Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Luca Connell

Wigan wanderer

32 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As I posted in another thread the other day, the writing was on the wall when, even after breaking in to the first team, he was only given a third year scholarship rather than getting him on a pro deal. Yes it meant we could get rid without a financial burden if he turned out to struggle next season, but it also meant there was always the possibility of him going elsewhere for nowt. 

Personally I don’t think Celtic is a great move for him football-wise as they rarely blood young kids unless they’re extra special like Tierney and tend to look to buy-in the finished article. Even if he is loaned out to another Scottish club as I expect will be the case, standard is at worst comparable to if he’d have stayed with us in League One.   

If Tierney does go to Arsenal for megabucks Celtic can afford to be generous, and Connell just might get an opportunity.

Why would we have a sell on clause?

His contract seems to have been terminated by mutual consent (he's not had to serve his 14 days notice period) so Bolton has had no negotiations over his contract with Celtic

So not only no sell on clause but no bonus payments either for the likes of making his first team debt, set numbers of appearances, helping win domestic trophies, reaching Europe, or even becoming a full international. etc, etc.

Nothing, nada.

I would imagine Connells agent would have negotiated such bonuses to go to Connell directly (less his agents percentage of course).

1 hour ago, Eavesy said:

Biggest disappointment in all of this for me is connell was one of the few players I looked forward to watching.

he was one of the few positives last season and genuinely got me off my seat and optimistic we might do something good.

he might not have had the skill of jay jay or the might of super kev but he had heart and desire to get on the ball. That coupled with excellent distribution and an eye to switch play was amazing considering who he was playing under.

the sight of him telling the whole team to rally on when we’d conceded was uplifting. And this was an 18 year old lad. 

He could have been the poster boy for all our young fans. Which we do desperately lack.

Bit OTT or possibly because of how crap we were last season. I loved his enthusiasm and fact he came out of academy but as for getting me off my seat nah. I really dont know how good he is. Anywhere else id wisk him luck but hate them hope he arrives just in time to see Rangers title 

Tbf to Luca he gave them until the original deadline in order to get the new ownership of the club sorted, at which point he wouldn't have been able to get out of his contract. I can understand him not wanting to wait forever, but it is disappointing. Especially when so much time and effort has been put into his development. The vultures are truly picking off all our talent atm, players which would have been ideal in L1 and could have made a name for themselves. 

On the plus side, in the handful of games he played he showed some potential, but less than Clough at the same stage.

On the other hand, he's been injured twice, been on strike, has hair like Shirley Temple & the way he's gone about it, makes him look a bit of a cunt so he'll fit in well at celtic.

Fuck him.

1 hour ago, Sluffy said:

Footballers whose names contain money (especially when the money is gained in a distasteful or dishonourable way) -

- Lucre Connell

(just joking before my usual trolls have a pop at me!)

Corrado Grabbi

3 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

So that's one kid signed for Celtic and one signed for Man City this week.The Academy must be doing some things right

What is the point though. It will have cost more than that to develop him. 

Clubs our size should just have U18, U21 and U23 fucking pointless having players from a young age when they can fuck off easily 

I'm not going to be bitter or disappointed to lose him.  The Good Ship BWFC will be playing football next season with a new crew and things will be better than last season.  I'm not being optimistic there, last seasons shenanagins cannot possibly be outdone.  Onwards and upwards fellas, the boats doing a u-turn with or without Luca Connolly 

What’s frustrating for me is we’re bringing some lads through and because of our financial and ownership problems we can’t keep hold of them and fully capitalise in their value.  Let’s hope we can get on an even keel so we’re not in a position where any talent is picked off for fuck all. 

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What’s frustrating for me is we’re bringing some lads through and because of our financial and ownership problems we can’t keep hold of them and fully capitalise in their value.  Let’s hope we can get on an even keel so we’re not in a position where any talent is picked off for fuck all. 

I don't think we've done that badly with recent sales (Clough, Holding, Madine ) but until we're in a position where we can resist any offers for our better or most promising players, it's hard to see how we can make any progress.

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agreed.

good luck to the lad, he owes us nothing.

got financial security for the rest of his life now.

its rank bad management on our part, so frustrating. 

1 minute ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Agreed.

good luck to the lad, he owes us nothing.

got financial security for the rest of his life now.

its rank bad management on our part, so frustrating. 

We've nurtured him from the age of 7 - I'd argue he owes us quite a bit.