Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

I feel exactly the same as I did when Allardyce got appointed. I was only 10 and had no idea who he was, despite knowing he played for us and had done a good job elsewhere. I was gutted that Phil Brown didn’t get the job after a good caretaker record. However I was cautiously optimistic.

Gutted Nolan didn’t get it, yet I’m cautiously optimistic again. Another step towards solidarity and rebuilding. Excited for the next chapter. 

I think this is the correct appointment for our current situation and the high likelihood of League 2 next season. It feels like the right fit with what seems like the homespun approach of Football Ventures. Hill won't have had fortunes to spend, he'll know how to scout lower leagues for good players, he knows the League 1 and League 2 scene very well, he plays good football and he's twice had a promotion from League 2. I hope everyone will be patient with them. We need to build slowly towards next Summer when we can seriously start building a club with momentum again.

Might change the signings strategy over the next 48 hours if any of Hill's former players/favourites are out of contract or otherwise available.

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

We had about that number ready to sign before season. Not sure how many of those are still there now. Surely Hill will want a say?

Who knows but again that’s come from Flitcroft today so they’re obviously aware 

we will only see in time if Hill is happy with them all 

On paper, a sensible appointment. Definitely “old-school” in his managerial approach but has a decent record in the lower leagues, will have plenty of contacts and knowledge about players at this level, and has a reputation for playing a pleasing style of football.

My only concern is that when poor results put him under pressure at Rochdale, he was prone to publicly criticising supporters. If pressure can do that to him there, then it certainly can here, and I hope he's learned and is ready to deal with that.

However, now that he's in he obviously has my full support and I wish him well. There will definitely be a couple more familiar accents around the place.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Who knows but again that’s come from Flitcroft today so they’re obviously aware 

we will only see in time if Hill is happy with them all 

If it’s come from Flitcroft I assume Hill has ok’d it. Think we’ve only got 12 spots in the squad limit.