Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free - or recommended - HMRC compatible book keeping software

Smiley

Ok, its time to make tax digital and, alas, my 16 years of getting by with Excel and filing my return manually online is now over.

Before I splash out on Xero or Quickbooks - are there any free and easy-to-use alternatives (Zipbooks comes up on a Google search) that folk are using which are HMRC compatible?

My Mrs does books for coupltof small businesses and tax returns for couple of sole traders using xero.

Before she converted to this last year from Excel sheets I had built for her I had seen links to "coming soon" Excel add-ons that lined the data up for uploading to HMRC. It wasn't rocket science as both effectively databases. Worth a Google to see if has been sorted.

On 21/09/2019 at 07:28, green genie said:

My Mrs does books for coupltof small businesses and tax returns for couple of sole traders using xero.

Before she converted to this last year from Excel sheets I had built for her I had seen links to "coming soon" Excel add-ons that lined the data up for uploading to HMRC. It wasn't rocket science as both effectively databases. Worth a Google to see if has been sorted.

Are you an excel wiz? 

2 hours ago, Big E said:

Reckon any of them would know how to pull info from specific files named in a folder :D

this might get you on your way - depends on your version of excel - Power query is an free downloadable add-in for 2010 and 2013, built in as standard under get and transform in 2015 / 365 / 2019.

Takes a bit of getting used to, and saving the excel files as csv if possible is quicker.

There's loads of reading out there

Edited by Gonk

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 20:52, Smiley said:

Ok, its time to make tax digital and, alas, my 16 years of getting by with Excel and filing my return manually online is now over.

Before I splash out on Xero or Quickbooks - are there any free and easy-to-use alternatives (Zipbooks comes up on a Google search) that folk are using which are HMRC compatible?

If you have a decent account who uses Xero they will provide it for you.

and yes you are a tight git.