Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

SJM to many is still a hero. He led the anti Anderson marches. Also for what he did as a player here he deserves a load of respect. Ok there has been a few mistakes since but still an all time great at the club. 

The academy changes now have been explained from a business and football perspective. Pretty sure there be impact on certain individuals but rightly not discussing that in public. Philips and Lee may be the biggest names but sure others too and they deserve to have that sorted in private as with any business. 

• Site Supporter

For me, the telling thing was what they said about SJM connecting with former players who feel they've been wronged etc by the club. 

I'd expect to see 1 or 2 appearances doing draws from Campo, SKD amongst others. Perhaps hoping 1 or 2 of the old pros have a few quid stuffed down the back of a settee, good contacts within the game or contacts in business who are not short of a bob or 2. Explore all possible revenue avenues while bringing a feel good factor back (or trying to).

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

For me, the telling thing was what they said about SJM connecting with former players who feel they've been wronged etc by the club. 

I'd expect to see 1 or 2 appearances doing draws from Campo, SKD amongst others. Perhaps hoping 1 or 2 of the old pros have a few quid stuffed down the back of a settee, good contacts within the game or contacts in business who are not short of a bob or 2. Explore all possible revenue avenues while bringing a feel good factor back (or trying to).

He's done one recently. I'm sure McGinlay has likes of Campo, Hierro and Djorkaeff on speed dial....

20 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

He's done one recently. I'm sure McGinlay has likes of Campo, Hierro and Djorkaeff on speed dial....

May not be your idea of an ambassador but he is a legend and has an infectious enthusiasm for the club. No doubt FV would rather have him inside in the tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in. Plus you might not see the point but i bet him turning up at hospitals,kids parties, retirements etc will make some fans day so why not? 

Just now, snowball said:

May not be your idea of an ambassador but he is a legend and has an infectious enthusiasm for the club. No doubt FV would rather have him inside in the tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in. Plus you might not see the point but i bet him turning up at hospitals,kids parties, retirements etc will make some fans day so why not? 

It seems like a bit of a luxury in our current position - and the community building work is surely coordinated by a team of people who get the current first team out etc...

I'm not keen on the role itself - if you're going to have one McGinlay is probably fine - I just don't really see the point. You build links and community integration over a long period and through the actions of the club as a whole. But its not a huge issue. 

• Members
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

It'll just be SJM and Zico rocking up at schools, community groups having a laugh with the kids and visiting sick kiddies in Bolton royal.

He's perfect for that role.

Zico had it made when he was was the supporters liaison officer. Basically went to away games got pissed and stood on the concourse 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

1 hour ago, snowball said:

This and this.

The more I think about SJM doing it, the more it makes sense.

As for jobs for the boys; pretty much every club seems to have old players involved in some way doing similar things. Might be talking to corporate guests or whatever, it's all part of the wider experience.

14 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Jobs for the boys 

With the restrcuturing of the coaching staff and likely a high number of ex players being moved on then I think its a wise move to have someone who resonates with the fanbase onboard and McGinlay fits that bill.   

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

With the restrcuturing of the coaching staff and likely a high number of ex players being moved on then I think its a wise move to have someone who resonates with the fanbase onboard and McGinlay fits that bill.   

Yes.

I would imagine he's also likely to put a proportion of his wages back over the bar. :)

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This and this.

The more I think about SJM doing it, the more it makes sense.

As for jobs for the boys; pretty much every club seems to have old players involved in some way doing similar things. Might be talking to corporate guests or whatever, it's all part of the wider experience.

Yes you see that at some places ex players doing speaking etc in corporate 

however I can’t see the corporate side booming in league 2 

The u-23s were a beautifully coached team (by Lee) 2 years ago when they won the national league. Unfortunately the pass and move football was totally at odds with the Parkinson lump it style.

The good players were never given a sniff of 1st team football by Parkinson and we have a lousy record of bringing through our own. 20 mins now and then in a failing team wouldn't have made much difference.

18 yos straight into the league doesn't strike me as a winning formula, remember early season? And trying out overseas players/non leaguers should be a key for us and the u-23s are the means to do this.

So sorry Tobias, this is a daft idea.

37 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Club currently advertising for a Head of Commercial who would take responsibility for boosting corporate sales.

20 minutes ago, passmosster said:

The u-23s were a beautifully coached team (by Lee) 2 years ago when they won the national league. Unfortunately the pass and move football was totally at odds with the Parkinson lump it style.

The good players were never given a sniff of 1st team football by Parkinson and we have a lousy record of bringing through our own. 20 mins now and then in a failing team wouldn't have made much difference.

18 yos straight into the league doesn't strike me as a winning formula, remember early season? And trying out overseas players/non leaguers should be a key for us and the u-23s are the means to do this.

Cheers David. Can you give us a quick rundown of the current whereabouts of that "beautifully coached team", please? And let's not forget that the "national league" they won wasn't exactly top tier.

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

I would suggest he or she will have a job on their hands 

Won't disagree with that, though there may be an opportunity to engage with a greater number of smaller local companies at League Two level that might have been the case when chasing big corporate bucks in the Championship or Prem.

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Reduce prices, special upgrades for season ticket holders, job done. 

They already do that, but I expect this would have a certain amount of engagement with local businesses and the like and give them a bit of care and attention that might have been lacking in previous years.

Edited by Leyther_Matt

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Won't disagree with that, though there may be an opportunity to engage with a greater number of smaller local companies at League Two level that might have been the case when chasing big corporate bucks in the Championship or Prem.

They already do that, but I expect this would have a certain amount of engagement with local businesses and the like and give them a bit of care and attention that might have been lacking in previous years.

Whoever gets the gig it won’t happen overnight like you say they need to somehow tap into the local community 

I’m fairly confident ticket prices will remain pretty much the same 

16 hours ago, Horwich said:

Nothing at all. I just know he is not very good at his highly paid job. Convince me otherwise. Just supporting FV. Doing what should have been done years ago.

Tbh honest I can’t as I don’t have an opinion. It’s not summat that I’ve really thought about and I’ve no idea how much he’s paid. Just wondered what had annoyed you so much that’s all

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Club currently advertising for a Head of Commercial who would take responsibility for boosting corporate sales.

Arguably a good reason to have ex players around: help make a better all round package. We can't rely on some coming just because it's premier league football, but can make it a good experience.

Good to see off field recruitment to boost income generally.

3 hours ago, passmosster said:

Just cant agree with any of this.  The U23s is nowhere near the level of even league two. And the better young players are often ready at 18/19, especially if given real experience elsewhere. The U23s team was not good enough for the level the first team were competing at. And the fact these players aren’t now playing regular football at that level shows it wasn’t a stubborn manager. It was a manager who knew what they were doing.

• Moderators

Herein lies the problem with academies, they produce pass and move players. Looks great against other academy sides where it's just a contest of who can pass and move the best. Doesn't translate into "mens" football, where physical players are going to smash into you. Fuck all to do with Parkinson, absolutely fuck all.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Herein lies the problem with academies, they produce pass and move players. Looks great against other academy sides where it's just a contest of who can pass and move the best. Doesn't translate into "mens" football, where physical players are going to smash into you. Fuck all to do with Parkinson, absolutely fuck all.

I can get that to a point, but at some point these youngsters have to be blooded to give them that experience and physical 'baptism' to find out if they can manage it.

As well as they may be coached, at some point they have to be given an opportunity to "grow up" for the want of a better description.

I don't suppose it helps if there's little correlation between what the first team and the youth set up are doing.

The interview with TP suggests that they are looking for this sort of continuity, which seems perfectly reasonable.