Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Division 4 Memories

Marc505

Bit different to the roll call thread. 1987-88, lowest we've ever got and hopefully ever will and I spent all the great times in the 00's being constantly reminded by the older ones I go with about how they were there in the dark days.

For those that were there, how was it following us that season, miserable or memorable? Completely different era of course, but interested to know how it was down in the depths.

Had a look at the results, the 0-4 at Scarborough first away game and win at Wrexham stand out as the worst and best. Home crowds averaging around 4.5k.

Funny seeing Cardiff qualifying for Europe in Div4 by winning the Welsh cup as well.

• Site Supporter

Wrexham the stand out game but I remember a bloody awful winter (prob Jan) away  midweek match at Halifax. 0-0 draw, our lot not happy to say the least but Phil Neal saying that could be the point to see us go up.

From memory, we were crap most matches too, just less crap than most of the others. I do however remember us playing very well at home to Colchester and winning 4-0. Think that was our last home game.

In many ways, Phil Parkinson’s promotion season mirrored it. Largely poor to watch.

Beating Wolves 1-0 when they weren't allowed any away fans. I think there was less than 4k on.

It's the cup games that stand out for me that year.  2 ding dongs v Wigan in the league cup, and wins at Burnley and Wrexham in the FA cup before defeat at Barnsley.  Carnage at all of them!

We were pretty poor all season until Andy May joined and an unbeaten run saw us nick 3rd spot.

8 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

My dad took me to my first game that season Exeter at home and only one more think it was Rochdale 

he went all over the gaff that year, wouldn’t take me said I wasn’t old enough😀 heard some great stories though

That Rochdale home game has lived long in my memory as the dullest 90 minutes I’ve ever witnessed. There was another 0-0 at home to Scunny that wasn’t much better but was illuminated by a incredible save by Dave Felgate.

45 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

That Rochdale home game has lived long in my memory as the dullest 90 minutes I’ve ever witnessed. There was another 0-0 at home to Scunny that wasn’t much better but was illuminated by a incredible save by Dave Felgate.

That was it couldn’t remember exactly which one pretty sure dale 

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Tough times indeed. FFS, made the emigration decision that much easier!

Scarborough. Scarred for life.

That Scarborough game we drove up in a coach day before and thought it’d be a good idea to go Whitley bay for a piss up, after all it was on the east coast so must be near Scarborough, 😳 Had a heavy evening around Whitley bay and trapped off with a bird from cramlington who kindly volunteered to keep me warm all night, my room mate wasn’t to happy as I locked him out all night..... sorry Isaac hunt😂 the next day took hours to get to Scarborough think it was longer trip than if we’d of set off from LH. Anyhow what a turn out we had, lads everywhere, the performance on the pitch was a shocker, and we didn’t quite match the riot Wolves had there same season. Happy days. 

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Wrexham the stand out game but I remember a bloody awful winter (prob Jan) away  midweek match at Halifax. 0-0 draw, our lot not happy to say the least but Phil Neal saying that could be the point to see us go up.

From memory, we were crap most matches too, just less crap than most of the others. I do however remember us playing very well at home to Colchester and winning 4-0. Think that was our last home game.

In many ways, Phil Parkinson’s promotion season mirrored it. Largely poor to watch.

Jeff Chandler scored in that, on his return from injury.

My Dad bought me a season ticket for that season, my first proper season of watching the Whites

Cheers Burnden for those two posts.  I read an interview quite recently with the chap who fell through the roof.  The fall had properly fecked him up for life.

The team pic - Peter Bell.  He was supposed to be really promising but it seemed like he was permanently on crutches.  Sad that no one knows what happened to him.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Did a Wolves fan climb on the roof that season and then end up falling through/off it?  

Doesn't Satan use that picture on his avatar thing.

Anyhow, was at uni at the time, so didn't see every game. Got thralled away 3-0 iirc at Colchester, but got revenge in the 4-0 home win.

Scarborough was absolutely fucking awful, in every way possible.

Wrexham the complete antithesis. Best ever.

Not sure Phil Neal ever got his boots back.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Beating Wolves 1-0 when they weren't allowed any away fans. I think there was less than 4k on.

It's the cup games that stand out for me that year.  2 ding dongs v Wigan in the league cup, and wins at Burnley and Wrexham in the FA cup before defeat at Barnsley.  Carnage at all of them!

We were pretty poor all season until Andy May joined and an unbeaten run saw us nick 3rd spot.

Banning visiting fans was popular at this time -  remember being told not go to both Colchester ( still never been ) and Torquay because they had membership schemes in place and visiting fans would not be allowed in -  have since spoken to people who went to both and who got in. 

Apart from Scarborough Burnley and Wrexham which are widely mentioned -

Wolves away was dreadful -  stadium was undergoing rebuilding work - which seemed to go on for years -  and was just  a 2 sided ground when we played them that season  -  remember there was a line of police horses obscuring what limited view we had of the distant pitch for the entire second half 

Season never really got going for me - remember us losing at Cardiff on a friday night with about 5 games to go - a promotion 6 pointer - with maybe just 300 fans there , thought we'd blown any chance of automatic promotion that night and yet somehow the teams around us didn't take advantage and we eventually scraped over the line

Newport is the one home game that sticks in the memory - felt sorry for their fans that day 

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Cheers Burnden for those two posts.  I read an interview quite recently with the chap who fell through the roof.  The fall had properly fecked him up for life.

The team pic - Peter Bell.  He was supposed to be really promising but it seemed like he was permanently on crutches.  Sad that no one knows what happened to him.

A Google search for ‘Peter Bell Bolton Wanderers’ brings up his Facebook page.

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Banning visiting fans was popular at this time -  remember being told not go to both Colchester ( still never been ) and Torquay because they had membership schemes in place and visiting fans would not be allowed in -  have since spoken to people who went to both and who got in. 

Apart from Scarborough Burnley and Wrexham which are widely mentioned -

Wolves away was dreadful -  stadium was undergoing rebuilding work - which seemed to go on for years -  and was just  a 2 sided ground when we played them that season  -  remember there was a line of police horses obscuring what limited view we had of the distant pitch for the entire second half 

Season never really got going for me - remember us losing at Cardiff on a friday night with about 5 games to go - a promotion 6 pointer - with maybe just 300 fans there , thought we'd blown any chance of automatic promotion that night and yet somehow the teams around us didn't take advantage and we eventually scraped over the line

Newport is the one home game that sticks in the memory - felt sorry for their fans that day 

That has brought some memories back did all those games except the Carlisle away because my mates dads Skoda fan belt snapped. :)  The mansfield away ended up in court appearance for one of our lads who jumped out of the car on the road outside the stadium to smack one of their main lads (who also got nicked and was in court same day) who gobbed on him before the match, went as a witness and the solicitor stood me down as I had originally been arrested and then released,  I spent a day on the Guiness in Mansfield, funnily enough the police still arrested the wrong lad and he was found guilty despite the correct lad standing up in court to admit it was him. 

• Moderators

You just can't compare Division 4 to modern day football, take your memories of the last days of Burnden and remove 10,000 fans. The place was on its arse, the club completely unprepared for football at that level. The support was mainly of the hooligan type, I was only 17 and scrawny as fuck so no use in this department much. We'd turn up at a town in the car to find absolute chaos, every time.  The Bolton lads had got there by hook or by crook and the towns were completely unprepared for it. Only Burnley could hold their own, and we saw what happened when they came to ours, hundreds of lads demolishing the Bradford Arms. That game was spent with one eye on the projectiles going from end to end, a set of coffee mugs involved.

Other memories are Frank Worthington scoring against us for Stockport on a Friday night. 

Whatmore arrived with some convoluted story about a local businessman paying wages, I seem to remember the actual truth being the lottery/Lifeline being that business. I'm not sure if he actually played, but he certainly was there.