Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ex Bolton players still playing

Johnnyrotten

When players leave us I generally have an opinion on whether they'll be any good elsewhere.  Madine as expected is struggling to get a game at Championship level, not on bench for Cardiff today although I wouldnt know if he's injured.  Vela scored apparently, so did Donaldson.  Just seen Joe Williams 2 yellow cards in 1st 20 minutes for Wigan, what a poor player at that level, he wont last long in their midfield.  Had the cheek to look surprised after 2 dangerous late challenges we are all too familiar with.  For all our struggles I really dont miss seeing the laboured efforts of Madine, Pratley, Williams, Taylor etc.  Its refreshing to see some actual talent on the pitch even if they are getting out muscled and bullied.  

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

When players leave us I generally have an opinion on whether they'll be any good elsewhere.  Madine as expected is struggling to get a game at Championship level, not on bench for Cardiff today although I wouldnt know if he's injured.  Vela scored apparently, so did Donaldson.  Just seen Joe Williams 2 yellow cards in 1st 20 minutes for Wigan, what a poor player at that level, he wont last long in their midfield.  Had the cheek to look surprised after 2 dangerous late challenges we are all too familiar with.  For all our struggles I really dont miss seeing the laboured efforts of Madine, Pratley, Williams, Taylor etc.  Its refreshing to see some actual talent on the pitch even if they are getting out muscled and bullied.  

Joe Williams is far from a poor player.

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

ts refreshing to see some actual talent on the pitch even if they are getting out muscled and bullied.  

Who out of the current lot who have been turning out for us do you realistically see having a sustained career at championship and above level?

2 hours ago, HomerJay said:

Joe Williams is far from a poor player.

Poor in my book for a championship midfielder.  Passing very average and rash tackling.  Total inability to shoot considering he's a forward thinking midfielder.  And you cant afford to have a guaranteed zero goals from 1 of your central midfielders especially when so many teams play with 1 striker.

2 hours ago, ex_midlandwhite said:

Pratley doing well at Charlton, partnered by Josh Cullen

On the bits I've seen of Charlton, he's looked poor to me, looked off the pace in the play offs,  Charlton seemed to be better when he wasn't on the pitch both in semi and final.  Cullen is a tidy player, came to us at a bad time like so many others.  This time last year McGennis was looking like a Championship striker and we thought Murphy might be a player, so its difficult to judge how these players will do longer term at that level. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was that at Preston? Mad to think how the season finished up with the fight shown that day. 

Yeah, at Preston I was convinced Williams was the championship's Stevie G,  Olkowski was the new Gretar Steinson, and Wildshcut was a total waste of space.  1 out of 3 aint bad.  If anyone spots Yanic playing this season let us know.

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Chris Basham playing and winning with Sheff Utd probably only behind Holding for a former wanderers youngster

If someone had told me 4 years ago Basham would start another Premiership game I'd have laughed.  Fair play to him, Billy Sharpe, absolutely making the most of their talent.  Basham could possibly have a shout for the longest period between Prem starts, his last was for us about 10 years ago (unless he played there for Blackpool?)

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

If I’m being honest, I couldn’t give a toss what happens to our players when they leave. The only one i tend to keep half an eye on is Rob Holding

I keep an eye on most; wondering why we're in so much shit with debt given that we've sold a few players to big clubs. The issue is how those in charge managed to negotiate negligible fees.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

If I’m being honest, I couldn’t give a toss what happens to our players when they leave. The only one i tend to keep half an eye on is Rob Holding

Not even on arsenal's bench now is he?

19 hours ago, HomerJay said:

Right back come centre mid. Played at West ham.

Minds gone blank.

That's a great shout, forgot about Joey.  Seems a really wierd coincidence that Basham and JOB are both play midfield or right back, and never seem to make one position their own wherever they go.  Very similar standard players, could have ended up in Div 2 or Prem depending on the fortunes of the clubs they happened to be with at the time, not unlike Nicky Hunt.