Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Luca Connell

Wigan wanderer

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

I have a suspicion this won’t be a lot

Rumour (yes, I know)...but if he'd gone to an English club, we'd be entitled to 250-300k, elsewhere it's 100k.
Apparently Celtic have "been honourable" in paying the English rate.

• Moderators

From the bits we have seen, he's got something about him mentally, he's got a decent left foot

But, he's small and could well be made of glass

It's a decent punt for Celtic and time will tell whether it was decent for us

I honestly don't see him playing 20 games for them next year

Biggest disappointment in all of this for me is connell was one of the few players I looked forward to watching.

he was one of the few positives last season and genuinely got me off my seat and optimistic we might do something good.

he might not have had the skill of jay jay or the might of super kev but he had heart and desire to get on the ball. That coupled with excellent distribution and an eye to switch play was amazing considering who he was playing under.

the sight of him telling the whole team to rally on when we’d conceded was uplifting. And this was an 18 year old lad. 

He could have been the poster boy for all our young fans. Which we do desperately lack.

As I posted in another thread the other day, the writing was on the wall when, even after breaking in to the first team, he was only given a third year scholarship rather than getting him on a pro deal. Yes it meant we could get rid without a financial burden if he turned out to struggle next season, but it also meant there was always the possibility of him going elsewhere for nowt. 

Personally I don’t think Celtic is a great move for him football-wise as they rarely blood young kids unless they’re extra special like Tierney and tend to look to buy-in the finished article. Even if he is loaned out to another Scottish club as I expect will be the case, standard is at worst comparable to if he’d have stayed with us in League One.