Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Furlough Roll Call


DazBob

Recommended Posts

I’m not begrudging anything anyone is getting paid. Far from it. I think it’s necessary and a very good move.

when it’s said and done it needs paying for as we all know. I just don’t see why everybody should pay 

and technically you’re claiming nothing. But the benefit it there. Irrespective of who is technically claiming it. The end user benefiting from it are those furloughed simple as that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Life isn’t fair. Taxes aren’t fair. Things happen outside of any of our control. The taxes will inevitably go up and if I’m lucky enough to still be in the job, I’ll happily pay my share. It’s the way the system works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Life isn’t fair. Taxes aren’t fair. Things happen outside of any of our control. The taxes will inevitably go up and if I’m lucky enough to still be in the job, I’ll happily pay my share. It’s the way the system works.

And that’s your view. I don’t share it. 
 

i also find life very fair on balance. And I find taxes fair and equitable as they stand currently. So again i have a different viewpoint 

Edited by Escobarp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I’m not begrudging anything anyone is getting paid. Far from it. I think it’s necessary and a very good move.

when it’s said and done it needs paying for as we all know. I just don’t see why everybody should pay 

and technically you’re claiming nothing. But the benefit it there. Irrespective of who is technically claiming it. The end user benefiting from it are those furloughed simple as that. 

Fair enough.

Right, I'm off to make a list of things I think I should contribute to and things I shouldn't. I'll then contact the tax office and demand a sizeable rebate after my 27 years of contributions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DazBob said:

Fair enough.

Right, I'm off to make a list of things I think I should contribute to and things I shouldn't. I'll then contact the tax office and demand a sizeable rebate after my 27 years of contributions.

Good for you. Enjoy that 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Not sure society is for you Escobarp. 

Why do you say that? Because I have a differing view on something? 
 

I pay my taxes and am happy to and pay a good whack of them but I accept that the more you earn the more you pay. In all honesty if they decided we all had to pay 5 or even 10% more tax to repay this it wouldn’t affect my lifestyle one iota. But I would begrudge paying it.
 

but in this instance I don’t feel I should pay the same (or likely more) than those furloughed. That’s all but if you then draw from that I’m not for society then that’s a very strange conclusion to reach but bash on 

Edited by Escobarp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s an idea. Take a flat 200 out of everyone wages each month and pop it in the furlough repayment pot. How does that sound to folk? Not a percentage of earnings as would be with taxation but a straight line sum out of every wage packet? That’s equitable? Would folk accept that? Or is that unfair and people earning more should have to contribute more? 
 

im just trying to find a way to repay this debt as it’s going to have to be repaid I accept that. I just think if we’ve all got to contribute which is likely to be the way it is  And despite my own views realistically it’s the only fair way of doing it then it’s got to be a fair way of doing it that’s all 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be a while before we start paying it back 

They will need to get the economy going, that needs spending, taking money out of peoples pockets won’t do that 

2-3 years of that, see some growth, then start to repay it slowly based on a growing economy 

The government borrow for next to nothing, interest wise it’s effectively free money, no need to race to pay it off 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree we need to concentrate on stimulating the economy.  The main thing to change that could impact that will be people’s cautiousness as this has been a huge shock to everyone’s system and it’s financially impacted a lot of folk who will need to play catch up on things and may well want to live with more wool on their backs in the future. Those things will significantly reduce consumer spending

even when we are free of this horrible virus it’s going to take an awful long time things to get back to where they were 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

It will be a while before we start paying it back 

They will need to get the economy going, that needs spending, taking money out of peoples pockets won’t do that 

2-3 years of that, see some growth, then start to repay it slowly based on a growing economy 

The government borrow for next to nothing, interest wise it’s effectively free money, no need to race to pay it off 

Spot on

loose money for quite a while

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
27 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Here’s an idea. Take a flat 200 out of everyone wages each month and pop it in the furlough repayment pot. How does that sound to folk? 

A bit shit

My lads on about 9 an hour at the local Morrison's dealing with anybody who wants to come within a couple of feet of him

Proper key worker

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Agree we need to concentrate on stimulating the economy.  The main thing to change that could impact that will be people’s cautiousness as this has been a huge shock to everyone’s system and it’s financially impacted a lot of folk who will need to play catch up on things and may well want to live with more wool on their backs in the future. Those things will significantly reduce consumer spending

even when we are free of this horrible virus it’s going to take an awful long time things to get back to where they were 

So, just so we've all got this straight...

Only those who have been furloughed should have to pay back what it has cost the government to fund the scheme? Presumably impose an extraordinarily high tax code for them? Of course this would mean they'd really feelingl the squeeze and mean they'd have much less disposable income ... which would certainly not be conducive to stimulating the economy. Not sure that makes any sense to me.

Mind you, as you clearly have so much money, maybe you can spend an extra 10% or 20% on consumer goods and stuff to do your bit for the economy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Casino said:

A bit shit

My lads on about 9 an hour at the local Morrison's dealing with anybody who wants to come within a couple of feet of him

Proper key worker

 

Tell him to contact the tax office to ensure his taxes don't go up after all this has ended. After all, he's not been furloughed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

So, just so we've all got this straight...

Only those who have been furloughed should have to pay back what it has cost the government to fund the scheme? Presumably impose an extraordinarily high tax code for them? Of course this would mean they'd really feelingl the squeeze and mean they'd have much less disposable income ... which would certainly not be conducive to stimulating the economy. Not sure that makes any sense to me.

Mind you, as you clearly have so much money, maybe you can spend an extra 10% or 20% on consumer goods and stuff to do your bit for the economy.

I don’t think anything should be paid back straight away as we need to focus on the economy and boosting it   But it needs paying back at some point  

but either way I know I’m going to have to contribute and will do so as the government decides fit. But it doesn’t mean I have to agree with it  and if you think constantly repeating my views to me is going to make me change my opinion then you will be disappointed sadly  

My household income hasn’t been affected I’m very fortunate and know that. And what I Earn or how much I have or don’t have to spend is a personal matter. 
and likewise what I choose to spend my money on is my Business entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Fair enough, no point engaging with you on this any more. 

Let's just hope you never need anything from anyone and then those that can help opt not to because they don't see why they should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway taxation and people’s finances are an emotive subject at the best of times and currently it’s even worse for folk understandably so I shall bow out of this debate as I’m mindful of that 

certainly no offence meant on my part 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

Fair enough, no point engaging with you on this any more. 

Let's just hope you never need anything from anyone and then those that can help opt not to because they don't see why they should.

That isn’t what I’m saying and you know zero about me or what I’ve chosen to do to help people close to me Through this time which is really really shit for some. I see it at very close quarters what this has done to some. 
 

so let’s leave it there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

at the end of the day, whatever it takes tax wise, we're all paying for it, whether we like it or not

just pretend in your mind you're paying for something else

Ha I wouldn’t take AIG health insurance at £2 a month because they couldn’t guarantee it could land in Gary Neville’s back pocket. I knew it was time for a career change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Ha I wouldn’t take AIG health insurance at £2 a month because they couldn’t guarantee it could land in Gary Neville’s back pocket. I knew it was time for a career change.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.