Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ricky G

L/H White

Saw him for the first time for us at Hartlepool in the League Cup. 3-0, Nathan Blake hat trick. He was a sub and was warming up with an all yellow kit and gold boots (before everyone wore them). I thought he'd better be good wearing those - he was!

About a week later he came on as sub at West Brom and scored a very late winner for a 3-2 win.

Class. Shame he had some nasty injuries along the way.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

proper pro

This, and a top fella too from what I've heard.

I first remember seeing him playing in the world cup. Thought he looked good and that it would be great to sign him, but didn't think we ever could.

Then bingo, and one of, if not my favourite player arrived.

4 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

About a week later he came on as sub at West Brom and scored a very late winner for a 3-2 win.

Class. Shame he had some nasty injuries along the way.

Yes I remember that game, night match and there was a bit of late evening sunshine down the edge of one wing and a bloke near me shouted “give him the ball in the sun he’ll think he’s back in Jamaica and skin the full back”..

4 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

What did he order? 

I should say I can't remember as it was about 18 years ago but he got a max size bargain bucket with a bottle of pop and loads of hot wings.

Probably mentioned it on here also but served Ricketts at counter just before full time of a league cup game he'd been subbed off in once too. Can't remember his order though.

Just now, Marc505 said:

I should say I can't remember as it was about 18 years ago but he got a max size bargain bucket with a bottle of pop and loads of hot wings.

Probably mentioned it on here also but served Ricketts at counter just before full time of a league cup game he'd been subbed off in once too. Can't remember his order though.

Think ricketts carried on eating KFCs after he left us

I remember his first season, in Div 1 under Todd, he kept falling over, he was like a little kid wearing the wrong footwear against the adults.  He wasnt famed for his long distance shooting but I remember a couple of crackers against Barnsley and Newcastle I think which were as good as any of our famous goals.  I've just watched our 2-1 win at OT when Nolan and Ricketts famously scored, I forgot that Gardner was about an inch off winning it for us just before Ricketts goal.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember his first season, in Div 1 under Todd, he kept falling over, he was like a little kid wearing the wrong footwear against the adults.  He wasnt famed for his long distance shooting but I remember a couple of crackers against Barnsley and Newcastle I think which were as good as any of our famous goals.  I've just watched our 2-1 win at OT when Nolan and Ricketts famously scored, I forgot that Gardner was about an inch off winning it for us just before Ricketts goal.

That goal against Newcastle in the 4-3 was brilliant, most of the 7 in that game were!

I remember another top one he scored against Newcastle a few years later and one against West Ham that were both crucial.

Not seen it for years either but we got hammered by Derby at home in our first season back in PL but he scored an equaliser at one point which sent the place mad, a long range volley I think. Ace player.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The goal in Cardiff against Preston was superb as well.,

Oh aye. Cork out of the bottle moment that. The point in time at which you realised we'd be playing premier league football the following season.

Similar to Robbie Savage's winner at Wrexham.