Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Dunno where he lives now, but all Daves family are top of Halliwell/Smithills folk. Lovely people too.

Apart from Gary who is an utter cunt from the brief dealings I’ve had with him anyway 

very happy with this appointment and the bonus for me is how quick FV have acted. They have sought to steady the ship ASAP so I’m liking this get shit done style 

10 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Happy with Hillcroft. 

Strategy not sentiment. 

They tick the boxes we need as pointed out above. 

Might even get a tune out of Buckley. 

If he gets a tune out of that useless bastard I'll be absolutely astonished. Not sure even Buckley knows how that can be achieved

Happy with this.

I just want a manager we can get behind.

someone I’d want alongside me in the trenches.

someone passionate.

someone who will give the centre back a bollocking if they don’t do what they are suppose to do.

someone who will give the ref what for.

thank fuck someone who won’t sit on his seat all match not knowing what the fuck they are doing 

Interesting that Hill states the incomings aren’t there to ‘replace’ the young lads who have been playing 

weve all said all along that the perfect scenario will be some of the current lads with experience around them

Hill already knows his brief and what he will be working with 

Just now, barrycowdrill said:

Interesting that Hill states the incomings aren’t there to ‘replace’ the young lads who have been playing 

weve all said all along that the perfect scenario will be some of the current lads with experience around them

Hill already knows his brief and what he will be working with 

Bit of PR speak that though isn’t it? We all know that apart from one or two exceptions there is no way these lads should be playing this season. However be good to have some regularly on bench to build experience.

Lived in Rochdale for yonks and saw a lot of Dale over the years, especially in that spell that led to first promotion from L2, as has been said, never had any money but oversaw great work in the academy with abysmal facilities and brought through some really good young players. Also spotted and developed a string of players who ended up being golden nuggets financially and going on to do well at higher level,  Rickie Lambert, Grant Holt,  Scott Hogan a few examples. Dale played some brilliant football then and in the more recent seasons when they went back up and held their own massively against the odds.

Can be a bit prickly when he gets a bit of stick. Sat in main stand once at Spotland and his ongoing dialogue with a couple of moaners in block behind dugout was more entertaining than the game.

As a pair though, him and Flitcroft know what they are doing, will relish the chance they're being given and, with our quality academy / development coaches supporting them, could do well for us if everyone is patient, especially through the rest of this season. 

Good luck to them, I hope it works out for them and us

Edited by ianofcleveleys

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Bit of PR speak that though isn’t it? We all know that apart from one or two exceptions there is no way these lads should be playing this season. However be good to have some regularly on bench to build experience.

Yeh. However with the number of slots available we have no choice but to use

Brockbank, Politic, Zouma and maybe Edwards I would expect to see regularly

the rest, in and around things 

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Good appointment, happy with that.

No doubt Dave Flitty will be arriving shortly as his number 2.

Both Bolton fellas and probably what we need right now.

Edit - Just read the BN link and seen that DF is indeed confirmed as Hills number 2.

It's where we're at right now and these 2 know the lower leagues inside out.

Be reet, for now.

Heart skipped a beat there.  Thought Dougie was making a comeback.

Very pleased with this appointment.  Ecstatic in fact.  The only thing people seem to be able to hold against him is that he hasnt played for Bolton.  99% of teams in the world seem to get by having a manager that hasnt played for them. 

Just now, barrycowdrill said:

Yeh. However with the number of slots available we have no choice but to use

Brockbank, Politic, Zouma and maybe Edwards I would expect to see regularly

the rest, in and around things 

Yeah. Be interesting to find out exactly how many slots we have.

Those are the ones I think can play too.

Between them Hill and Flitcroft must have hundreds of contacts, ex players they've managed , in the bottom 2 divisions, as well as friends generated in the last 20 years.  That counts for a lot especially as a majority of these will be Northern based.  In comparison Nolan still has to build up that network, and a lot of transfers at this level can be traced back to who you know.  Secondly, I remember listening to Flitcroft on Radio Manchester (I think he was Bury boss) thinking I'd walk through brick walls for him if I was a player.  That doesn't make him the best coach in the world, but if you want motivational speeches give him a listen.  Proper salt of the earth with a huge passion for the game and pride in his club.   

On 22/08/2019 at 13:57, Leyther_Matt said:

Keith Hill for me. Understands what the club is about, good record at this level and is used to working with a budget and bringing kids through. 

Same as I posted on page one really. Saw a bit of Rochdale in League Two under Hill and they were great to watch. To have DF alongside him is certainly a bonus. With the way things have been going, I’m sure that they can count on the support of fans so lets see who they can bring in and go from there, good luck to ‘em.  

The flitcrofts lived on my street in Bromley Cross when I was growing up. Factoids! 

Happy with the job going to bolton lads and happy with what people are saying re Hill bringing through youth. 

Would love one or two of the lads we've been forced to play every game making it in the first team consistently with some older pros around them. 

Onwards and upwards!