Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

16 years ago today

Whitestar

Cracking laugh on the coach down with all my dad's mates. One lass brought butties, chicken drumsticks for everyone. Drinking 'lemonade' and singing all the way there.

Some poor lad they'd met on the Preston play off final trip and adopted into their group and named him Billy No Mates, they spotted him in the queues with friends this time and still bullied him into joining us on our coach.

25 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Some poor lad they'd met on the Preston play off final trip and adopted into their group and named him Billy No Mates, they spotted him in the queues with friends this time and still bullied him into joining us on our coach.

thats funny. 

remember summat similar where two , presumably bolton fans, in JJB or wherever 'bullied' some mother buying a united shirt for her 11 year old into getting a bolton one.. it were the john mcginlay big white one from 95-ish , so it all worked out. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

We stayed in Newport, one of the lads who came with us is in CID so he wasn't allowed in our room as we had mounds of chan everywhere (he knew this of course) we made him stand outside and shout through the door 😄

missed you at the match today, still not bought you a pint from the coventry home game in september

Not the best memories of this.  Spent the weeks running up to the game desperately trying to get a ticket thanks to Phil's fuck up.  Went on the travel club where some fat kid puked up a couple of rows back about an hour into the journey.

Team started terribly and never recovered. 

The twice hit penalty. Did anyone spot that at the time. Honestly?

• Members
36 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Not the best memories of this.  Spent the weeks running up to the game desperately trying to get a ticket thanks to Phil's fuck up.  Went on the travel club where some fat kid puked up a couple of rows back about an hour into the journey.

Team started terribly and never recovered. 

The twice hit penalty. Did anyone spot that at the time. Honestly?

You’re joking aren’t you I could barely see the pitch 

Hired two coaches, think we left from outside the Cattle Market at sometihng daft like 2am. Pretty sure quite a few off here were on the coaches, Pablo and Co definitely were, plus all the Kearsley Cricket Club lads.

Got in Cardiff very early indeed, a kind bar owner sweeping up from the night before agreed to stay,open and let us drink in his bistro, though his honesty bar was abused by us lot. Went later into the bar at the same hotel the players were staying.

Didn't even go to the match, think RW got my ticket off me,  whilst me, Pablo and Bernie Gumble watched the match in a bar full of Boro lads.

Good old Bernie didn't make the coaches home, think he slept in the train station overnight.

Mad coach trip as always, journey home was a belter despite the result.

On 29/02/2020 at 20:28, marple whites said:

Stayed in the same hotel as boro and came down for breakfast in the lift with Gareth Southgate !

and we let ourselves down ........

again

I stayed the night after the game in that hotel with the missus, daughter and her partner plus our first grandson

Saw the boro players going for their pre match chat when we arrived and had breakfast next table to Trevor Brooking

Daughter and he partner bought tickets off a scouse ticket tout - wished I had whacked the bastard and nicked the tickets 

I'm still gutted we didn't turn up. We were a better side than Boro but just didn't show it on the day - though we rarely seemed to be able to beat them. 

Riley didn't help but we started poorly and never really got going. Cardiff was ace though. As it was a few years before. Christ it seems so close but in reality its a lifetime away. Feeling old and melancholy.