Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

• Site Supporter

It’s a hard argument to fight, but I still stick with Hill. Like previous bwfc managers before him, the task couldn’t be harder than anywhere else. And like previous managers he’s struggling. I think that says more about the situation than him. And he’s probably got it harder than any of the other previous incumbents. We are the worst team away in the last decade, surely that tells its own story. With restrictions and embargoes there’s no quick fix, not even next year. Yes there’s been glimpses and that’s where the frustrations come in that we haven’t sustained and pushed on from there, but these players are either young, inexperienced, rejects or at best bang average for this level. I think it would be near on impossible for anyone to get a consistent tune out of a bunch like that. The supports been good and I don’t hear too much at the games that’s negative towards Hill, mainly on line. I hope it stays that way as that would only make a hard situation even worse. He’s got a good record of bringing teams up from the 2nd, he’s going to be the one who knows these players the best and can hopefully with time bring out the best of them next season. It’s not good for the sole consistently trying to justify that he’s not good enough every game that we play. I didn’t want to go last night, I did it for my boys, I was expecting something far worse than what I saw, so I take the positives, a good fight in the second half, a great goal celebration and a togetherness that we can come back... slowly but surely. 

10 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s a hard argument to fight, but I still stick with Hill. Like previous bwfc managers before him, the task couldn’t be harder than anywhere else. And like previous managers he’s struggling. I think that says more about the situation than him. And he’s probably got it harder than any of the other previous incumbents. We are the worst team away in the last decade, surely that tells its own story. With restrictions and embargoes there’s no quick fix, not even next year. Yes there’s been glimpses and that’s where the frustrations come in that we haven’t sustained and pushed on from there, but these players are either young, inexperienced, rejects or at best bang average for this level. I think it would be near on impossible for anyone to get a consistent tune out of a bunch like that. The supports been good and I don’t hear too much at the games that’s negative towards Hill, mainly on line. I hope it stays that way as that would only make a hard situation even worse. He’s got a good record of bringing teams up from the 2nd, he’s going to be the one who knows these players the best and can hopefully with time bring out the best of them next season. It’s not good for the sole consistently trying to justify that he’s not good enough every game that we play. I didn’t want to go last night, I did it for my boys, I was expecting something far worse than what I saw, so I take the positives, a good fight in the second half, a great goal celebration and a togetherness that we can come back... slowly but surely. 

If we are losing at weekend I pretty much guarantee it's going to get toxic it was borderline getting that way at the MK Dons game. Fans are really getting fed up with shite he's saying week in week out, Micheal James has a bit to answer for picking Hill as manager.

19 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

If we are losing at weekend I pretty much guarantee it's going to get toxic it was borderline getting that way at the MK Dons game. Fans are really getting fed up with shite he's saying week in week out, Micheal James has a bit to answer for picking Hill as manager.

No it won't, people understand the club doesn't have a pot to piss in.When it's offering strikers £600 a week and they are turning it down for a better deal at Plymouth, Bruce Rioch isn't storming up the league with those working conditions

15 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

No it won't, people understand the club doesn't have a pot to piss in.When it's offering strikers £600 a week and they are turning it down for a better deal at Plymouth, Bruce Rioch isn't storming up the league with those working conditions

Do they haha are you actually sure? Some fans was kicking off with each other week due to this argument at MK Dons, yes some fans with take his on-board but the majority of fans at the moment are not buying it. 

I'm not having it. We've had a more than capable squad for the vast majority of this season now, the sheer lack of any semblance of a plan or philosophy is the most worrying thing. There was no expectations beyond a tiny bit of hope of what we could be building and a brand of football and somehow with such bare minimums to achieve he has failed spectacularly. 

The issue from here now isn't it getting toxic, I think it's worse than that, people are starting not to care. Two or three years ago yeah it might have got people riled up and demonstrate their frustrations but now instead people are just giving up. We can't afford that, he needs to go before it's too late. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I'm not having it. We've had a more than capable squad for the vast majority of this season now, the sheer lack of any semblance of a plan or philosophy is the most worrying thing. There was no expectations beyond a tiny bit of hope of what we could be building and a brand of football and somehow with such bare minimums to achieve he has failed spectacularly. 

The issue from here now isn't it getting toxic, I think it's worse than that, people are starting not to care. Two or three years ago yeah it might have got people riled up and demonstrate their frustrations but now instead people are just giving up. We can't afford that, he needs to go before it's too late. 

We had a couple of managers commenting that we'd managed to assemble a decent squad.

For me, it obviously isn't the finest, but I agree it's one that should be doing a better.

Seems to be getting worse too.

The ridiculous interviews and comments are my biggest concern though, players aren't daft and if he behaves in a similar fashion to them I wonder how many are serious about wanting to play under him.

1 minute ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Its alright saying Hill out but any suggestions regarding a replacement excluding JP & DL .Who in the right mind would take the job ?

Course & distance winners will be hard to find .Untested should'nt even be considered.

Why?

It's a project now isn't it, not a survival mission anymore, lets get someone in that's got an actual philosophy and a tactical plan to build upon, let him use the rest of the season to make an impression on the squad and see which players he would like to keep on or convince to stay. Basically an extended preseason to bed in at the club in the hope that it can get fans back onside for next season.

1 hour ago, Okocha10 said:

Don't get the Michael James bit I'd let him throw one up the mrs and shake his hand after.If it wasn't for him there would be no bwfc

19 minutes ago, 1969 said:

Don't get the Michael James bit I'd let him throw one up the mrs and shake his hand after.If it wasn't for him there would be no bwfc

Don't get me wrong that what he's done for our club all fans are grateful for but still doesn't mean hes not prone to some criticism.

1 minute ago, Okocha10 said:

Don't get me wrong that what he's done for our club all fans are grateful for but still doesn't mean hes not prone to some criticism.

Don't agree. Hill and Nolan were interviewed in August. When theoretically staying up was "possible". Hill came with a list of players he'd already spoken to and said he could bring in a squad quickly. Kev Nolan turned up and hadn't done the same.

Michael James saw a plus side to Hill and quick squad assembly using his contacts. So they appointed him and spent the weekend signing the squad up. 

Who knows - had players stayed fit and the initial run been maintained its quite possible we'd be a few points of safety now and giddy at the possibility of hauling ourselves to safety.

But it didn't and Hill has produced one of the most miserable runs of form in our history. The situation is now all focussed on next season and totally different to when MJ made the initial call. Were they recruiting now its likely they'd make a totally different decision. That's the way it goes. 

This team is capable if holding their own in majority  of matches, ffs they are professional footballers who train everyday. Fatigue and fitness is never an excuse. Talk of pain by Hill is trying to justify  too many losses. He assumes that loosing  and ‘pain’ is necessary before  the good times come back - but theres no need for all these losses, a bit of strategy and teamwork would have us close to safety by now. Hill’s clueless - would you respect a boss who constantly spouted such bullshit? who pisses on everyone’s shoes and tells them it’s raining?. Need to get rid asap.

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Don't agree. Hill and Nolan were interviewed in August. When theoretically staying up was "possible". Hill came with a list of players he'd already spoken to and said he could bring in a squad quickly. Kev Nolan turned up and hadn't done the same.

Michael James saw a plus side to Hill and quick squad assembly using his contacts. So they appointed him and spent the weekend signing the squad up. 

Who knows - had players stayed fit and the initial run been maintained its quite possible we'd be a few points of safety now and giddy at the possibility of hauling ourselves to safety.

But it didn't and Hill has produced one of the most miserable runs of form in our history. The situation is now all focussed on next season and totally different to when MJ made the initial call. Were they recruiting now its likely they'd make a totally different decision. That's the way it goes. 

I didn't agree with Hill be appointed in the first place, the main reason they said he got the job was unite the Bolton fans together after the misery of Ken Anderson, due him being from Bolton & Flitcroft being from Bolton also, which in fact he's done the complete opposite. Really he should of looked at previous past what went on at Rochdale which tell's you he done complete same towards his end of his tenure.  Micheal James is all new to it so he is going to be make the wrong decision time to time, hopefully he will learn from the experience. 

2 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

I didn't agree with Hill be appointed in the first place, the main reason they said he got the job was unite the Bolton fans together after the misery of Ken Anderson, due him being from Bolton & Flitcroft being from Bolton also, which in fact he's done the complete opposite. Really he should of looked at previous past what went on at Rochdale which tell's you he done complete same towards his end of his tenure.  Micheal James is all new to it so he is going to be make the wrong decision time to time, hopefully he will learn from the experience. 

Are you suggesting that back when they appointed - they should have gone with the candidate who rocked up for the interview without the same preparation as the other? The less experienced man may be the better coach - but no way to tell definitively, but we had three days till the transfer deadline and one man saying he had a lot of players lined up ready the other having nothing prepped - what would you have done?

Easy in hindsight and when you're taking a decision that is "from afar" but I doubt anyone would have done anything but let Hill have a crack in those circumstances. Like I say now and moving forward its very different. 

He may have done a nice presentation and been the right man at the time but he isn't anymore. 

Fans are losing interest. Someone today, granted they are a chorley wanker, has pointed out how close they are to not bothering and then the reality of them stopping altogether due to once you stop its hard to get started again.

Maybe its the friend groups i have but everyone seems to talk of him being stubborn and able piss people off very easily. "He is a nightmare in the pub" etc. 

The training sessions video'd seem amateur and there appears to be no formation / plan. we may have shit players but we weren't this bad before he brought in his new guys in the window. 

Folk will back the club but they are not doing it with someone who constantly comes out with drivel post match. yes it can be ignored however you ignore them, then the pre match, then the highlights, then the match 

2 hours ago, desperado said:

I’ll read it, once turned into smaller paras

7 minutes ago, Big E said:

He may have done a nice presentation and been the right man at the time but he isn't anymore. 

Fans are losing interest. Someone today, granted they are a chorley wanker, has pointed out how close they are to not bothering and then the reality of them stopping altogether due to once you stop its hard to get started again.

Maybe its the friend groups i have but everyone seems to talk of him being stubborn and able piss people off very easily. "He is a nightmare in the pub" etc. 

The training sessions video'd seem amateur and there appears to be no formation / plan. we may have shit players but we weren't this bad before he brought in his new guys in the window. 

Folk will back the club but they are not doing it with someone who constantly comes out with drivel post match. yes it can be ignored however you ignore them, then the pre match, then the highlights, then the match 

I agree. He's not the right man. I think its clear he was the right decision when appointed but NOT now. Question is whether FV can afford to sack him and whether there is a viable replacement. 

The question should never be whether a club can afford to sack someone. It should be can they afford not to.

FWIW, I'm still hoping Hill's appointment was on the same lines as they way we had to assemble a squad in August,

Cheap, available and temporary.

Early January, the loanees went back and he said there's be a change towards planning for the future. two weeks later and we're backing loaning players. Perhaps he was told that this season was as far as he should plan.

Last night, he said he hoped to be given the chance to manage us next season. Perhaps it's not set in stone that he will. 

24 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Are you suggesting that back when they appointed - they should have gone with the candidate who rocked up for the interview without the same preparation as the other? The less experienced man may be the better coach - but no way to tell definitively, but we had three days till the transfer deadline and one man saying he had a lot of players lined up ready the other having nothing prepped - what would you have done?

Easy in hindsight and when you're taking a decision that is "from afar" but I doubt anyone would have done anything but let Hill have a crack in those circumstances. Like I say now and moving forward its very different. 

It was always going to be a write off season this season just seemed all short sighted decision to think Hill would of kept us this season. The project should always be what can do for our club next season what plans would you put in place what not, this season for me should of been trying to get the fans together, Hills track of this isn't the best ie Barnsely & Rochdale show this, his outbursts having been nothing but utter embarrassing for the club, the way the results have gone its not been a success as it? With Nolan he wouldn't of spouted that amount of shite Hill has & may have got better as time went a long with the experience. Plus look at the job Flitcroft did at Bury spent at shed load & finished bottom of the league, what benefit he adds to Hill probably need's questioning also.

Edited by Okocha10