he didn't slip from our grasp, he was taken to where the bright lights were shining by his ambitious dad. It worked for him (although away from Manchester) but for many, it didn't.

5 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Happen to know due to your The Knowledge contributions.

You haven't or I haven't seen, a contribution in a while?

I had a question published last week. Though I think Enzo may well have answered it. 

I only read the Guardian on-line, only on Wednesdays, and only to read The Knowledge column. I used to do so religiously, but with so much else going on I often catch up several weeks later by which time answers have usually been given.

The Sunday Times used to have an "Any Answers?" column for sports questions, and I submitted answers on questions about athletics, football, rugby union, rugby league, cricket and hockey. My favourite was possibly submitted by Gonzo, "What is the record number of nationalities to have played in the same Premier League match, from Mark Tadger of Blackpool. The answer still stands to day, I'm fairly sure, as 20 seems a lot to beat, but it was set at the Reebok in September 2005 in a Bolton v Blackburn match.

One question I'm still researching concerns something my father told me, namely that Brian Bevan was the first player to score a try on the Headingley cricket ground (as opposed to the adjacent rugby ground). Having eliminated all Leeds v Warrington fixtures I found that he did score in a Festival of Britain match in May 1951 between Great Britain and Australasia. The significance of that is that the match could not be postponed and played later as the Festival period would have passed, which is why I think it was transferred. Not proved yet, but I'm getting closer.

19 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

he was always going to be a worldbeater. only his injury set him back and nobody was prepared to take a punt on him but us.

He made his international senior debut coming on as sub for his father. The manager said he would start them together in the next match, but in the meantime Eidur played an u18 international and badly broke an ankle, so the plan went out of the window.