Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

For those that questioned why I didn’t attend the game last Saturday, this was why. My daughter asked me to go to the Pride parade with her, have a few drinks, a meal, and generally have a catch up on her life and her website project. She doesn’t live with me so I don’t see her that often so face to face time is very valuable

I’ve highlighted one particular part of her social media post from today. That is a nod to WWays. She was stunned by the response from here. I thank all of you that contributed feedback once again for your support.......

As some of you may remember, a year ago I set up a website that allows people to submit and share their personal stories regarding mental health, encouraging people to use their voice and realise that they're not going through this alone.

The response I received was absolutely insane. That insane in fact, that I shut it down after a few months as I couldn't cope with managing the website alongside my own mental health.

But now I'm back 💥 I'm in a better place with my mental health, I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first home, and next week I start my dream job as a Teaching Assistant in a special educational needs school.

So I've decided to relaunch my project. A website where you can anonymously submit your mental health story, in the form of poetry, short stories, song lyrics, or simply anything that expresses you.

www.mindofourown.co.uk

Edited by MancWanderer

Everybody; I do mean everybody, will be affected by mental health issues at some point in their lifetime. Wether that period is triggered by an event, or is a longstanding underlying problem, is open to fate, or genetics. You do not get to choose. More support, more resources are needed, and now. Not promises of how much money 'has been set aside'; you tory cnuts. Put the blocks in place and people will build.

43 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

For those that questioned why I didn’t attend the game last Saturday, this was why. My daughter asked me to go to the Pride parade with her, have a few drinks, a meal, and generally have a catch up on her life and her website project. She doesn’t live with me so I don’t see her that often so face to face time is very valuable

I’ve highlighted one particular part of her social media post from today. That is a nod to WWays. She was stunned by the response from here. I thank all of you that contributed feedback once again for your support.......

As some of you may remember, a year ago I set up a website that allows people to submit and share their personal stories regarding mental health, encouraging people to use their voice and realise that they're not going through this alone.

The response I received was absolutely insane. That insane in fact, that I shut it down after a few months as I couldn't cope with managing the website alongside my own mental health.

But now I'm back 💥 I'm in a better place with my mental health, I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first home, and next week I start my dream job as a Teaching Assistant in a special educational needs school.

So I've decided to relaunch my project. A website where you can anonymously submit your mental health story, in the form of poetry, short stories, song lyrics, or simply anything that expresses you.

www.mindofourown.co.uk

Great stuff proper chuffed to read this.

5 minutes ago, Punchbag said:

I suffer with depression don't talk about it as it seems to go quiet and someone changes the subject which makes me worse i'm on two different meds for it. Maybe there's a support group somewhere.

Have a look at her website mate

www.mindofourown.co.uk

Might be a help? 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Punchbag said:

I suffer with depression don't talk about it as it seems to go quiet and someone changes the subject which makes me worse i'm on two different meds for it. Maybe there's a support group somewhere.

Not sure where you are, but "one point" were a good starting point for me.

Presumably they still exist, have a Google.

One of my sons has schizophrenia and depression and in the last 15 years he's been sectioned twice (total 4 years on a ward) homeless 3 times until I got him off the streets - each time setting him up in a flat (but he didn't cope for long) and he's lived in supported accommodation. The last place he was in (Liverpool) was a shared supported house with support workers on site 24/7 and they were managing his money for him. He had some savings he inherited when my mum died and I found out they were disappearing at a rapid rate.Turns out they were giving him £50 a day and crack was being delivered to the supposedly sheltered accommodation and my lad was lapping it up. So I got him out of there as fast as I could and moved him to a flat just round the corner from us so I could keep an eye on him and tried to get support from the local mental health team. In brief, he's still struggling, eats nothing but crap and is now clinically obese and refuses to engage with the volunteer support worker who tries to help him. It's all come down on me now so I have to see him daily, make sure he showers and washes clothes occasionally, clean his (disgusting) flat, manage his money and on good days have him round for a meal or take him to the pub - but he won't go out for walks or anything that involves exercise despite wanting to lose weight and get fit again. Reckon he'll die before I do - he's in his 30s and I'm in my 60s - and it's nailed on he'll have diabetes before long. On the upside, he hasn't had any non-prescription drugs for 6 months bar CBD and has developed the basic social skills to smile and be polite to my mates who are tolerant enough to talk to him and try to encourage him to motivate himself to try to achieve what he wants.

All in all it's a massive burden on my life. I'm retired but am fit and healthy, and have loads of interests and would love to fill my days doing the stuff I retired to do - which is a spectacularly long list. But I console myself with the thought that although it's obvious he'll never be able to live independently without me, every day he's not on a ward or in dodgy supported accommodation is a day with a reasonable quality of life - and an opportunity to try to turn things around.

Mental health issues can be incredibly debilitating and if you don't want to lock people away in a broken, poorly regulated and hugely underfunded mental health support system, can be an enormous burden on the families. But for me, it's worth the sacrifice even though he's a fat inconsiderate lazy bastard. :)

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

One of my sons has schizophrenia and depression and in the last 15 years he's been sectioned twice (total 4 years on a ward) homeless 3 times until I got him off the streets - each time setting him up in a flat (but he didn't cope for long) and he's lived in supported accommodation. The last place he was in (Liverpool) was a shared supported house with support workers on site 24/7 and they were managing his money for him. He had some savings he inherited when my mum died and I found out they were disappearing at a rapid rate.Turns out they were giving him £50 a day and crack was being delivered to the supposedly sheltered accommodation and my lad was lapping it up. So I got him out of there as fast as I could and moved him to a flat just round the corner from us so I could keep an eye on him and tried to get support from the local mental health team. In brief, he's still struggling, eats nothing but crap and is now clinically obese and refuses to engage with the volunteer support worker who tries to help him. It's all come down on me now so I have to see him daily, make sure he showers and washes clothes occasionally, clean his (disgusting) flat, manage his money and on good days have him round for a meal or take him to the pub - but he won't go out for walks or anything that involves exercise despite wanting to lose weight and get fit again. Reckon he'll die before I do - he's in his 30s and I'm in my 60s - and it's nailed on he'll have diabetes before long. On the upside, he hasn't had any non-prescription drugs for 6 months bar CBD and has developed the basic social skills to smile and be polite to my mates who are tolerant enough to talk to him and try to encourage him to motivate himself to try to achieve what he wants.

All in all it's a massive burden on my life. I'm retired but am fit and healthy, and have loads of interests and would love to fill my days doing the stuff I retired to do - which is a spectacularly long list. But I console myself with the thought that although it's obvious he'll never be able to live independently without me, every day he's not on a ward or in dodgy supported accommodation is a day with a reasonable quality of life - and an opportunity to try to turn things around.

Mental health issues can be incredibly debilitating and if you don't want to lock people away in a broken, poorly regulated and hugely underfunded mental health support system, can be an enormous burden on the families. But for me, it's worth the sacrifice even though he's a fat inconsiderate lazy bastard. :)

I hear you brother! 😊, I have similar problems with a young one, though not as extreme as your case but it does take its toll on your on health & mental wellbeing. All this & being a Wanderer as well... Life's an effing bitch! 😁

• Members

This might be a bit strange jumping straight back in but I do feel I’ve never left the board, despite having to a number of years ago because of work monitoring internet posts and being in the public eye but anyways I digress.

Never thought I would suffer any form of mental illness, Im a very happy go lucky and don’t let things bug me too much, just over two years my daughter was born, she’s fine and so is my wife but the labour was complicated, my wife got what we thought was post natal blues but was in fact PTSD.
It was a tough time in what should have been the happiest time of our lives, my wife felt she couldn’t connect with our daughter. This became a huge stress on me, because I couldn’t understand it and i had to work full time as well as almost feeling like I had to be a full time dad sometimes I had to be away from home which added to the stress it was difficult but we have supportive parents so we got through it.

My wife overcame it and got through it with flying colours, what I didn’t anticipate was how much suppressing any feelings of what i was going through could then lead to me almost wanting to explode. From almost out of nowhere I just changed, I went from being the happiest man alive to feeling low and diagnosed with depression. It was a strange time. I got help, physically and emotionally, my work were and still are incredibly supportive and I got past it. I just thought I was a fucking weirdo.

Anyways since that’s happened I’ve spoke to a few new dads and they went through it, as did my own dad. 
I’ve waffled on here but I’m glad to see Manc and Hoppy relive their battles because the worst thing I think you can do imo is hide how you are feeling and bottle it up because one day it will just come out and there is absolutely nothing wrong with mental illness and it does help to get it out there.

sorry for rambling just felt like if one person reads this and benefits from it, it would have done some good. 

I’ll have a visit to the website 😊

• Members
19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

On 40mg citalopram now me. Do they just keep throwing more at you 🤯

Unfortunately that’s the first thing they prescribed me, seemed like the doc was trying to get me out, then spoke to another doc who listened and preferred a more psychological approach

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

On 40mg citalopram now me. Do they just keep throwing more at you 🤯

It's basically a long term experiment mate. I'm sure we've discussed this in private before, but none of it ever seemed to work for me. I know a lot of people who eventually found the right concoction though. I probably would if I'd stuck to the advice I was given. 

Most important thing regarding mental health is talking about it. Treatment is different for everyone, but letting someone know you're struggling is the biggest step. Which makes me a massive hypocrite as I usually just hide in my shell when I feel like chucking myself under a train. 

Edited by Cheese
I'm a cunt

Fair play, I'm bi polar, with PTSD, anxiety, depression and a load of other bollocks, Talking is one of the hardest things to do, I still can't, but all credit to you for giving someone a safe place where they can. If there is ever anything I can do, give me a shout. I'd be glad to help.