Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrews at home 29 Dec

Burndens Bogs

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Playing with a real defence has to be an improvement, as seen today after Bridcutt went off.  I'm his biggest fan but Hill has managed to turn him into a liability so that's its a bonus when he's injured.  I like Lowe too but he's been poor recently, we wont miss either in the short term, until Hill comes to his senses on Bridcutt's best position.

I'm not sure about that. We're now faced with a midfield of Graham and Murphy.

4 hours ago, Spider said:

If you applauded Lowe off the pitch after that tackle you’ve got a big bag of catshit where your brain should be. He clearly has big plans for NYE, there’s no other explanation.

Norburn bossed it for them 

Darcy excellent for us.

Burton beaten but Accy today so no reason we can’t win on Wednesday. I expect a draw, like.

To be fair Accy are top of form table, 14 points from last 6 games; when we went there we thought it was a huge 6 pointer, now they are as good as any team in the division.  Ipswich only have Rochdale and Southend below them, 3 points from 6 games, Lambert's not going to last long there.

• Site Supporter

The row between you lot and the aggressors is an old bloke, his grandson and fiance and a youngster. I saw them stand and give a gobfull, particularly his fiance who is genuinely the nicest girl you could wish to meet. He plays cricket at Bradshaw and again, not in any way aggressive so it came as a bit of a shock to see them involved. I thought it had been a couple of Shrewsbury fans but when they weren't asked to leave thought perhaps not. 
I have seen the short haired one before though.
Once again, a bit of ale has Bolton fans fighting amongst themselves.

Problem with refs at this level is not that they are getting marginal decisions wrong from 50 yards away, they get obvious decisions wrong that are right in front of them. They get assessed but aren't full time and I don't think they get much as a match fee comparatively speaking but would altering that change anything, i'm not so sure. Shirt pulling and holding were rampant today and the ref was weak enough to let it go every time.

4 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

It looked like a shocker from the north lower.  Certainly he looked out of control, I was flabbergasted the ref didnt even give it as a foul

I dont think the ref was even looking in the direction of the challenge, my impression was he was facing where the ball was going, towards North Stand, and the foul happened behind him.  Just glad Chicksen didnt get injured because it could have been the difference between getting a new contract or not.  Played superbly today, as did Earl, happy to keep those 2 on till the end of the season.

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

A well balanced game up to the sending off but after that we were just hanging on for a point. Fair enough, & there was some committed defending & Matthews was top class......from NSL the double save looked outstanding.

A bit surprised that Verlinden was taken off , i thought his pace would have given us an outlet & Shrews something to worry about, but we hung on.

Happy with a point.

No surprise that he was taken off from the point of view that he never plays 90 minutes (I'm going to guess that he is yet to complete a full game but I stand to be corrected) but if any neutral was watching that game they would think Dodoo had never played professional football in his life.  He was that bad.  Surely that's confirmation of Hill having his favourites, when compared to the treatment of Politic or Weir or Zouma, who arent allowed a bad 15 minutes never mind a whole game.  

2 hours ago, matty2094 said:

One thing I noticed today - even playing against 10 men, Shrewsbury had 11 back for a corner. Maybe it isn't just us.

That was very wierd.  That tactic is as big a mystery to me as VAR.  Why would you not give yourself the chance of the counter attack from a corner and why would you encourage the entire opposition team to attack a corner?

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No surprise that he was taken off from the point of view that he never plays 90 minutes (I'm going to guess that he is yet to complete a full game but I stand to be corrected) but if any neutral was watching that game they would think Dodoo had never played professional football in his life.  He was that bad.  Surely that's confirmation of Hill having his favourites, when compared to the treatment of Politic or Weir or Zouma, who arent allowed a bad 15 minutes never mind a whole game.  

I’m with you on this, verlinden would be last player I hooked, let’s hope Hill brings back Weir now, lads not that bad. 

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

We missed a couple of very easy chances first half.

started both halves really badly.

brainless tackle by lowe

thought darcy was superb, great double save by Matthews, thought Luke Murphy had a decent game and Daryl was poor.

dug in really well as a team to hold out for a draw

I saw the Murphy thing the other way round.  Luke did work hard but his passing is dreadful.  Daryl was a trooper up front on his own, and showed touches of class. Great attitude and we know if we create chances he'll score, on another day those 1st half headers nestle in the corner and he's the match winner.  Would love to hang onto him for next season.  If I was Ipswich I'd get him back there because he's better than their strikers.

And Darcy.  Defence is improved by having a proper centre half, so if the midfield is weakened slightly (and only slightly, as Lowe's form has been iffy) then its overall about the same.  Personally I'd use Politic instead of Graham or Dodoo, who is another player out of position (he's a striker, most definitely not mobile or hard working enough for midfield).

45 minutes ago, MickyD said:

The row between you lot and the aggressors is an old bloke, his grandson and fiance and a youngster. I saw them stand and give a gobfull, particularly his fiance who is genuinely the nicest girl you could wish to meet. He plays cricket at Bradshaw and again, not in any way aggressive so it came as a bit of a shock to see them involved. I thought it had been a couple of Shrewsbury fans but when they weren't asked to leave thought perhaps not. 
I have seen the short haired one before though.
Once again, a bit of ale has Bolton fans fighting amongst themselves.

To be fair, I think anyone would give it back when there’s a balloon offering everyone who disagrees with him out and who’s trying to climb over their daughter/granddaughter to kick it off with someone else 

The instigators of the problem aren't regulars, not in that section anyway. That section was as busy as it has been for years today, lots of unfamiliar faces.

As for the game, I've very little to say that's different to what has been said, but briefly, Lowe had to go, foul on Chicken was bad, linesman missed it because he was constantly 10 yds off the pace, Darcy's best game for us, Verlinden doesn't help back enough and Graham is dreadful.

Unfortunately, I don't think Graham is going to make it. The game passed him by completely when he came on; almost a wasted sub. 

Darcy, however, was excellent today. He was finding space where there was none, and proving a real nuisance linking turnovers into attack. I really hope he kicks on (but not enough that the richer clubs notice and fancy him in their reserves for the next four years).

Earl looked a man possessed in his natural position. Definitely a decent partnership with Wright in the making there, assuming Hill will let Chicksen back in the side.

I don't often cob up about refs, but he had a stinker. Not often we're roughed up at home, but Shrewsbury had a good go, and the ref helped them. So many niggly knobhead fouls from them that he waved on. Daryl Murphy wouldn't have won a foul if their oaf number 5 had punched him square in the face.

Finally, credit to the WUM ball boy in the south east corner, class bit of juvenile shithousery!

Decent game, good performance, happy with the point (thank you Remi Matthews). Looking forward to Burton!

***Edit

Just seen this on the Shrewsbury forum for a laugh. What a plank. 😂

"Their keeper was dreadful. Good double save? He didn't know anything about them. They hit him as he made a feeble attempt to swat them away."

Edited by TM Trotter

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Bit harsh on Dodoo, that. He worked his backside off a good few times covering for Emmanuel who, once we went down to 10, looked completely lost. 

• Site Supporter

We played much better when chicksen came on. No criticism of Bridcutt there, but we had a natural left back who also gave balance to the team. He personally played very well and was edged out of mom by Darcy.

Not sure what bridcutt's injury is, hope it's not too long.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We played much better when chicksen came on. No criticism of Bridcutt there, but we had a natural left back who also gave balance to the team. He personally played very well and was edged out of mom by Darcy.

Not sure what bridcutt's injury is, hope it's not too long.

Hamstring apparently, the lad seems to be jinxed since he came to us.

I'd much prefer us to play a 4 with Chicksen as a true left back but can imagine KH wants to have Lowe and Bridcutt both on the pitch and to achieve that he has an eye on Bridcutt as the centre of a 3 and Bunney and Emmanuel as wing backs. Injuries and the window will dictate what he can do obviously.

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I'd much prefer us to play a 4 with Chicksen as a true left back but can imagine KH wants to have Lowe and Bridcutt both on the pitch and to achieve that he has an eye on Bridcutt as the centre of a 3 and Bunney and Emmanuel as wing backs. Injuries and the window will dictate what he can do obviously.

They did play together initially, and we played some decent stuff. Darcy looks capable of filling the attacking midfielder role, and with bridcutt's passing it should help Darcy achieve more.

However, if he's now out, together with Lowe, then midfield is looking weaker than ever.