Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Going away next week on a family jaunt to the canaries.

Should be looking forward to it, first sun break in a while with the boys.

Got a massive feeling of dread as my auld enemy in the ale is lurking on the horizon.

As soft and shit as it seems, once I have that first pint when I finish work next week that's me on the ale for 10 days straight in a constant cycle of drinking to not feel ill or walk in to the sea.

Could be in any place in the world having the best possible time, but my next beer will be the only thing on my mind.

I know its coming and powerless to stop it. Only solution is knocking it all on the head completely. I can do this as switch it on and off pretty easily. But once Im in that cycle I just cant get off. Only work stops it, then I'm good for a few weeks.

Hard to explain, nevermind understand.

Fuckin love and hate it in equal measure :D....although the balance is tipping

I'm down to Saturday and Sunday only at the minute 

Except for having a few watching Cheltenham, which i wish i hadn't the next day 

And some on Sunday with a curry, felt ok in the morning then did mammoth session at the gym 

Anyway off to Egypt for a week end of the month and i don't want to drink everyday but i will as I'm on holiday

But if it's not Saturday or Sunday I'm now wired in to feel on edge if i fancy a beer any other night

• Site Supporter
On 10/10/2022 at 14:57, Not in Crawley said:

also, my green beans are MASSIVE, and that cheered me up yesterday.

Don't leave them too long as they can go stringy and tough.

Been a great late season for beans though. Just picked, branched and frozen a load of purple ones.

So, decided to hit that reset button on Monday morning. FGR was the big blowout. Had “my last supper” on Sunday evening with a full roast followed by sticky toffee pudding, one glass of red.

Monday, got the scales out and FUCK ME LIKE… I was expecting to be around 12st 13lbs, at worst pushing 13st 2. Scales told me to fuckin’ sort myself out as I’d ballooned up to 13st 8. Not happy. Got the Ikea paper tape measures out and measured my chest, stomach and thighs. I nearly needed a second tape! All noted on my iPad.

Straight back onto the intermittent fasting plus keto (though that might slip). And exercise.

Mon 19hrs fasted – plus 5 mile run pre-breaking of the fast.

Tue 17hrs fasted – 30 min workout, punch bag, weights, bike.

Wed 17hrs fasted –  3 mile walk.

Still felt emotional, drained and overwhelmed with a few things yesterday (speeding fine, workload, more family shite). Working on it. 

Still procrastinating when I need to get my head down.

Missing the snacks. Missing the crisps. The chocolate. The biscuits. The cake.

Going to give this 50 days of intense effort – not sure about alcohol just yet, midweek is fine, weekends a different ball game.

Believe in targets and stuff like that to give focus. But always hard to find something that’s truly achievable. 

A few things for me would be to get a couple of family matters sorted and “over the line”. Sort out some ongoing business matters that I’ve had to park up. Lose 18 lbs – could be a huge ask! And be fit enough to run an Ultra. All in the next 50 days.

4 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Believe in targets and stuff like that to give focus. But always hard to find something that’s truly achievable. 

A few things for me would be to get a couple of family matters sorted and “over the line”. Sort out some ongoing business matters that I’ve had to park up. Lose 18 lbs – could be a huge ask! And be fit enough to run an Ultra. All in the next 50 days.

give me a shout if you fancy a decent trail run

Have to admit that I’d never really understood the benefits of exercise. Never “been in a bad place” myself but the last 12 months have been testing to say the least. Elderly mother through no fault of her own has been a drain, utter shit on Mrs Manc’s side of the family, and shit at work have really pulled me down

But an early morning swim as often as possible aiming for 6Km a week really clears my head and sets me up for the day. A bike ride on the Fylde or North Wales coast at the weekend every now and again also sorts me out

Just need to reduce the wine and ale intake

6 hours ago, Smiley said:

So, decided to hit that reset button on Monday morning. FGR was the big blowout. Had “my last supper” on Sunday evening with a full roast followed by sticky toffee pudding, one glass of red.

Monday, got the scales out and FUCK ME LIKE… I was expecting to be around 12st 13lbs, at worst pushing 13st 2. Scales told me to fuckin’ sort myself out as I’d ballooned up to 13st 8. Not happy. Got the Ikea paper tape measures out and measured my chest, stomach and thighs. I nearly needed a second tape! All noted on my iPad.

Straight back onto the intermittent fasting plus keto (though that might slip). And exercise.

Mon 19hrs fasted – plus 5 mile run pre-breaking of the fast.

Tue 17hrs fasted – 30 min workout, punch bag, weights, bike.

Wed 17hrs fasted –  3 mile walk.

Still felt emotional, drained and overwhelmed with a few things yesterday (speeding fine, workload, more family shite). Working on it. 

Still procrastinating when I need to get my head down.

Missing the snacks. Missing the crisps. The chocolate. The biscuits. The cake.

Going to give this 50 days of intense effort – not sure about alcohol just yet, midweek is fine, weekends a different ball game.

Hope you get some results mate. 

I find the intermittent fasting thing really tricky. Job is quite demanding and I can't do it without fuel. Though some people seem to find a way and I'm sure you can get used to it. 

One good way of doing for me is eating around 5pm / 6pm for dinner then not eating until 8am. Find this much easier to do and has a similar effect to longer day fasts. 

Edited by London Wanderer

41 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Hope you get some results mate. 

I find the intermittent fasting thing really tricky. Job is quite demanding and I can't do it without fuel. Though some people seem to find a way and I'm sure you can get used to it. 

One good way of doing for me is eating around 5pm / 6pm for dinner then not eating until 8am. Find this much easier to do and has a similar effect to longer day fasts. 

Yep, that kind of works doesn’t it. It’s 14-15 hours as opposed to the 16 hours which is usually classed as the basic fast. I can usually go longer, not sure why, but don’t feel hungry or the need to eat. Almost trying to train my brain that food is for fuel and not for pleasure. And then of course, fasting until 1-2pm means you skip the typical morning fodder. It’s pretty hard not to have carbs in a morning, either toast, crumpets or cereal are the go to. Cooking up eggs/bacon and stuff takes time and effort.

Will it help my mental state? Who knows, but willing to incorporate it and see.

Can’t see me going the full 50 days without breaking out of the fasting or keto, so its how I approach and handle that. Cheat days are usually built-in to avoid major falling off. Only so much kale & spinach one can take!

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Yep, that kind of works doesn’t it. It’s 14-15 hours as opposed to the 16 hours which is usually classed as the basic fast. I can usually go longer, not sure why, but don’t feel hungry or the need to eat. Almost trying to train my brain that food is for fuel and not for pleasure. And then of course, fasting until 1-2pm means you skip the typical morning fodder. It’s pretty hard not to have carbs in a morning, either toast, crumpets or cereal are the go to. Cooking up eggs/bacon and stuff takes time and effort.

Will it help my mental state? Who knows, but willing to incorporate it and see.

Can’t see me going the full 50 days without breaking out of the fasting or keto, so its how I approach and handle that. Cheat days are usually built-in to avoid major falling off. Only so much kale & spinach one can take!

Yes take those days off when you need it and don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of amazing Keto recipes out there so you can get pleasure from the fuel. 

I'm sure you'll see some improvement in your mental state. Just try to lay back on controlling it all too much if that starts stressing you out as well. 

Edited by London Wanderer

9 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Yes take those days off when you need it and don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of amazing Keto recipes out there so you can get pleasure from the fuel. 

I'm sure you'll see some improvement in your mental state. Just try to lay back on controlling it all too much if that starts stressing you out as well. 

I think control and then the lack of it is what has driven me over the edge in recent months. Things spiralling in a downward path that I have no direct control over…. It eats away at you every single day and night. Then when you try and help its brick wall after brick wall. The little things then start to irritate. You drink a bit more than you should. Open the fridge door a few times too many each day. Exercise drops off. Open up BBC News and its all just shit, shit, shit. Really gets you down and the worries then pile up.

Always felt able to deal with stress and maybe one or two major issues at the same time. But when its four and five issues, I’ve found myself getting in a state – only happened once before and I suffered massively with anxiety attacks. Not had them this time, but was unable to ship my daughter back down to Uni for fear of crashing my car (that’s how mad I had got with my thoughts!!).

I know everyone can't do it due to circumstances but I always try and have a cheap week in Tenerife in mid November and mid January. It helps break the dark mornings and nights up into manageable chunks rather than thinking shit, I've got 5 months of this.

1 hour ago, Gonk said:

I know everyone can't do it due to circumstances but I always try and have a cheap week in Tenerife in mid November and mid January. It helps break the dark mornings and nights up into manageable chunks rather than thinking shit, I've got 5 months of this.

Have generally tried to get away in the winter – bit restricted at the minute with having a nipper, so February half term is most likely. Usually pretty grim weather then as well. But agree, a bit of sunshine for a week doesn’t do any harm.

Edited by Smiley

@Smiley

Im certainly no expert mate, but Im not sure entering ketosis and depleting your body of good carbs will do your state of mind too good, if in already a fragile state of mind.

Diet is inexplicably linked to serotonin and dopamine productivity. If those levels are already to cock are we sure we should be fasting and entering keto?

Its a dangerous game keto and carb cutton. Great for weight loss, not too good for you in the long game.

Speaking personally when I cut carbs it sends my mood completely down.

Sounds like you need to load up on good nutrients, water and a good balance of diet and exercise.

Obviously if its worked in the past mate, tell me to fuck off :D

Put your body and mind first mate, fuck your weight for now.

• Site Supporter

Well said Gonzo. What I was trying to say previously, but yours is better.

I look at what foods are naturally around at this time of year- root veg, beans, late season fruits for example.

I reckon biologically we're designed to eat these things- that's why nature provides them- I often find I feel better on the morning if I've had spuds with an evening meal for example. They're available and naturally store quite well. 

Just don't overdo them.

Apples are low gi foods for example, despite containing sugar, so are good for us- especially when eating the skin.

Within the last few weeks my food preference has gone towards more hearty stuff and away from lighter foods and salads. It will switch back come spring.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Well said Gonzo. What I was trying to say previously, but yours is better.

I look at what foods are naturally around at this time of year- root veg, beans, late season fruits for example.

I reckon biologically we're designed to eat these things- that's why nature provides them- I often find I feel better on the morning if I've had spuds with an evening meal for example. They're available and naturally store quite well. 

Just don't overdo them.

Apples are low gi foods for example, despite containing sugar, so are good for us- especially when eating the skin.

Within the last few weeks my food preference has gone towards more hearty stuff and away from lighter foods and salads. It will switch back come spring.

Aka the cave man diet.

If you can't kill it, pick it, or dig it... You cant eat it! 💪

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Aka the cave man diet.

If you can't kill it, pick it, or dig it... You cant eat it! 💪

I've just cut out chocolate and "sweets".. allowing myself some crisps etc. 

Started at beginning of September at 20 stone 10 lbs, I'm now on 20 stone 2 lbs. Target is 19 stone, then I'll review. 

Walking is a no go atm, legs have gone massive through daft workouts and chubb rub is a horrid thing, I've bought a cheap bike, went out Sunday but I've had something on each night. Work work work atm. 

I think Smileys plans ace, it's a trudge but gives you focus.. I couldn't do it. 

57 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Something in that.

Did you know the berries of the fuchsia plant are edible?

Currently waiting for some to mature before trying them! :)

Imagine being the first guy to try those pointy little mushrooms you sometimes find this time of year :)

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Imagine being the first guy to try those pointy little mushrooms you sometimes find this time of year :)

Kinell it's a cracking year for fungi-here's one I found in September. 

When I was in local government, I'd strim thousands of the bastards; must have inhaled millions of spores. Amazing we didn't all finish up tripping off our tits.

20220911_105116.thumb.jpg.b5edc4a24e92295af0dfe0e419eace1a.jpg

Had a curry this afternoon at the BWFC business event. Skipped the rice, the samosa, the naan bread and had 3 of the small poppadoms. Black coffee and a few glasses of water. First meal of the day. Less nutritious than if I had been at home. Got home had a spinach/kale/pumpkin seed/sunflower seed/unsweetened almond milk smoothie. It was delicious and full of nutrients. Tea was chicken with some piri piri salt plus cauliflower rice cooked with a little oil, mushrooms, courgette, pepper and peas. Supper Greek yoghurt, a few blueberries, a couple of strawberries, smallest dollop of honey and a spoonful of peanut butter. 

Job done. Not zero carbs, but as low as possible. Had a day off exercise today. Got a big hike in the Peaks tomorrow and probably a trail run in the Peaks on Sunday. Travelling with some 0% beers. Not saying I won’t have a full % beer in the pub in Hope and Edale, will just see how the land lies.

Spoke to the doctor this morning, blood tests have shown no physical symptoms, so its all in my shed! Opted NOT to go on meds – even though everyone one them says they work a treat.

Edited by Smiley