Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton drummer(s)

Thomas

Hi! 

First of all, I must say that I'm not familiar to Bolton's history whatsoever. I post this mainly about curiosity. Some time ago I read somewhere that in the year of 1997, a drummer was installed (by the club?) in the South Stand to enhance the atmosphere in the Reebok Stadium and since then I am a little bit intrigued by this decision. I have some questions on this subject and I really hope some of you can help me out. For how long has the guy been drumming in the stadium? How was the response in the rest of the stadium? Does the guy who picked up the drumsticks by then still come to the University of Bolton Stadium? Was Bolton Wanderers the first English club to 'install' a drummer on the stands?

My knowledge on this subject doesn't go too far, as you guys can probably tell. Please forgive me if I've misunderstood some of the things I read before. Hope some of you guys can help me out though.

Ok Thomas the drummer is not a regular feature & I' m not even sure he has surfaced this season so far .When first introduced by a previous regime it was club organised( to help improve atmosphere) but never really caught on (non spontanious initiatives seldom work) We actually dont need a drummer as the vibe is much better now although if one turned up he would probably get a mixed reception ie if he was stood next to me he might end up with it around his head that said I am an old fart.

There are certainly a few different instances - the most recent drummer has been in a sparsely populated corner of the East Stand, towards the North. It would probably be more suited to be at the other end of the East Stand with the yoof, but for whatever reason I don't think the 'ultra' culture is particularly likely to catch on there when compared to how it has gone at Huddersfield, Palace or a few Scottish clubs.

The drummers you refer to in your original post weren't there in 1997 and it certainly wasn't until we were in the Premier League under Allardyce that they were introduced so 2001ish. Was basically a big fuck off bass drum at the front of the North Stand that largely got on everyone's tits.

Can't remember if this was slightly before or slightly after the samba band kind of thing that we had for a spell that were between the tiers in the North Stand, probably when the club first attempted to create the 'singing section' there in the hope of shifting people away from near the away fans.

Seem to remember the Samba band being introduced in our first season in the Premier League under Allardyce, so 2001. 
Actually thought they added to the atmosphere at the time, not that I’m a fan usually.

Our atmosphere was definitely better this season when the top tiers were closed. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Seem to remember the Samba band being introduced in our first season in the Premier League under Allardyce, so 2001. 
Actually thought they added to the atmosphere at the time, not that I’m a fan usually.

Our atmosphere was definitely better this season when the top tiers were closed. 

Light blue touch paper and stand clear. =@💥