Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Were Bolton first?

MickyD

We were credited as being first team to sing ‘can we play you every week ‘ 

Quite a few on here used to fly regularly to London away games £50 return from Manc

Seasoned Traveller and I did Fulham away first game  Saw Miami’s coach lot meeting at Cattle Market as we set off  Rang them when we got to Covent  Garden  they were approaching Knutsford  

Edited by Ani

• Members
2 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Wonder who's had the same shirt sponsor for the longest time?

We had Reebok for ages

I’d hazard a guess at Carlsberg and Liverpool 

Although I know Barcelona went over 100 years with no sponsor

Edited by Rudy’s Message

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We were first with lifeline and probably with many of our fund raising activities. 

Wasn’t that only created in the 80s? Apologies if wrong. Leigh rugby have run a similar lottery since the 60s so you’d have to imagine other football clubs will have done similar in the meantime?

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Wasn’t that only created in the 80s? Apologies if wrong. Leigh rugby have run a similar lottery since the 60s so you’d have to imagine other football clubs will have done similar in the meantime?

We invented lifeline. Well Alf Davies did and sold its concept to other clubs. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Im pretty sure lifeline was  clained to ve the first of its kind, though who knows

Alf davies pushed it and he was a RL mon, i think

• Members
1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

The Question  "Were Bolton first" is one that can be applied in various scenarios - but came across this a while ago as it relates to us as fans and I reckon is probably a first  

Hopefully someone might find this interesting in these times of lockdown 

Was reading a book " The Lads of 23 "and there was a section in there about fans journeys to the 1923 cup final. 

51CFtRY6OAL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tells tales of West Ham fans walking to the game , with most Bolton fans travelling by train etc 

But one thing that caught my eye was that its reported that a group of Wanderers fans (  5 in total ) actually caught a plane and flew down from Manchester to London for the match

I did not even know things were possible at that time

Did a bit of reading up on this and found out that they flew from the Alexandra Park Aerodrome ( which was located just off Princess Road heading towards West Didsbury )  to Croydon Airport on a scheduled flight 

What makes me think this is a first for football fans of any club is that the service had only started at the back end of 1922 and was operated by Daimler Airways 

The planes took  2 hours to get there 

File:De Havilland DH.34 Daimler Hire Ltd - Ans 05338-02-117-AL-FL ...

image.jpeg.ad4d6274d3e50bc991b12891ef5cbf75.jpegimage.jpeg.1c5eb6c57b149fde9ab63567969a3994.jpeg

Anyway there you go  -  Bolton Wanderers first fans to ever fly to a football match ! 

And I suppose it begs the question as to what obscure forms of transport folks have used to travel to away games by ... 

That is absolutely brilliant good work Columbo.

I still get shit from my mates to get to Madrid. It was my turn to organise it and I left it too long for all the direct flights (one night stand and had no idea where I was, Tottington. I lived in Morris Green, she must have been stunning or I was desperate, I digress) 

So to not let them down I had to find an alternative route.

Train from Bolton To Manchester.

Train to Edinburgh 

Flight from Edinburgh to Brussels

Brussels to Getafe

Train from Getafe to Madrid

Taxi to the city Centre.

Got twatted  by a copper

Won the leg

Madrid to Lisbon

Lisbon to Brussels

Brussels to Birmingham 

Train from Birmingham to Manchester 

Manchester to Bolton.

It ended up being quite cheap but fuck me I still get shit for that 😂

• Moderators

The transfer of nowak took forever

Mustve been pushing 2 years

Im pretty sure he was going to ve the first pole, eastern european, foreigner

Or something

I know thered been other foreigners, but this was going to be the first signing from a foreign club or something like that

Can only think he deteriorated fast in those 2 years, cos he was shit

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I still get shit from my mates to get to Madrid. It was my turn to organise it and I left it too long for all the direct flights (one night stand and had no idea where I was, Tottington. I lived in Morris Green, she must have been stunning or I was desperate, I digress) 

Train to Edinburgh 

Brussels to Getafe

Taxi to the city Centre.

Got twatted  by a copper

Won the leg

Madrid to Lisbon

Lisbon to Brussels

Brussels to Birmingham 

Manchester to Bolton.

Crikey, thought our drive to Birmingham for plane to Amsterdam then Madrid then train from airport to Madrid city centre then same in reverse was a convoluted way of getting there. 

I escaped the wrath of the Madrid coppers too.

• Members
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Crikey, thought our drive to Birmingham for plane to Amsterdam then Madrid then train from airport to Madrid city centre then same in reverse was a convoluted way of getting there. 

I escaped the wrath of the Madrid coppers too.

Serbia direct flight from Manchester and didn’t get rounded up by the coppers. Ended up in a bar with No Balls before I actually knew her 

25 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Train to Edinburgh 

Brussels to Getafe

Taxi to the city Centre.

Got twatted  by a copper

Won the leg

Madrid to Lisbon

Lisbon to Brussels

Brussels to Birmingham 

Manchester to Bolton.

I was amazed at some of the lengths people went to for Euro trips. I used sky scanner max 1 change and booked cheapest. Bulgaria was only one did not land in the town/city we were playing in. 

Marseille we flew Luton to Nice; it was a late flight and we stayed in the airport hotel Tuesday night. Train to Marseille in the morning and on the train was Big E - that was the first time I met him and saw him later with his bubbles then he got clouted by someone. Great guy

We were in their end to the right of the Bolton fans and we moved up to the fence; they clocked us at the end as I joined in singing with the Bolton fans but they had won and was OK and everyone shaking our hands (only two of us)

• Members
21 minutes ago, Ani said:

I was amazed at some of the lengths people went to for Euro trips. I used sky scanner max 1 change and booked cheapest. Bulgaria was only one did not land in the town/city we were playing in. 

I was a broke student fucking around with a. Part time job in insurance £600 a month I probably got. So it was always finding the cheapest way and they ended up being great adventures. 
Never missed a European game I must have spent a fortune but I’d do it all again ten times over.

One particular highlight was celebrating Stelios goal in Marseille  I jumped up and I accidentally cracked a guy in the nose behind me. Claret everywhere. Still see him now and again at the match he always laughs. 

2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

The Question  "Were Bolton first" is one that can be applied in various scenarios - but came across this a while ago as it relates to us as fans and I reckon is probably a first  

Hopefully someone might find this interesting in these times of lockdown 

Was reading a book " The Lads of 23 "and there was a section in there about fans journeys to the 1923 cup final. 

51CFtRY6OAL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tells tales of West Ham fans walking to the game , with most Bolton fans travelling by train etc 

But one thing that caught my eye was that its reported that a group of Wanderers fans (  5 in total ) actually caught a plane and flew down from Manchester to London for the match

I did not even know things were possible at that time

Did a bit of reading up on this and found out that they flew from the Alexandra Park Aerodrome ( which was located just off Princess Road heading towards West Didsbury )  to Croydon Airport on a scheduled flight 

What makes me think this is a first for football fans of any club is that the service had only started at the back end of 1922 and was operated by Daimler Airways 

The planes took  2 hours to get there 

File:De Havilland DH.34 Daimler Hire Ltd - Ans 05338-02-117-AL-FL ...

image.jpeg.ad4d6274d3e50bc991b12891ef5cbf75.jpegimage.jpeg.1c5eb6c57b149fde9ab63567969a3994.jpeg

Anyway there you go  -  Bolton Wanderers first fans to ever fly to a football match ! 

And I suppose it begs the question as to what obscure forms of transport folks have used to travel to away games by ... 

One guy walked to every cup game home and away and someone else pushed a wheel barrow from bolton to Wembley stadium . It was covered in the play “ and did those feet “ about the final . Also read a book about the final got from the library many years ago and there was a picture of a guy who was wearing a string of pigs trotters round his neck