Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Because Nolan has had 2 jobs (Orient and Notts County), and arguably left both clubs in worse positions than he found them.  Ricketts has had 2 jobs (Wrexham and Shrews) and has improved both clubs positions (and a decent cup run or 2).  And listening to him talk gives confidence that he knows what he's doing, calm and assured.  

Kevin Nolan | Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref.
P W D L Win %
Leyton Orient 21 January 2016 12 April 2016 15 7 2 6 46.7 [67][73][107]
Notts County 12 January 2017 26 August 2018 84 35 23 26 41.7 [108]
Total 99 42 25 32 42.4
Sam Ricketts | Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record
P W D L Win %
Wrexham 2 May 2018 3 December 2018 24 13 8 3 54.2
Shrewsbury Town 3 December 2018 Present 78 23 28 27 29.5
Total 102 36 36 30 35.3

I don’t think the above records back up what you say about either Nolan or Ricketts managerial careers! I also think Nolan was harshly treated at both Orient & Notts.

Edited by Ros Coe

18 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I don't want us to appoint Nolan, although I think you're being unfair on his managerial record. The point is that if Nolan would be a gamble then surely so would Ricketts. I was impressed by his demeanour and how his team operated when they played us, and like you I suspect he has something about him, but he's barely two years into his managerial career.

(And if I were to be as harsh in my argument as you are with Nolan, I might point out that Shrewsbury Town are currently one place lower than they were when he took over 🙂)

I agree I was being a bit harsh on Nolan, and I bow to your greater knowledge of Shrewsbury's respective league positions!  But Ricketts comes across, with his greater experience as well as demeanour, as an "established" manager with at least a reasonable track record.  Kev comes across as a rookie so far, he may be a good manager in the making but he feels like more of a gamble than Ricketts at this stage.

10 hours ago, Ros Coe said:

Kevin Nolan | Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref.
P W D L Win %
Leyton Orient 21 January 2016 12 April 2016 15 7 2 6 46.7 [67][73][107]
Notts County 12 January 2017 26 August 2018 84 35 23 26 41.7 [108]
Total 99 42 25 32 42.4
Sam Ricketts | Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record
P W D L Win %
Wrexham 2 May 2018 3 December 2018 24 13 8 3 54.2
Shrewsbury Town 3 December 2018 Present 78 23 28 27 29.5
Total 102 36 36 30 35.3

I don’t think the above records back up what you say about either Nolan or Ricketts managerial careers! I also think Nolan was harshly treated at both Orient & Notts.

Good stats, fair point, I admit I thought Shrewsbury were a bit higher in the table till I just checked!  I would say the Notts County stint for Nolan was at a club that was expected to do well in that division (as with Wrexham for Ricketts); Shrewsbury arent expected to compete at the top end of Div 1 realistically.  Anyway I'll take it back based purely on stats, and leave it that its my hunch that Ricketts will make a decent lower level manager.

10 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Ringing endorsement for Hill and Flitcroft from Craig Davies in a BA article.

I think we need a fresh start though.

Interesting first impression he had of Hill.  That chimes with a few things I've heard previously 

• Site Supporter

We don't have the time for Hill to piss people off for 12 months before they finally think he's a reasonable sort of character. 

The club is going downhill, has been for some time and needs to slam on the brakes before we end up going any lower. Get rid and sooner rather than later

7 minutes ago, Horwich said:

It doesn't matter who you give it to, within reason.

I agree. There are good managers and bad managers, but even the good ones struggle to improve things if the resources aren't available.

The majority of them, though, are average and do a decent enough job with what they have.