Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PP v KH

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Parkinsons football was dire at times, but he could get a team to defend (Granted he had better players). I got fed up of seeing the hoof ball and lack of plan B

KHs football is gash. It started with promise and has gone steadily worse, to the point that we have no threat apart from Murphy at corners. On top of this our defence is like a combination of putty and ice cream (when being used as building materials). Keith as got the rest of the season for me as it's a gimme and always was, but he needs to sort is A and B plans before resorting to his plans C, D, E, F and X.

and breath...........

Last season under Ken  the club was such a basket case it didn't really matter who the manager was. If anything it's a harder job than it was last season now because there aren't as many established pros and the job is to bring in a lot of loans every window and try to build a team with them before they all leave in 5 months.

It doesn't really matter who San Marino or Luxembourg's manager is, they are always going to be crap.I feel the same about the Bolton situation until the club sorts its finances out and signs league players on 2 and 3 year contracts and builds a stable team with them like every other club does.

There is no comparison. Parky has been promoted 3 times out of league one. Hill I suspect will never win promotion to the championship. Not sure the style matters all that much but I accept Hill does want to play nicer football but when you're as bad as we are who cares?

In terms of personality Parky was a superb example of working under extreme pressure but keeping a quiet and calm dignity....Hill anything but.....

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There is no comparison. Parky has been promoted 3 times out of league one. Hill I suspect will never win promotion to the championship. Not sure the style matters all that much but I accept Hill does want to play nicer football but when you're as bad as we are who cares?

In terms of personality Parky was a superb example of working under extreme pressure but keeping a quiet and calm dignity....Hill anything but.....

Completely disagree on PP.

Nice bloke but he isn’t the bloke you’d want. Hid behind the Ken stuff big time.

He certainly wasn’t a superb example of working under pressure. He threw in the towel long before the rest of us.

17 minutes ago, tomski said:

Completely disagree on PP.

Nice bloke but he isn’t the bloke you’d want. Hid behind the Ken stuff big time.

He certainly wasn’t a superb example of working under pressure. He threw in the towel long before the rest of us.

I think the situation was impossible on many levels but he never came out sulking or whinging. Sure he looked fed up and I can't blame him. But even after he left he said great things about the club. 

You can dislike him or whatever but - he's a better manager for where we are now than Hill. Of that I'm absolutely certain. I'd be confident of league 2 promotion with PP far far less so that KH can drive the club out of that league.

I liked Parkinson, the football as said at times was beyond tedious but at least it was effective, especially at this level. 

As it is now though I do think it's unfair to compare them directly, partly because of differing financial models and completely different expectations. It is worrying though that the expectations for Hill's tenure were so low and yet he's still not managed to reach them all whilst completely flapping in the process.

Plus a vs idea isn't really helpful seeing as PP cut and run (completely fairly and deservedly I will say), not like we really had a choice between the two. Nolan v Hill though, that'd be one to give some thought now we've seen the reality of one of the outcomes.

• Site Supporter

After listening to that podcast with Wilbraham, it confirmed my suspicions- PP was a shithouse, with peanuts for balls. A situation that he could hide behind.

Keith Hill is eminently more likeable, but also seems a bit of a loon. Old fashioned, possibly a bit of a bully going off others' comments.

Much rather go to the pub with Keith, but neither for the job.

I think Hill is a bit tapped but then again he had to be to take the job on in the first place. The style of football we played when he initially arrived along with how his sides played when he was at Rochdale gives me enough hope that we can be an attractive proposition next season, so long as we're in a position to actually build a team instead of a constant battle to just fill shirts.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

After listening to that podcast with Wilbraham, it confirmed my suspicions- PP was a shithouse, with peanuts for balls. A situation that he could hide behind.

Keith Hill is eminently more likeable, but also seems a bit of a loon. Old fashioned, possibly a bit of a bully going off others' comments.

Much rather go to the pub with Keith, but neither for the job.

Agree on paragraph 1&3 completely 

57 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think Hill is a bit tapped but then again he had to be to take the job on in the first place. The style of football we played when he initially arrived along with how his sides played when he was at Rochdale gives me enough hope that we can be an attractive proposition next season, so long as we're in a position to actually build a team instead of a constant battle to just fill shirts.

That's what's baffling me. He talks about an attacking, attractive identity, leaving a legacy here, yet after a fucking at Accrington, all of the basics of pass and move, and simple triangles, seem to have gone out of the window. 

I know the players are cack, but come on Keith, last night didn't look like a team with any form of identity. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Parky produced two pitch invasions at the end of two consecutive seasons. Something that hadn't happened for a long time. 

Hill - lets see when he hits such a milestone. 

Port Vale.

First awayday.

51 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

That's what's baffling me. He talks about an attacking, attractive identity, leaving a legacy here, yet after a fucking at Accrington, all of the basics of pass and move, and simple triangles, seem to have gone out of the window. 

I know the players are cack, but come on Keith, last night didn't look like a team with any form of identity. 

It's horses for courses. Early in the seadon we had Bridcutt and Crasford. Now we don't. That has a massive impact on our style of play.

It doesn't excuse our general lack of organisation though.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But it's not. We have to have some kind of purpose about us, even if it's just to keep people attending.

Yep.

Can you imagine the response, if FV just came out and said "you've got a club, be thankful".

Got to be more forward thinking.

10 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

We have a club and at certain points last year it didn't look like we would, that's all that matters ... if you are in doubts look up the road at Bury

Tired of this narrative. That hangover can't last forever, we need to build new foundations not dig ourselves into deeper holes.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

We are under an embargo, the player we able to sign are not even on the bottom self, they are in the opps box 

We've a centre forward and two central midfielders who have played championship football.

We've had others on loan with similar experience.

Other small clubs in this league are managing to produce teams without spending much, often with players we've not heard of.

We can't keep hiding behind the situation we find ourselves in.

It's bobbins, getting worse, and we've got a manager washing the club's linen in public, criticising young players publicly, talking absolute gibberish in interview, and seemingly at odds with some of the other staff.

In complete contrast to our new owners.

This is only going one way. Sever ties now before it becomes toxic.

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We've a centre forward and two central midfielders who have played championship football.

We've had others on loan with similar experience.

Other small clubs in this league are managing to produce teams without spending much, often with players we've not heard of.

We can't keep hiding behind the situation we find ourselves in.

It's bobbins, getting worse, and we've got a manager washing the club's linen in public, criticising young players publicly, talking absolute gibberish in interview, and seemingly at odds with some of the other staff.

In complete contrast to our new owners.

This is only going one way. Sever ties now before it becomes toxic.

Agree entirely with all of this. 

Remember when we were signing these players and fans, managers and owners in this league were fuming because we were assembling players capable of higher than this level. Now look at us, a promising start and a semi-decent squad wasted.