Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

17 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

My take on mental health issues: in November 2019 I was diagnosed with a condition, Ataxia, which affects around 10,000 in the UK, there are different versions and strains, the one I have is Sensory Ataxia, I was given 12 months to live, during tests and scans into the condition I was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung cancer and started chemo in March 2020, the start of lockdowns, believe me my head was in bits but I kept it pretty much to myself, I know I put stuff on FB when I was having the chemo and the words of hope from people was amazing, kept me going. I got the all clear in February 2021 from the cancer, the Ataxia was doing it's best to destroy my Central Nervous System rendering me almost unable to walk at all. On top of this I was told not to go in work as I was too vulnerable, work from home. Again my head was in bits, stuck at home day after day, at first my mates would ring or call round for a brew, that stops as they get bored, I didn't see anyone except my wife and daughter and her kids, I was drinking more and more and felt more and more depressed. My consultant said "we are winning because you are still here".                                    >>I went to Salford Royal on Saturday afternoon (yesterday) for more tests and again he was pleased to see me, next week I have my 5th dose of chemo because the cancer came back in March this year and the chemo started again, my brain is producing poisonous cells that are destroying my Nervous System, the chemo and steroids etc are doing their best to counteract everything, again he said "you really really shouldn't still be here". So for me I think I have handled my mental health reasonably well apart form the bout of heavy drinking, oh and I start a new job om 8th August which is also contributing to my mental health recovery. People are different so they react and act to handle it in their own way.                                                Sorry for the long post

incredible fighting spirit. Can't imagine what it must be like to go through - especially during a lockdown. 

Hope that the new job goes well and you get lots more quality time with your family. 

Seen over social media folk sharing paddy pimnletts comments and offering themselves as support, quite ironic really as not too long ago a lot of them were responsible for someone’s mental health to take a massive nose dive and they even contemplated suicide as a way out. Fortunately that person was strong willed and pulled through. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, anewman said:

Seen over social media folk sharing paddy pimnletts comments and offering themselves as support, quite ironic really as not too long ago a lot of them were responsible for someone’s mental health to take a massive nose dive and they even contemplated suicide as a way out. Fortunately that person was strong willed and pulled through. 

who's that then?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
8 hours ago, gonzo said:

Glad to say I didnt give up on this lad. Told a porky earlier on in the thread, hes actually a good mate, but didnt want stuff getting back.

Hes currently on day 5 in a rehab gaff up in Scotland. Only allowed his phone for an hour twice a week, but he was on last night saying he was doing well.

Cost an arm and a leg :( .... its a shame money seems to buy the best care.

Fingers crossed it works this time.

Hope it works for him. You're a good mate. 

• Members

Feeling a bit lost at the minute , struggling ....Mam been ill last 2 yrs passed away last Thursday , her sister passed away 3 days earlier , my mrs has been in hozzy five weeks now longest we have been apart in the 34 yr we've been together , worried about my old man 86 and deffo got some dementia ....meh life can get to fuck.

11 minutes ago, burnden said:

Feeling a bit lost at the minute , struggling ....Mam been ill last 2 yrs passed away last Thursday , her sister passed away 3 days earlier , my mrs has been in hozzy five weeks now longest we have been apart in the 34 yr we've been together , worried about my old man 86 and deffo got some dementia ....meh life can get to fuck.

Jesus, talk about thick and fast :(

You've every right to feel lost and down mate, dont fight it, process it. The mind will learn to accept it and take it all on.

Stay Strong pal and keep an eye on the old man.

6 hours ago, burnden said:

So sorry for run of bad news, why don't you give Whysup a call (via the Remembrance Group)

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, burnden said:

Sorry to hear that, I know you feel lost at the moment but things will get better. Be there for your dad and hopefully your wife will be out soon. Sometimes life piles shit on you but keep on going pal.