Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (H)

Okocha10

27 minutes ago, desperado said:

Going to go against the majority opinion here. My overriding emotion after last nights game with KH, is not anger, rejection, confusion it’s one of empathy. The situation last night was desperate. Not just for him either. For us enduring at best a disjointed performance in the freezing cold hail. For Buckley whose luck his hideous. For all the players who haven’t trained all week but put themselves out there. For those who weren’t available for same reasons. For the new players who aren’t able to gel yet in such a short time in difficult circumstances. For the young lads who are trying their hardest in a really tough environment. 

Not only is KH having to deal with all that on a night, but throw in an awful referee performance, frustration in the transfer market, changes in the boardroom and direction and a Bristol Rovers side who spent most of the first half throwing themselves on the floor.

For such a desperate night and awful game I think everybody deserves a pat on the back for coming out with a draw.

Does your 'emparhy' stretch to KH being simply out of his depth?

10 minutes ago, Morizio said:

I’m of the same viewpoint as @desperado it’s a free hit this season and just a case of getting through it 

We’ve been here before. 

If he aint up to the job now he never will be. I’ve never understood this mentality of giving them 10 games next season.

We did it with Freeman and look how that turned out. Another shittest start to a season in our history. 

Personally, I’d pot him now. Write it off as a bad decision. 

9 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I spent the night at Northampton vs scunthorpe. Tell you something if we don’t empty 90% of that squad and get someone in charge who can set a team up properly we are absolutely fucked next season. 

it’s a reality check when you watch Northampton and think fuck me we couldn’t cope with this lot. That’s how bad we are 

Please don't tell me Scunthorpe had one cleared off the line, missed 2 penalties and hit the bar? They let me down on goals galore.

8th time in 10 attempts I've lost by one goal, definition of insanity.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Going to go against the majority opinion here. My overriding emotion after last nights game with KH, is not anger, rejection, confusion it’s one of empathy. The situation last night was desperate. Not just for him either. For us enduring at best a disjointed performance in the freezing cold hail. For Buckley whose luck his hideous. For all the players who haven’t trained all week but put themselves out there. For those who weren’t available for same reasons. For the new players who aren’t able to gel yet in such a short time in difficult circumstances. For the young lads who are trying their hardest in a really tough environment. 

Not only is KH having to deal with all that on a night, but throw in an awful referee performance, frustration in the transfer market, changes in the boardroom and direction and a Bristol Rovers side who spent most of the first half throwing themselves on the floor.

For such a desperate night and awful game I think everybody deserves a pat on the back for coming out with a draw.

The problem I have is that Keith is wallowing in these troubles. Rather than lifting everyone out of them. A good manager galvanises the team - when KH first came in you saw this - even in the defeat at Rotherham first game there was a flicker of initial fight, spirit and quality that suggested we'd eventually give teams some good games. Up to about the end November. start of December we did enough to suggest KH knew what needed to happen.

Since then the decisions have been odd (whoever is making them), Hill has got progressively more weird in interviews, he's now completely defensive and the performances on the pitch have plummeted from fighting proudly against an impossible task to shambolic, lacking in any spirit dis-organised rubbish. We now have to endure a spirit sapping second half of the season and I'm afraid the discussion about whether Hill is up to it won't go away. He has to build a team capable of bouncing straight back next season there will be huge pressure to do so, because financially it is imperative. Allardyce once took those pressures on his shoulders and got us up when the alternative was probably financial extinction. I'm far from convinced Hill can do so - he looks like its way way out of his comfort zone and he's not dealing with it. 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Yes, Hill has had a lot to deal with, but why is he still not able to out a side out, no matter how shit those players are, who are able to play with any semblance of a game plan or, more importantly, be able to defend as a unit?

3 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Yes, Hill has had a lot to deal with, but why is he still not able to out a side out, no matter how shit those players are, who are able to play with any semblance of a game plan or, more importantly, be able to defend as a unit?

The mans right. You can get folk to work as a unit even if they are shit.

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

We’ve been here before. 

If he aint up to the job now he never will be. I’ve never understood this mentality of giving them 10 games next season.

We did it with Freeman and look how that turned out. Another shittest start to a season in our history. 

Personally, I’d pot him now. Write it off as a bad decision. 

I understand your points but we started the season late and on negative points. Suffered injuries after shopping in the reject aisle and we are the bottom of the pile because of the restrictions. 

None of our other managers have worked under these constraints. 

We’ve no idea what’s going on behind the scenes either but it’s apparent there a massive mess left after the Andersons. 

15 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The problem I have is that Keith is wallowing in these troubles. Rather than lifting everyone out of them. A good manager galvanises the team - when KH first came in you saw this - even in the defeat at Rotherham first game there was a flicker of initial fight, spirit and quality that suggested we'd eventually give teams some good games. Up to about the end November. start of December we did enough to suggest KH knew what needed to happen.

Since then the decisions have been odd (whoever is making them), Hill has got progressively more weird in interviews, he's now completely defensive and the performances on the pitch have plummeted from fighting proudly against an impossible task to shambolic, lacking in any spirit dis-organised rubbish. We now have to endure a spirit sapping second half of the season and I'm afraid the discussion about whether Hill is up to it won't go away. He has to build a team capable of bouncing straight back next season there will be huge pressure to do so, because financially it is imperative. Allardyce once took those pressures on his shoulders and got us up when the alternative was probably financial extinction. I'm far from convinced Hill can do so - he looks like its way way out of his comfort zone and he's not dealing with it. 

Totally agree 

Have said similar previously after his outburst at Rochdale 

The longer that Kenyon is around the more likely I envisage a scenario of Hill being sacked as soon as relegation is confirmed - that could well be mid March. 

That gives plenty of time to plan and restructure for next season 

Kenyons roll may well be being dressed up as "advising on player recruitment " but surely someone of his background would not hang around just for that , I am expecting a complete overhaul on the playing side , and him being offered some sort of share option as a sweetener to get him on board initially so that further down the line he can bring in the necessary Investment. 

.. and as an aside I am predicting relegation at Burton Albion on March 10th

1 minute ago, Benny The Ball said:

Totally agree 

Have said similar previously after his outburst at Rochdale 

The longer that Kenyon is around the more likely I envisage a scenario of Hill being sacked as soon as relegation is confirmed - that could well be mid March. 

That gives plenty of time to plan and restructure for next season 

Kenyons roll may well be being dressed up as "advising on player recruitment " but surely someone of his background would not hang around just for that , I am expecting a complete overhaul on the playing side , and him being offered some sort of share option as a sweetener to get him on board initially so that further down the line he can bring in the necessary Investment. 

.. and as an aside I am predicting relegation at Burton Albion on March 10th

I don't think Kenyon is here to invest - he's getting paid. He knows Sharon and Jeff Thomas apparently and has for years. Kenyon has been looking for a way back into football - he was trying to pull backers together to buy a club - but now he gets paid to help run the football side of BWFC. So I suspect he's got what he wanted via the backdoor. It makes sense for FV because - what do they know about running the football operation? Kenyon has contacts. 

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

I don't think Kenyon is here to invest - he's getting paid. He knows Sharon and Jeff Thomas apparently and has for years. Kenyon has been looking for a way back into football - he was trying to pull backers together to buy a club - but now he gets paid to help run the football side of BWFC. So I suspect he's got what he wanted via the backdoor. It makes sense for FV because - what do they know about running the football operation? Kenyon has contacts. 

I am not suggesting Kenyon is here to Invest personally 

I am suggesting by offering him an incentive such as a stake in the club , or an option to have a stake in the club , it reduces the cash required to pay him for his services and locks him into the club in the short - medium term . 

• Site Supporter

The situation with regards to signing players will be exactly the same next season as this.

We improved dramatically, and quickly with a new manager bounce, however we're going backwards, with Keith at the helm.

Failure to put a team out without a semblance of a plan is an increasing occurrence, and I don't see how that would improve over the summer.

He strikes me as someone who was decent a decade or two ago but who hasn't moved with the times; mounts description of pub team is exactly what I've been thinking for some time.

No way should we be allowing him 10 games next season.

There's a danger of Parky syndrome happening, with folk not wanting to come because it's that bad.

Like one or two others have said, get shut now.

Someone capable of putting a coherent interview together would be a start.

Last night the very experienced professional Chris O'Grady received his directions from the management team and came on as a sub. Within a few minutes he was called over to the touchline and given different instructions that weren't down to any changes that had happened on the pitch. The players don't have a fucking clue what they are supposed to be doing or how they are supposed to be playing and that is totally 100% down to the management.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The situation with regards to signing players will be exactly the same next season as this.

We improved dramatically, and quickly with a new manager bounce, however we're going backwards, with Keith at the helm.

Failure to put a team out without a semblance of a plan is an increasing occurrence, and I don't see how that would improve over the summer.

He strikes me as someone who was decent a decade or two ago but who hasn't moved with the times; mounts description of pub team is exactly what I've been thinking for some time.

No way should we be allowing him 10 games next season.

There's a danger of Parky syndrome happening, with folk not wanting to come because it's that bad.

Like one or two others have said, get shut now.

Someone capable of putting a coherent interview together would be a start.

This! He seems so out of touch, seem's to demotivate players than actually motivate them. His bullying tactics don't work shown so with he being push out of the door at Rochdale.

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

I understand your points but we started the season late and on negative points. Suffered injuries after shopping in the reject aisle and we are the bottom of the pile because of the restrictions. 

None of our other managers have worked under these constraints. 

We’ve no idea what’s going on behind the scenes either but it’s apparent there a massive mess left after the Andersons. 

Yep, good points, but he's going to be working under the same constraints next season.

If he isn't coping now, I can't see him coping next season. 

Forgot Hamilton was on the field until about an hour in to the game. Won't hold it against him as he's been reasonably impressive since he came in.

I like Edwards but he was left in no man's land for the goal, and not for the first time. You'd think he'd be old enough to know better at this stage but his lack of first team experience is pretty glaring in situations like that.

Daryl Murphy had one of his better games and always seems to do better with the ball at his feet. That header in the first half though should have been a goal all over and must be the umpteenth time this season where he has had a free header that has gone straight at the keeper.

Feel really sorry for Buckley. It's one thing being injury prone but nobody can legislate for an impact injury like that.

Thought we made a real push of it after the equaliser and the crowd responded to that which was pretty enjoyable given how few were on, just a shame we didn't have an answer to Bristol's gamesmanship on that front.

I think it is only natural to worry about Hill based on the results and it is an easy out to blame it on the recruitment situation, but I'm not sure there's many managers who would get a tune out of such a set of misfits and ne'er do wells so I'm happy enough to give him a go for next season based on how well he's done at that level previously.

• Site Supporter

Good thing on here is you have reasoned discussion unlike twitter. And all the points made on KH by burden bogs, Daz, Dan, Mick brown etc are hard to argue against but still I think there is a discussion because of the points I and Morizo made earlier. Is KH out of his depth? Maybe he is, the last 2 months certainly doesn’t do him any favours. But these circumstances are unique and unchartered and sep-Oct showed promise. 

Trying hard to think of a current analogy where sticking with someone who has shown promise reaps the reward. Best I can do is Joe Root. Rightly questioned on his captaincy and results during the ashes, against New Zealand and in the first test v SA where they were ravaged with illness and selection. But with some young guns finding there feet and a bit of consistency in selection he’s shown the qualities of good captaincy again. Now I know there can be arguments against this; KH too set in his ways, random interviews, seemingly no short term plan. The jury is certainly out but I’m happy to stick with him for the time being.

37 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Forgot Hamilton was on the field until about an hour in to the game. Won't hold it against him as he's been reasonably impressive since he came in.

I like Edwards but he was left in no man's land for the goal, and not for the first time. You'd think he'd be old enough to know better at this stage but his lack of first team experience is pretty glaring in situations like that.

Daryl Murphy had one of his better games and always seems to do better with the ball at his feet. That header in the first half though should have been a goal all over and must be the umpteenth time this season where he has had a free header that has gone straight at the keeper.

Feel really sorry for Buckley. It's one thing being injury prone but nobody can legislate for an impact injury like that.

Thought we made a real push of it after the equaliser and the crowd responded to that which was pretty enjoyable given how few were on, just a shame we didn't have an answer to Bristol's gamesmanship on that front.

I think it is only natural to worry about Hill based on the results and it is an easy out to blame it on the recruitment situation, but I'm not sure there's many managers who would get a tune out of such a set of misfits and ne'er do wells so I'm happy enough to give him a go for next season based on how well he's done at that level previously.

All good points, but if this club is to survive and not get into the same situation as last few years  it cannot afford to spend season after season in Div One/Two hoping for a lucky break. 

Hill is a manager who has done well with lucky breaks, his biggest one was BWFC, but its not what will be required as he just doesn’t have the ability to coach or manage a club the size of Bolton.

Give him this season and then say thanks and move on.