Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Looks like we do what we want....

tomski

If the EFL impose any penalty that kills any hope of staying up, then we might as well go back to playing the U-23's for the rest of the season.

If they don't want us to have a chance of competing, let's not compete and let's fuck the integrity of the league again.

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

If the EFL impose any penalty that kills any hope of staying up, then we might as well go back to playing the U-23's for the rest of the season.

If they don't want us to have a chance of competing, let's not compete and let's fuck the integrity of the league again.

Precisely - send the loan players back - there's zero point paying their wages. Blood the kids on a rotation and start building properly for next year. This season will effectively have been ended by the EFL. If it hasn't been already.

Said at the time however that those games should have been played. Shit decision to pull us IMHO.

43 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Said at the time however that those games should have been played. Shit decision to pull us IMHO.

Maybe. It’s been said before, I daresay umpteen times, but I struggle to see how they can do us for not playing the kids against Donny when they wouldn’t let us play the kids against Brentford. And I also struggle to see any justification for doing us twice for events in two different seasons, under two jurisdictions with no relation to the current incumbents.

We are going to get fucked, though.

1 hour ago, enzo gambaro said:

Maybe. It’s been said before, I daresay umpteen times, but I struggle to see how they can do us for not playing the kids against Donny when they wouldn’t let us play the kids against Brentford. And I also struggle to see any justification for doing us twice for events in two different seasons, under two jurisdictions with no relation to the current incumbents.

Are you sure they wouldn't let us pay the kids against Brentford? Thought everyone had gone on strike over unpaid wages and then we couldn't play due to the safety certificate issue. 

1 hour ago, enzo gambaro said:

They make it up as they go along. Blackpool’s admin had a zero point deduction last year 

1 hour ago, Andy Gee said:

Are you sure they wouldn't let us pay the kids against Brentford? Thought everyone had gone on strike over unpaid wages and then we couldn't play due to the safety certificate issue. 

I think it might've been an FA/PL directive that prevented us from playing the U23's rather than the EFL. The EFL were at one stage keen for us to play the U16's just to get the fixture played but, if my memory serves me correctly, Brentford told the EFL they wouldn't be in a position to play the fixture within four days after the end of the season. They were then awarded the points.

I had a look the other night 

It appears we couldn’t play the first game because of a strike, not sure if the EFL said we couldn’t play the kids or not. The kids had played on the Thursday night which only gave them 48 hours recovery I suppose. However, the re arranged game for the following Tuesday was canned as we didn’t have a safety certificate. Either way, we are banged to rights on that one. Not sure why that means a deduction this season though, surely it should have come off last season and we would have finished below Ipswich 

With regards Donny, I don’t see how they will let us get away with cancelling that at short notice. If the kids thing was an issue then we could have flagged it a week or even two before. Rumour has it, we weren’t in a position to play the game, safety certificate again perhaps. Another one where we are banged to rights, this one should come off this season as well

Will the game be replayed, I’d bet that Donny don’t think it should be and they should get the points like Brentford did 

Its a shit show and will potentially have implications on promotion / relegation come May

Don’t think this upturn in results will sit comfortably with the “independent panel” 

I think the closer we are to the improbable they will change the punishment to make it impossible 

read the idea of double points for the return game with Donny today. 6 for the win, 2 for the draw. The more I think about it the more sense it makes..

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Don’t think this upturn in results will sit comfortably with the “independent panel” 

I think the closer we are to the improbable they will change the punishment to make it impossible 

read the idea of double points for the return game with Donny today. 6 for the win, 2 for the draw. The more I think about it the more sense it makes..

That'd suit the EFL as long as they can also word the ref to make sure the 6 points are going to South Yorkshire. 

56 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Definitely against the rules.

7 hours ago, tomski said:

Looks similar. Happy to be proven wrong if I am though.

AB76C48E-CA07-4713-8B3F-E4377F03EFDA.jpeg

We went into admin because we didn't pay our bills or players as a club.

Blackpool went into receivership because Oyston owed £25 million personally to Belokon. It wasn't the football clubs debt. Just the only way of getting Oyston out. Blackppol as a club didn't benefit financially by writing any debt off or gain any advantage in doing it so that is why they weren't punished and the EFL didn't dock them points. 

“The EFL board said they "agreed that the appointment of the receiver is not material to the club's ability to fulfil its obligations as a member club and as a result should not be regarded as having suffered an insolvency event, meaning a 12-point deduction is not applicable".”

The more relevant bit with regards to Blackpool and our situation is their abandonment against Huddersfield in 2015 rather than anything to do with our admin deduction. They got a three point deduction, suspended for two years, and never had to replay the game, so there’s a reasonable precedent of sorts for us not playing the Brentford game. That said, the three points would probably be triggered for us by not playing the Donny game. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

“The EFL board said they "agreed that the appointment of the receiver is not material to the club's ability to fulfil its obligations as a member club and as a result should not be regarded as having suffered an insolvency event, meaning a 12-point deduction is not applicable".”

The more relevant bit with regards to Blackpool and our situation is their abandonment against Huddersfield in 2015 rather than anything to do with our admin deduction. They got a three point deduction, suspended for two years, and never had to replay the game, so there’s a reasonable precedent of sorts for us not playing the Brentford game. That said, the three points would probably be triggered for us by not playing the Donny game. 

Surely only if the suspended points deduction had already been awarded. If the EFL had got their collective arses in gear and given us a suspended three points deduction at the end of last season then I get that the Doncaster game would have triggered the points deduction. I wonder if, had we escaped relegation last season, then they'd have acted upon the Brentford punishment.

1 hour ago, Andy Gee said:

We went into admin because we didn't pay our bills or players as a club.

Blackpool went into receivership because Oyston owed £25 million personally to Belokon. It wasn't the football clubs debt. Just the only way of getting Oyston out. Blackppol as a club didn't benefit financially by writing any debt off or gain any advantage in doing it so that is why they weren't punished and the EFL didn't dock them points. 

Fair enough. I struggle to agree that we have benefited financially as opposed to Blackpool (as opposed to sweaty) but understand your point

29 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Surely only if the suspended points deduction had already been awarded. If the EFL had got their collective arses in gear and given us a suspended three points deduction at the end of last season then I get that the Doncaster game would have triggered the points deduction. I wonder if, had we escaped relegation last season, then they'd have acted upon the Brentford punishment.

Yes fair point and probably one that we’d argue. For reference, Blackpool had their game abandoned in May and found out their punishment the first week in August. 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Fair enough. I struggle to agree that we have benefited financially as opposed to Blackpool (as opposed to sweaty) but understand your point

I think writing off debt is benefitting financially and was an integral part in any deal being done. If we hadn't I think we would be in the same boat as Bury now.