Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ex Bolton players still playing

Johnnyrotten

Interesting read that, honking indeed!!  In May we would have happily kept him thinking we would only sign worse players in our situation, but he wouldn't get in our team now unless it was in the same role that Buckley has, a none scoring 'forward'.  Good summary here:

Vela just annoys me because he has nothing, he does a job that any adult who keeps fit and likes football can do. He doesn’t take any responsibility with the ball, doesn’t batter into challenges with high energy, certainly isn’t an attacking threat and to top it off, doesn’t possess any great energy levels or anything, just that of a normal guy who looks after his fitness. There’ll be a good amount of people in the crowd every week who can offer what he can.

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Interesting read that, honking indeed!!  In May we would have happily kept him thinking we would only sign worse players in our situation, but he wouldn't get in our team now unless it was in the same role that Buckley has, a none scoring 'forward'.  Good summary here:

Vela just annoys me because he has nothing, he does a job that any adult who keeps fit and likes football can do. He doesn’t take any responsibility with the ball, doesn’t batter into challenges with high energy, certainly isn’t an attacking threat and to top it off, doesn’t possess any great energy levels or anything, just that of a normal guy who looks after his fitness. There’ll be a good amount of people in the crowd every week who can offer what he can.

Funny one Vela. A couple of seasons ago he had a purple patch as an attacking midfielder that had goals in his game - 10 in 2016/17 (had to wiki that) but then turned into a shit Darren Pratley just chasing & harrying & not much else in his game. Probably a decent enough League 1 player under a manager that plays more football than Parky, but looks like that's his level.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Good read that - well spotted.

Some of these deluded sweaty socks think they're playing in the best league in the World!

In fairness he's not even in the top three midfielders in the Hibs squad, although Hibs fans do continue to mount an ongoing unfair comparison between every midfielder and John McGinn.

I happened to watch some of the Hibs v Hearts game the other night, and besides playing a small part in the run up to a stonking long range goal I barely noticed him playing. Shame really. Was a big fish in a small pond in Bolton. His own worst enemy at times.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I wonder who the oldest Bolton first team player still alive is?

Probably Johnny Wheeler of the 1953 cup final team - he was 91 in July.

He came from Tranmere in 1951 and 5 years later stepped down from the top flight to join Liverpool, and went on to score a hat-trick in 5 minutes to rescue a game against Port Vale.

• Moderators
On 12/11/2019 at 12:44, MalcolmW said:

Probably Johnny Wheeler of the 1953 cup final team - he was 91 in July.

He came from Tranmere in 1951 and 5 years later stepped down from the top flight to join Liverpool, and went on to score a hat-trick in 5 minutes to rescue a game against Port Vale.

Not any more

RIP

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Madine started for Cardiff (I'm assuming their new manager Neil Harris hasnt seen him play for a while?).  I'm fairly sure he;s not even been on the bench so far this season under Warnock.  Replaced after 65 minutes.  Nice assist from Oztumer for the 2nd goal.

We pulled Cardiff’s pants down. 8 mill. Colin wankers Best Buy 

53 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Not as much a pussy as our entire team yesterday.

Anyway you loved him when he was smashing the defenders all over the pitch and scoring all those goals

Smashing defenders? I must’ve missed that 5 minutes. Was it just after half time while I was still at the bar?