Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

45 year ago today

globaldiver

• Members
2 hours ago, Kane57 said:

OK boomer

I’ve no idea what this means.

Anyways, speaking of Burnden, my old man dug out some old pics of when I was a mascot/ball boy at burden, I remember seeing my grandads face when he saw us walking out onto the pitch, him more than anyone thought I would play for Wanderers.

I didn’t but I won the Greater Manchester cup with School and Nat handed over our medals and my grandad said it was one of the best moments of his life watching that. (Nan was pleased with that) 

I wouldn’t be a Wanderer if it wasn’t for my granddad because he is a dirty Everton fan

Bit off topic but hey ho

Edited by Rudy’s Message

I was too young to be at this one - although I did see us play Tottenham in Div 2 a few years later.

I don't think there's any TV footage of the game. I've heard so many Bolton fans talk about the carnage that day though - and the numbers they brought being virtually impossible to deal with.

I was at Burnden when we played them in 78 and 80. For the former they seemed very subdued - as did their team! For the latter I remember a much more boisterous turnout, including in the home end. There was a mini pitch invasion before kick off from the Embankment.

2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Utd at home in the 2nd division.

Embankment rammed at 1.30pm

Skirmishes int Lever End

Was there only time I went in paddock seats, when they scored seemed like the whole stadium was United, remember it vividly to this day, was 10 years old, fucking despised them from that day on though I’m little bit better about them these days, never made a point of having a Man U fan as a friend from that day on, which wasn’t easy in LH. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

19 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I was on the Lever End ( for about 80 minutes ) & it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I watched the lever end that day and saw the shit that was going on from afar, I can tell you my gut was wrenching watching it unfold, its no wonder why I’ve never liked them from that day on. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

27 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I was on the Lever End ( for about 80 minutes ) & it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I was on the Lever End and have hated the bastards ever since. Should have hit the fuckers early like we did we City in the League Cup but they built in numbers and took over our end

Very different on Black Sunday though were quite a few got a good beating before the game

58 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I was on the Lever End and have hated the bastards ever since. Should have hit the fuckers early like we did we City in the League Cup but they built in numbers and took over our end

Very different on Black Sunday though were quite a few got a good beating before the game

City in the league cup was the best atmosphere i ever experienced on the Lever End, the only time that there were 2 full mobs on there in a night match, but City had no chance of moving the Bolton mob that night. City lost on & off the pitch !!

Against the munichs though, it was a poor , mostly yoof, turnout. I think a lot of the older chaps saw that it was hopeless & I can't blame them for that.

• Site Supporter

Mate's mum queued for about half a dozen kids tickets for Lever End. All walked down Manny Road and it was bedlam. Four of the six were wankers and sold their tickets to United fans for two or three pounds. Something in the region of 400-500% profit. No excuse in my eyes. 

14 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I’ve no idea what this means.

Boomer I guess is shorthand for Baby Boomer

Another way of reminding me that I'm getting older!

I remember the day as if it was yesterday.

Heading down Manchester Road with my old fella and my brother, getting drawn down the road with the crowds.

All the filth were already in the Embankment by the time I got to the top of the Manchester Road North stand. It took my breath away how many were actually crammed into the end, must have been an accident waiting to happen with the crowd swaying as much as it did. The noise was electric mainly from the filth but the whites gave a response back.

When Pearson scored the ground erupted and lead to many a skirmish, mostly outside along the fence leading from the Embankment to the main road, under two bridges and the odd bump towards town.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Happy Wanderer said:

I remember the day as if it was yesterday.

Heading down Manchester Road with my old fella and my brother, getting drawn down the road with the crowds.

All the filth were already in the Embankment by the time I got to the top of the Manchester Road North stand. It took my breath away how many were actually crammed into the end, must have been an accident waiting to happen with the crowd swaying as much as it did. The noise was electric mainly from the filth but the whites gave a response back.

When Pearson scored the ground erupted and lead to many a skirmish, mostly outside along the fence leading from the Embankment to the main road, under two bridges and the odd bump towards town.

How ironic that this was on the anniversary of our own Burnden disaster. I know I was a young lad at the time but don't recall any minutes silence or any other memorial.

Does anybody else remember much about April 80? They beat us 1-3, Neil Whatmore scored first for us in front of the Lever End. On that day the Lever End was very uneventful, the seats were in by then and we were a lost cause in the top flight, rooted to the foot of the division.

I was young at the time but I was in the Manny Road North seats with my Dad and a couple of Uncles. The filth had about 2/3rds of the Embankment and there was a small pitch invasion just before kick off. Never really got much beyond the touchline and around the goalposts. 

The bad bit I remember was that the scum had hundreds in the Manny Road North terrace. This was a season or so before our likely types had started frequenting it so they took it pretty much unopposed - that's my memory at least. When Whatmore scored our goal several people including members of my family were hurling abuse down on to them. They didn't take kindly .... but no moves were made. The presence of a primary school aged child like me probably helped! When they came back and won it was gut-wrenching to see their writhing celebrations. 

Far, far too young to remember much after the game. In fact my main memory is nothing to do with the football or the fans. We'd moved house as a family the day before and me and my Dad walked half way home to our old house before the penny dropped that we were going completely the wrong way. My Dad hates United - 76 years old now. It never dims. He had a lot on his mind on that walk home! 

It was a really horrible experience. As has been said before a lot of the Bolton fans in the Lever End were young. Me and my mates were 4th years all around 15. 

Once we got into the ground, after being chased all over getting there, it seemed as if we were getting the upper hand but gradually there seemed to be more and more of them. By the second half most of the Bolton lads had moved to the right hand side or left the ground. I eventually got into the Manny Road South.

I don't recall anything of the game at all.

Then going home on the bus back to Deane the upstairs was full of United fans.

The only funny thing about the day was a friend of mine who was a United fan went in the Burden Terrace and got kicked up the arse when they scored. He claimed he never said a word.

I was 14 and scared.

Ill never forget that we seemed to be safe and settled in the Lever End and then at 3.00pm the chant went up and everyone scarpered.

36,000 on and probably 26,000 of them.

35 minutes ago, Tony said:

It was a really horrible experience. As has been said before a lot of the Bolton fans in the Lever End were young. Me and my mates were 4th years all around 15. 

Once we got into the ground, after being chased all over getting there, it seemed as if we were getting the upper hand but gradually there seemed to be more and more of them. By the second half most of the Bolton lads had moved to the right hand side or left the ground. I eventually got into the Manny Road South.

I don't recall anything of the game at all.

Then going home on the bus back to Deane the upstairs was full of United fans.

The only funny thing about the day was a friend of mine who was a United fan went in the Burden Terrace and got kicked up the arse when they scored. He claimed he never said a word.

Was it the number 12 bus? Most would of been LH/Walkden reds I’d think.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Does anybody else remember much about April 80? They beat us 1-3, Neil Whatmore scored first for us in front of the Lever End. On that day the Lever End was very uneventful, the seats were in by then and we were a lost cause in the top flight, rooted to the foot of the division.

I was young at the time but I was in the Manny Road North seats with my Dad and a couple of Uncles. The filth had about 2/3rds of the Embankment and there was a small pitch invasion just before kick off. Never really got much beyond the touchline and around the goalposts. 

The bad bit I remember was that the scum had hundreds in the Manny Road North terrace. This was a season or so before our likely types had started frequenting it so they took it pretty much unopposed - that's my memory at least. When Whatmore scored our goal several people including members of my family were hurling abuse down on to them. They didn't take kindly .... but no moves were made. The presence of a primary school aged child like me probably helped! When they came back and won it was gut-wrenching to see their writhing celebrations. 

Far, far too young to remember much after the game. In fact my main memory is nothing to do with the football or the fans. We'd moved house as a family the day before and me and my Dad walked half way home to our old house before the penny dropped that we were going completely the wrong way. My Dad hates United - 76 years old now. It never dims. He had a lot on his mind on that walk home! 

Was there but can’t remember a thing, except by then we’d accepted our fate and all was doom laden, not help by the lack of glitz and glamour because Frank had left. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was there but can’t remember a thing, except by then we’d accepted our fate and all was doom laden, not help by the lack of glitz and glamour because Frank had left. 

Aye, after that home game, the crowds for our remaining matches at BP went down dramatically.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

These memories are getting so old now they're more like bloody folklore. Be 40 years ago in April.