Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst Score Lines You Have Ever Witnessed.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, tomski said:

When does this happen now?

I think the current crop, particularly the kids, are getting quite a bit of sympathy with what went on at the start of this season and back end of last but we've had a lot of players, particularly, in fact wholly defenders and goal keepers who got dog's abuse every time they were named. 

Plenty of times I felt for the likes of Aiden Davison who got stick for just not being Keith Brannagan. People forget he was in goal for many of our giant killing exploits. 

Edited by MickyD

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I think the current crop, particularly the kids, are getting quite a bit of sympathy with what went on at the start of this season and back end of last but we've had a lot of players, particularly, in fact wholly defenders and goal keepers who got dog's abuse every time they were named. 

Plenty of times I felt for the likes of Aiden Davison who got stick for just not being Keith Brannagan. People forget he was in goal for many of our giant killing exploits. 

I still can’t remember anyone being singled out in recent times (last 10 years) even the  claydog it was more laughter, despair than anything angry.

I think as a fan base we have let a lot of people off for years. I think the only one who ended up with pelters was perhaps Dean Moxey.

I never minded Davidson or Steve Banks (similar) I preferred them as back up goalies though. 

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Black Sunday and getting gubbed 6-0 at home by Chelsea in a League Cup replay after a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge (Graham Rowe scored for us - the other one in the Henry ''Chopper' Mowbray and Peter Nicko triumvirate from Blackpool).

Remember the Chelsea games - we took a shed load (see what I did there) to Stamford Bridge and nearly won it

8 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I went to both those matches, have never seen us ship 7 in.

Man Utd hurt far more. We were 6-0 down at Notts at half time so it could have been a lot worse.

There was a photo of the 1,500 or so Bolton fans at Notts in a  WanderersWorldwide fanzine.Seem to remember there were portacabins for bogs under the stand which weren't suitable for such a large following

That Notts County game, bloody wierd.  They put us in a tiny terrace (with the big open terrace unoccupied) and it was rammed.  I'd say 2k, not much off half the crowd. I seem to remember hundreds of us had those blue and white peak caps on that were a fashion at the time.  6-0 at half time against a team at bottom of league.  Unbelievable.  And we won the 2nd half and went mad when we scored.

Aston Villa in semi should have been first & last team to play in Final at old wembley. Thanks deano

Notts County League Cup 0-6 at half time iirc?

Oldham in FA Cup after beating big boys typical Bolton

Watford in play offs. Was sure we were going to win that one

Black Sunday

Didnt go Stoke game or Lisbon or theyd be on here so would Reading & Saturday & Barry Knightgate.

Need to stop now or samaritans will be next stop 

Stoke at Wembley only one for me. Went there with such hope that it was crushing

Black Sunday was a bit meh. No massive surprise so it didn’t mean a lot

For me it’s never really been the scoreline that’s been the worst bit. It’s games like the 2-2 at Tranmere that denied us the 100 points/goals and THAT 0-1 at Wigan

Saturday was the first time I've seen us concede 7.

Black Sunday and Notts County were my only 6ers.  The Notts County one was bizarre, where we kept kicking off, losing possession and then conceding. I'm sure we conceded 5 in 7 minutes (Harkouk hat trick?) but might be mis remembering that.

Seen a few 5's sadly.

The one at QPR on the plastic was 7-1. Wayne Foster scored for us iirc

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

I'd wangled a business trip to Colchester, and nipped across for that match.

I still can't believe how biased he was. 

I worked in Norfolk at the time so went along 

Thing was at work I shared a small office with one other person 

An Ipswich fan 

I'm amazed I never committed murder the next day 

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

I'd wangled a business trip to Colchester, and nipped across for that match.

I still can't believe how biased he was. 

We all moan about referees being shit or favouring the other team somewhat,  but that is the only game of any sort I have been to were the referee had been blatantly cheating for 1 side , wasn't Sheepshanks a bigwig in the F.A at the time and not long after Knight was made a Premier League Referee.

On the hammering front , Tranmere in the League Cup semi was Fucking dire , also numerous Forest/derby hammering,  and Mansfield away 0-4 we were top and they were rock bottom 1991 , oh and Rotherham.

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

One of my worst defeats was away at Blackpool in a meaningless cup competition. It was a local semi final or final i think and we'd been undefeated for about around 20+ games and were massive favourites. I think it may have been the 99 points and 100 goal season. 

I’m really struggling to think of which game you mean here Micheal.

We weren’t in the Sherpa van or whatever during that season and I cant remember us playing at Bloomfield, bar a friendly from 1993 (1-1, reeves) right up until the prem game under coyle. 

Accy was bad but not a patch on others. Just a bad day at the office for me. It’s not like it’s been coming and we’ve bee cut wide open ever week. 

You won’t be stoke for embarrassment. On Telly, odds on favourites, at Wembley, semi final. Ticks every box. Not to mention what it started. 

Bristol was shocking as it just summed up what we were. Squad full of shit house mercenaries that didn’t give two fucks. Apathy reigned, everyone had had enough. Was like putting a dog down. I didn’t go to a game after that.

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I’m really struggling to think of which game you mean here Micheal.

We weren’t in the Sherpa van or whatever during that season and I cant remember us playing at Bloomfield, bar a friendly from 1993 (1-1, reeves) right up until the prem game under coyle. 

I think it was the unbeaten run in 1990/91 , we lost 0-3 at Blackpool in the Leyland Daf cup .