Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool

burnden

As a young lad, got a lift with some older Bolton lads to our Boxing Day match around 1985 ish???. I thought they were stopping off at a pub for a few drinks, as there was a coach load of very handy looking lads, apparently it was Blackpool's pub and they wouldn't come out to play with them. I've loved Bolton Blackpool matches ever since (Been to previous ones at their gaff, but this seemed special for some reason). The Sherpa Van night match, with that crappy fence segegating the fans outside being ripped down.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

As a young lad, got a lift with some older Bolton lads to our Boxing Day match around 1985 ish???. I thought they were stopping off at a pub for a few drinks, as there was a coach load of very handy looking lads, apparently it was Blackpool's pub and they wouldn't come out to play with them. I've loved Bolton Blackpool matches ever since (Been to previous ones at their gaff, but this seemed special for some reason). The Sherpa Van night match, with that crappy fence segegating the fans outside being ripped down.

That the game 3 days after Hillsborough? Hence probably the fence removed

5 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

It was.

I wrote a limerick about him at school so I think you’ll find I’m the SME here.

Just looked.  You're right. Apologies to Johnny. The old noggin let me down. Again.

Fair play to Blackpool if they sell 2k for Monday. That's a great effort 

• Members

Been the perfect weekend for me. All football bets up; everything going swimmingly north of the border; DMB's losing again; Packers great win and the Badgers winning effortlessly with Jonathan Taylor running riot.

I would trade it all for a win tonight. Once we break the seal, convinced that you lads will be in for a far better season than any of us imagined. COYFWM.

Hate these donkey lashers , remember them giving it large after they stopped us getting into the playoff's celebrating Leicester's goal against Forest in the last minute when & draw would of seen us in the play off's. (Freedman's masterplan game ie Rob Hall).

What a shitehole of a place Blackpool is also, gypo's heaven that place now. 

Edited by Okocha10

• Members
9 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Hate these donkey lashers , remember them giving it large after they stopped us getting into the playoff's celebrating Leicester's goal against Forest in the last minute when & draw would of seen us in the play off's. (Freedman's masterplan game ie Rob Hall).

What a shitehole of a place Blackpool is also, gypo's heaven that place now. 

I know mate. Turd laden sea and fast food squelched pavements. One day they'll listen.

19 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Leicester's goal against Forest in the last minute when & draw would of seen us in the play off's. (Freedman's masterplan game ie Rob Hall).

I might be wrong, because it was fucking ages ago and it doesn’t sound like me, but I’m not sure that even registered at the time. I’m pretty sure I thought it was win or bust, and have no recollection of following scores elsewhere in the closing stages.

5 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

I might be wrong, because it was fucking ages ago and it doesn’t sound like me, but I’m not sure that even registered at the time. I’m pretty sure I thought it was win or bust, and have no recollection of following scores elsewhere in the closing stages.

Had they drawn we'd have been in. I guess they were never drawing thought because both sides needed a win to get there. So they just threw kitchen sink at each other last 20 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

Us drawing at the time with Blackpool & Forest drawing against Leicester would of seen us in the play off's but due to Forest & Leicester both having the chance to jump in the play off's think both teams threw everyone forward which led to Leicester scoring at the death. Shouldn't even led to that at the time as we all know Freedman fucked up the line up from the start. Here is the table mate from that year https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/championship/2012-13/table.html

Freeman cocked up at Leicester in our penultimate game from what I recall - level after 80 mins which would have put us in play off pos going into Blackpool game - in stead he went gung ho in last ten mins - Leicester caught us on the break to win 3-2 -- I think!!!

5 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Freeman cocked up at Leicester in our penultimate game from what I recall - level after 80 mins which would have put us in play off pos going into Blackpool game - in stead he went gung ho in last ten mins - Leicester caught us on the break to win 3-2 -- I think!!!

I think you could argue that as bad as he was for most of his time here had NGog not got injured against Leicester we'd have made the playoffs. He was playing really well at the time. 

There were 3 games to go after Leicester. We drew two of them. With losing NGog and Spearing on top of other injuries we had it left us just too weak. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

27 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think you could argue that as bad as he was for most of his time here had NGog not got injured against Leicester we'd have made the playoffs. He was playing really well at the time. 

There were 3 games to go after Leicester. We drew two of them. With losing NGog and Spearing on top of other injuries we had it left us just too weak. 

Craig Dawson loan deal not being till end of the season I feel cost us big time as well.

2 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Craig Dawson loan deal not being till end of the season I feel cost us big time as well.

Yep - that as well. We essentially lost 3 of our better players right at the end (spine of our side) and we were already stretched with long terms like CYL, Holden and Wheater being out. 

14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yep - that as well. We essentially lost 3 of our better players right at the end (spine of our side) and we were already stretched with long terms like CYL, Holden and Wheater being out. 

Chungy played nearly every game that season and missed our best chance in the second half against Blackpool.