Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Furlough Roll Call

DazBob

My accountant’s “unofficial” stance was to claim and then work for clients “voluntarily”. At the point you are working for more than the furlough payment - you need to address whether you invoice them at a later date. 

I guess your clients would love you if you work for free. 

ZK - have you applied for your £10k grant? 

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Smiley said:

My accountant’s “unofficial” stance was to claim and then work for clients “voluntarily”. At the point you are working for more than the furlough payment - you need to address whether you invoice them at a later date. 

Dear god

Why do they bother ofdering support

And its no wonder think self employed are dodgy as fcuk

• Moderators
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Routine is the key I find 

get up like you normally would keep eating patterns same etc 

one day last week I didn’t get out of my pjs it wasn’t good 

First day for me

Got up at 4pm

Worn out though

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Take advantage of the settled weather and get out for some exercise whilst you can. Getting warmer at the weekend too.

Because I knew I didn't have to get up for work I didn't go to bed until gone 0130 last night. Normally in bed for 2230. Anyway I still woke up at the same time I would do if working. Had a big clear-out of the master bedroom. No excuse not to do it now. Fuck me, I've got some shit.

But yes, routine is the name of the game.

I reckon I'll be holed up for a month. I might have to start reading books once all the wings of Undies Towers are de-cluttered

Thought I'd finally sort my garage out over weekend, spent half a day shifting shit before realising can't take it to the tip so was pointless so opened another can. Covid will end up being far behind ale as the biggest killer in the next few months way things are going.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, freds dad said:

It doesn't affect me as I'm still going into work but my missus has furloughed her staff and one of them is thinking of getting a job at Tesco while she is off. Can they do this?

No.

They can get another job as long as it does not clash with the hours they would normally work.

So, they could get a job working evenings if their usual job is a nine to five, just like if you had a normal day job and worked in a pub at nights. What you can't do is work a new job while you should normally be at work in your furloughed job.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, DazBob said:

They can get another job as long as it does not clash with the hours they would normally work.

So, they could get a job working evenings if their usual job is a nine to five, just like if you had a normal day job and worked in a pub at nights. What you can't do is work a new job while you should normally be at work in your furloughed job.

I’d be careful.

The government are officially your “employer” when furloughed. I’m fairly sure in this case that they are paying you to stay indoors to contain a pandemic.

I imagine they’ll take a very dim view if anyone moonlighting.

I may be wrong, this was what our HR people put in the email to our employees.

• Members

Why would anyone want to take another job when you’re going to be paid 80% of your wage by the government to sit on your arse at home and not work during a global pandemic. 
That’s royally taking the piss. 

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’d be careful.

The government are officially your “employer” when furloughed. I’m fairly sure in this case that they are paying you to stay indoors to contain a pandemic.

I imagine they’ll take a very dim view if anyone moonlighting.

I may be wrong, this was what our HR people put in the email to our employees.

Oh, just to be clear, I'm not doing this and I certainly don't think anyone else should be either.

Legally though, the government are effectively taking over and paying your existing work contract. As long as you don't do any work that breaches the terms of this contract you're free to do other work as you please.

You'd like to think the majority of folk are doing the right thing and staying home though.

2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Why would anyone want to take another job when you’re going to be paid 80% of your wage by the government to sit on your arse at home and not work during a global pandemic. 
That’s royally taking the piss. 

I completely agree.

• Site Supporter

It may need to change somewhat soon.

If lockdown continues, many folk are going to be needed to work for food growers, as well as the distribution and delivery.

This might need furloughed workers from other industries. Maybe the government would reduce the furlough amount they pay a little, but it would have to be worthwhile for people to go and do these jobs.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It may need to change somewhat soon.

If lockdown continues, many folk are going to be needed to work for food growers, as well as the distribution and delivery.

This might need furloughed workers from other industries. Maybe the government would reduce the furlough amount they pay a little, but it would have to be worthwhile for people to go and do these jobs.

True. Personally, I'd be more than happy to drive a delivery van or similar if this is going to be a long haul. Not arsed about pulling a massive wage as such, just something to mix up the days.

Would take 50% furlough if a part time job pays the other 30%