Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Out of Towners

Whitestar

Ok , thought I'd start a new feature that might give us an insight around the country as it's quiet.

If yer from out of town honest comments from your veiws on clubs near you.

I'll get the ball rolling : Middlesbrough.

Never liked Middlesbrough, however TBH most Boro fans are very honest and in the main still greatful for whatever they've got.

Got ideas above their station circa mid 90s under wanker Robson and never really grew out of this dispite many a dry bumming. Beat us in a shat cup and to this day is their only claim to fame. (Cheats).

Anyway  a medium size club mainly due to no competition locally (similar to Brighton, Norwich etc) wealthy chairman but suspect about his continued input, and should go well next season if they get a decent manager, past appointments have been pish, and they get through a few. .Should again challenge for play offs, however ,should this not go well, in my opinion this is another club looking at the BWFC scenario as overspending will eventually take its toll on an area of poor people with better things to do and spend their money on.

I live in Oxford

Oxford United fans are on the whole pretty down to earth sorts. They're less likely to be found in the posh/academic and studenty parts of the city, more likely to be found on big estates like Blackbird Leys, Barton and East Oxford in general. In other words, the parts of Oxford that don't fit the dreaming spires stereotype. You'll find them in some of Oxfordshire's market towns as well - Didcot, Witney, Abingdon, Bicester etc.

They've consolidated in League 1 after a decade and a half below that level. Previously they've done OK at tier 2 level and even had a good spell in the top flight in the 80s. Tier 3 is probably their natural level. They still have a three-sided stadium. There have been a number of winding up orders of late - centred around the ground owner demanding his rent. He's called Firoz Kassam. The stadium is still called the Kassam from when he was Chairman and actively involved. Now he's a distant figure who influences the club's fortunes in a generally negative way. 

Their main rival is Swindon, I don't live too far from the railway station and twice I've seen Swindon fans and Thames Valley Police at odds with each other when they've visited. Oxford currently have the sign on Swindon in derby matches. Reading are a historic rival but there's been no game for ages. If Robert Maxwell had got his way the two clubs would have been merged and called The Thames Valley Royals.

I enjoyed our 2-4 win at the Kassam two seasons ago. Not so much the awful 0-2 home defeat. Took some mild stick the Monday after that.

I live near Macclesfield and over the last few years the club has been both league and non league. Sol Campbell was appointed as manager earlier in the season and worked a miracle in keeping them up after they were 6 points adrift.

The fans are generally okay and accept that they will always be in the bottom division or lower but are frustrated about their current financial position were like us the players and staff aren't getting paid.

They seem to have several local rivals including Stockport, Port Vale and Crewe though I'm not sure who are their main ones. A few off here may remember going there in the cup a few years ago and they held us to a draw and we beat them in the replay.

They've done okay in the cup recently and have had money spinning matches with West Ham, Everton and Wigan when they were a premier league club.

Generally a nice little club who I would support if BWFC ever went to the wall.

I'm in Sandbach, just over 5 miles from Crewe.

I've occasionally seen coaches for Crewe or Stoke leaving early Saturday morning. There are Crewe fans about, but rather more Stokies and the occasional Valiant (presumably with Mothertown connections). But what is really distressing is the quota pf DMB kit wearers I see around, plus occasional City, Liverpool and Barca.

Only one Football League match has ever been held in Sandbach. That was in 1896 when Crewe were about to drop out of the league until their return in 1921 when 3N started. Their penultimate home match sealed relegation. It was a 0-7 to div 2 champions-to-be Liverpool (who took the title on goal ratio from ManCity). The Football League responded to post-match riots by decreeing that Crewe's final home match (v Loughborough Town) had to be played more than 5 miles from their Gresty Road stadium (they have had 3 grounds, but all in the same immediate area), hence playing at Sandbach St Mary's ground.

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I live in Oxford

Oxford United fans are on the whole pretty down to earth sorts. They're less likely to be found in the posh/academic and studenty parts of the city, more likely to be found on big estates like Blackbird Leys, Barton and East Oxford in general. In other words, the parts of Oxford that don't fit the dreaming spires stereotype. You'll find them in some of Oxfordshire's market towns as well - Didcot, Witney, Abingdon, Bicester etc.

They've consolidated in League 1 after a decade and a half below that level. Previously they've done OK at tier 2 level and even had a good spell in the top flight in the 80s. Tier 3 is probably their natural level. They still have a three-sided stadium. There have been a number of winding up orders of late - centred around the ground owner demanding his rent. He's called Firoz Kassam. The stadium is still called the Kassam from when he was Chairman and actively involved. Now he's a distant figure who influences the club's fortunes in a generally negative way. 

Their main rival is Swindon, I don't live too far from the railway station and twice I've seen Swindon fans and Thames Valley Police at odds with each other when they've visited. Oxford currently have the sign on Swindon in derby matches. Reading are a historic rival but there's been no game for ages. If Robert Maxwell had got his way the two clubs would have been merged and called The Thames Valley Royals.

I enjoyed our 2-4 win at the Kassam two seasons ago. Not so much the awful 0-2 home defeat. Took some mild stick the Monday after that.

Kassam is probably more disliked than KA is here. Can also confirm a lot of Oxford fans in Witney.

I live in Sunderland. They would have you think they're not delusional and slag Newcastle for being just that. But all I hear them go on about is how big they are. They get very tetchy when I mention their catchment area, and very, very tetchy, when I tell them no one gives a shit about them outside of the NE. 

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I live in Oxford

I'm looking forward to Oxford away, it's gonna be a Saturday in August. Fact.

Nottingham. Been here 2 years and changed jobs in the middle of that. Met 2 County fans so far, that's it.

Met maybe 6 or 7 proper Forest fans too though which is probably less than I'd expected. There's a worrying amount of Liverpool shirts in this city, worn by people of an age where when they were young Forest and Liverpool would have been competing for the top prizes. It's strange.

I didn't mind Forest fans, I've got to sleep next to one for a start. But the way they celebrated their goals in the survival game last year, the indifference they felt in the office when I bounced back in the following week... They can fuck off now.

And they don't travel well either. Sheffield's less than an hour away and they consistently take fuck all. So fuck off.

Edited by Marc505

40 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'm looking forward to Oxford away, it's gonna be a Saturday in August. Fact.

It was a Tuesday night in March last time. Although from memory it should have been a Saturday in January but the FA Cup intervened.

Just now, paulhanley said:

It was a Tuesday night in March last time. Although from memory it should have been a Saturday in January but the FA Cup intervened.

I remember, watched it in Toll Bar in Horwich they had a Carrs delivery

I was exhiled to the arse end of Wigan some years ago. The weirdest thing was going in a pub when egg chasing was on and it was packed out. Very strange. Anyway, they’re mostly a mix of Liverpool or Yanited around these parts. A few Wiggin too, some pre-Premier and some post. The older fans are a rarity though, the newer ones you get the idea they will slump back to the big teams sooner rather than later. One thing you realise not living in Bolton is how shit it is and also how shit it is not being home.

It's a toss-up between the Massives and Oldham

Oldham are quicker to get to so I'll go with them

They hate us. Really hate us. I really thought that they'd have a thing about Rochdale but they leave that hatred to Bury it seems

I've been her nearly 16 years and I still can't get my head around the yonners and what they are all about. They just seem to exist and that's it. Weird bunch

13 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Brexiteer pile on at Paul's if it is

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Leeds - they are obsessed with the club. And deluded. 

Bradford - very bitter to us. Strange little club. Think they are Brazil. Hate Parky but want him back. 

Right about Bradford fans, know of two and always creaming that they sell shit loads of cheap tickets