Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barney R I P

parrybones

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

Alan Wilson don't think he was ever in Fred or Barneys league good lad though still knocks around the Northern Soul scene .

That's the fella! Fancy being called Al Wilson and being on the Northern Soul circuit :D

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

Top o' the brow lad me thinks .

B'Met/Top 'oth brow was all the same to me back then - apolols (see what i did there) to all the B'Met dwellers on here.

He seemed a scary fooker to us impressionable 14/15 yr olds at the time and maybe taking over from FD as top dog was an ambition of his, rather than an actual FACT.

AW is still about & , as said,  appears at some N Soul do's & as a big mate of Ginger's, at scooter meets. He does the door after the Easter egg scooter run at Leigh.

He gave up the match years ago but was on the reunion trip to Shrewsbury....don't know if he did the others.

• Members
15 hours ago, Steejay said:

Yep, I remember him - initials AW. He went to Breightmet (next to us upper class BCGS 😁) & was in the year above me - the year below Bolty.

I remember him coming into our school at full time one day looking for the equivalent 'cock of the year' & to be fair to our guy (AB) he didn't back down. He was sent on his way by our deputy head, Norris, who came swinging his cane (which I was acquainted with)!

I don't think he followed the team for a sustained period, just for a bit of aggro now and then. Bolty might know a bit more about him.

Aye, Willy was on the scene for a while. TOTB lad as mentioned. The various skirmishes I used to have walking home as a skinhead through TOTB might have involved him - can't quite remember if he was one of them. Stopped after one of them came off worst and Lever End alliances were established.There was another Al with the initials AW from up Blenheim Road who had a tilt at being their 'cock' but that didn't last long. Willy was around for a  short while in some of the mad years on the Lever End but certainly didn't stick. Never to be matched aggro in that period (late '68 to early '72 ish). Still shake my head at some of the things I witnessed.

AB was a rum fucker. Couldn't hurt him. One of them blokes you hit with your best shot and he instantly was up again like nowt had happened. There had been a previous 'fight' between cocks of the two schools which ended very quickly in favour of AB. Three blows only and it was all over.  Hall'I'th'Wood family. His next brother down (Bubs) was a bloody good footballer but I seem to recall struggling to control his weight stopped him reaching the heights he could have? Steejay? Must have been in your year or the one above?

Norris never caned me but that bastard Paddy Roberts did. He was a twisted fucker who enjoyed inflicting pain. Him and that DMB Townsend.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Roberts was a nasty sod loved using his cane , Hutchinson the deputy was the same,we had Roberts as our form teacher because we where an unruly mob.

Roberts nearly caned me for having a dodgy bonnet on my Morris Minor, the cunt!

He had a couple of them & he called me in & lectured me about how the bonnet would fly off if I didn't fix it by the following week. Then he said that he would see me the following Monday with his 'friend' & nodded at the stick on the side. Like you said, any excuse to use it...

Hutchinson was a dick but not very bright. He pretended to be tough but we just laughed at him. He had a combover from the back of his neck.

What years where you there, Rizlar?

Smithills High me pal, i was offered the opportunity to go to BCGS or Smithills Moor Grammar just before i started 1st year at Smivs High, but i fancied going where all my mates were going as we were all from top of H'well/Smithills - No regrets, it was a blast.

My older sister went to Bolton County Grammar though, she remembers Bolty + vice versa - it doesn't seem to have harmed either of them!

• Members
8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Smithills High me pal, i was offered the opportunity to go to BCGS or Smithills Moor Grammar just before i started 1st year at Smivs High, but i fancied going where all my mates were going as we were all from top of H'well/Smithills - No regrets, it was a blast.

My older sister went to Bolton County Grammar though, she remembers Bolty + vice versa - it doesn't seem to have harmed either of them!

:blush: Hope she doesn't remember too much! Probably remembers Paddy picking out my shaved bonce in Assembly and caning me for being the first skinhead in the school? "I want to discourage skinhead violence". I wish I'd dispensed some on him the nasty bastard.

If she mentions a couple of lasses, Angela and Judith - it wasn't me your honour.  I was one of a number who were well up for it and it was completely instigated by the girls - not us :D

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Nowack said:

I'm not sure Withins exists anymore. I'm sure I remember someone posting photos of it being demolished when I was on Facebook. 

It's st catherines 

Could well be a complete new build but it's pretty much the same site