Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nicknames for folk at the Match

superjohnmcginlay

Bus driver

A chap in the 80s & 90s who you'd always see at Burnden in his brown GM Buses uniform.  He must have wangled something with his bosses for time off as I used to see him at away games too.

Last saw him around the time we left Burnden and I said to my mate, quietly I thought, "Hey up, bus drivers here" only for him to shout at me

"I've not worked on the buses for bloody years!"

You see the same faces in pubs and at the match all the time. You don't know their name, and you have never spoke, but you know they are Bolton. I couple of years back I got talking to some lads on the train back from Macclesfield and it turned out that I was one of them nameless faces. Apparently they gave me a nickname years ago. I asked what was it? A character out of Top Gun they said. Brilliant, Maveric? No they replied, it's Goose. It transpired that I look more like the featherd creature and not the fighter pilot.

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Underpants said:

You see the same faces in pubs and at the match all the time. You don't know their name, and you have never spoke, but you know they are Bolton. I couple of years back I got talking to some lads on the train back from Macclesfield and it turned out that I was one of them nameless faces. Apparently they gave me a nickname years ago. I asked what was it? A character out of Top Gun they said. Brilliant, Maveric? No they replied, it's Goose. It transpired that I look more like the featherd creature and not the fighter pilot.

morelike mr Burns from the simpsons

Years ago a couple of blokes used to sit on the front row of WSU a few rows in front of us

Saw them every home game, in Scott’s and at a few aways. Nodded hello and let on in Scott’s a few times. Never knew their names

One of them identified himself on a video on here taken at a train station coming back from an away (Preston?)

It was little whitt 

• Site Supporter

A fairly moody fucker and his lad used to sit behind us when we were in the corner of West Stand Lower. Both very short hair and looking fairly aggressive.
One game they both turned up in beige Chinos and got a load of grief from away fans as they went downstairs, (To Blue Moon) Chinos..., They've got the same Chinos, they've got the same Chinos.

So from that day on they were know collectively as the Chino Twins.

• Site Supporter
On 27/03/2020 at 02:37, BOWTUN BAKED said:

😂

Suffice to say the first away game after this horrible mess is concluded ... It's going to be one hell of a piss up & catch up.

We might even let Lord Farquar here join us in the cheap seats! 😉

In In In

On 01/04/2020 at 18:52, MancWanderer said:

Years ago a couple of blokes used to sit on the front row of WSU a few rows in front of us

Saw them every home game, in Scott’s and at a few aways. Nodded hello and let on in Scott’s a few times. Never knew their names

One of them exposed himself on a video on here taken at a train station coming back from an away (Preston?)

It was little whitt 

EFA

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 18:52, MancWanderer said:

One of them identified himself on a video on here taken at a train station coming back from an away (Preston?)

It was little whitt 

😂😂😂👍

On 26/03/2020 at 21:07, ZicoKelly said:

now i think about it

i think he looked like a cross between sam elliott and freddy boswell

Ronald%20Forfar%20%20'Bread'%20(1988)%20

Ha I know exactly who you mean

Given nickname names to loads over the years. @marple whites remember Flagman? Think he was a Salford lad...

Before we got to know him, we used to call Packy (may he rest easy) Big Grey Bear 😃

12 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Ha I know exactly who you mean

Given nickname names to loads over the years. @marple whites remember Flagman? Think he was a Salford lad...

Before we got to know him, we used to call Packy (may he rest easy) Big Grey Bear 😃

Yes a strange bloke, who went to the game on his own, wrapped himself in a flag, scarves round his wrists and talked to himself !

perfectly normal !