Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Liverpool fan I think, heard he had finance type job in London and was doing well for himself. 

Camberley it is.

Friend of Tony Longworth who died last year.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

This Con. He didn't work at the loco works did be? 

Famed for "Conrad BWFC"  graffiti that appeared on tv on Inspector Morse or some similar show filmed in Oxford.

We traveled to games on free railway passes. 

Bristol City got a bit hairy so he sneaked us back home on a coach that dropped us at Albion. 

Nope, a different Con. The one from the Sweet Green was tall ,  slimmish build & quite a few years older.

The other one was smaller & as others have said, worked in insurance or something similar. I don't know if he'd worked at the Loco Works previously. iirc he was a mate of Benny of the Wogden lot.

3 hours ago, bolton va va said:

2 more of them were staunch Bolton fans Quiggers & Con, who like all the rest, had trips to Rangers.

Is that MG with red hair ? if so, he's still around & has been on some of the reunion do's, if MT was the mate of MG, he sadly died years ago. Don't know the other two.

I completely agree with the sentiment, but the massive majority of them are just armchair wankers who have never been to a game in their lives & wouldn't make any difference to our finances.

That's really sad news regarding Malc Taylor and yes his friend and mine did have red hair so I assume its them. How do you know them?

Not seen them for 40 years or so

• Members
16 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I just find that weird. Except if you have connections with Glasgow, if not why not support Forfar? Glory hunting in Scotland. 🤣😂🤣

I first went to Ibrox when I was around 8 years old. Family connections. They beat Falkirk 4-0 and the big hero then was a bloke called Jim Forrest. As some on here will know, one of the main organisers of minibus trips up there in the late 70's, early 80's was the son of the BWFC Secretary. I went on a few of his trips and many of them were top drawer days out.

The attraction for others who randomly go up there from England I believe is the pro British (and to an extent anti IRA) sentiment. Chelsea corner would be a good example.

Scottish fans of Rangers wearing England shirts and supporting England warms my cockles. Whether it pisses some folk off or not worries me not one iota. The suppport for our military is second to none. The most loyal of the loyal.

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I first went to Ibrox when I was around 8 years old. Family connections. They beat Falkirk 4-0 and the big hero then was a bloke called Jim Forrest. As some on here will know, one of the main organisers of minibus trips up there in the late 70's, early 80's was the son of the BWFC Secretary. I went on a few of his trips and many of them were top drawer days out.

The attraction for others who randomly go up there from England I believe is the pro British (and to an extent anti IRA) sentiment. Chelsea corner would be a good example.

Scottish fans of Rangers wearing England shirts and supporting England warms my cockles. Whether it pisses some folk off or not worries me not one iota. The suppport for our military is second to none. The most loyal of the loyal.

Was it Steve Rothwell who ran the coach? 

I get the pro U.K. stance and if it a bothers IRA scum all well and good, yes if I had Glaswegian ancestors, (nearest Scottish was my Grandad’s family from Peebles who died before I was born) but for me it’s just the one club and always has been. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was it Steve Rothwell who ran the coach? 

I get the pro U.K. stance and if it a bothers IRA scum all well and good, yes if I had Glaswegian ancestors, (nearest Scottish was my Grandad’s family from Peebles who died before I was born) but for me it’s just the one club and always has been. 

Close mate but the christian name begins with a D. 

My uncle (mums brother) joined the Black Watch and married a girl from Newton Mearns. Family of hardcore bluenoses.

My old man (who a couple off here know) was a long distance lorry driver for Forth Transport who had a depot in Radcliffe. Deliveries to all points north and I used to go regularly with him - especially during any school holidays. All over Scotland, names like Fort William, Bridge of Don, Peterhead etc. all very familiar to me by the time I reached double figure age.

Blokes at the Glasgow depot were all also of the blue side. Went to games with a few of them. A couple of them later came down and camped with us in Tonge Moor whilst St. Peters Way was being constructed. They'd bought a couple of tipper trucks and did alright contracting for that construction. I remember vividly when Celtic won the European Cup in Lisbon in '67. We were all sat around a black and white TV watching it in Tintern Avenue. I quickly learned right from wrong when Celtic scored and I cheered "for the British team". 'They're nae fucking British' with a scowl that would have turned a samaritan to stone. I hadn't realised up to that point that everyone else there desperately wanted Inter to win!

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Kicked off between us and Rangers in Portugal didn’t it? They played Porto the night before Guimaraes.

I wasn’t there so just going off hearsay. 

I seem to recall it prompted anewman to throw his Rangers shirt in the bin and stop pretending he was a supporter

On 05/04/2020 at 12:40, Farrelli said:

I think if it’s the same bloke I remember Dapper was a Halliwell lad known to shout “you know what to do, give it some ooo”. 

I remembered later that the bloke I was referring to was Ivan, mates with Damper Des I think 

1 hour ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Kicked off between us and Rangers in Portugal didn’t it? They played Porto the night before Guimaraes.

Think a Bolton fan donned a Celtic shirt was in the vicinity but in a bar, we vacated the area soon after and bumped into plenty of rangers fans who’d done the same and they were sound as a pound. 

12 hours ago, bolty58 said:

A reminder of our green and pleasant land, spot the England flag in the background.

DSCF0886.jpg

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

We were there earlier but it was pretty obvious what was likely to happen later when enough ale had been consumed. We were happily ensconced in a bar round the corner when it was going off & as Mounts said there were Gers fans in there who were sound. 

4 hours ago, Happy Wanderer said:

Has anyone mentioned when Bolton took the shed at Chelsea? 😆

Think Bolton went in shed night cup match late 60s think we drew there and got battered 0-6 in replay, it perhaps explains Chelsea coming to Fulham v Bolton in 74 and attacking Bolton fans, was my first away game and I was too quick for them. 😂

11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think Bolton went in shed night cup match late 60s think we drew there and got battered 0-6 in replay, it perhaps explains Chelsea coming to Fulham v Bolton in 74 and attacking Bolton fans, was my first away game and I was too quick for them. 😂

Just looked it up & it was 71-72 season, I was too young to go to the night league cup match, but by all accounts Bolton caught them by surprise & very much got the better of the punch ups. Then, later in the season we drew them away in the FA Cup ( i went on the special ) & Chelsea were after revenge , it was murder in the ground & then  more got twatted getting back to Euston.  Quite scary .

I don't think Chelsea ever forgot about that league cup game & Bolton, because the 1-0 win there was another tough trip ( there was so much trouble round the coaches after, that the police made them go, leaving a few Bolton fans behind) & the taking of the Lever End was pre- planned.

8 hours ago, Farrelli said:

I remembered later that the bloke I was referring to was Ivan, mates with Damper Des I think 

Some older mates at away games in the 80s used to point out "Ivan" as a seasoned ringleader.  Always seemed to wear a sheepskin coat, had a prominent tache, I'm fairly sure he's still a regular in ESL.

• Moderators

Up until a couple of years back, he was wsl, so good to hear he's still going

One time, we had the high ground at a yerksher station and some mob or other wanted a ruck 

He had a beer in one hand and a butty in the other

He watched them come up the steps, one last swig and bosh over the head

On the deck

On 06/04/2020 at 16:30, MickyD said:

I wonder if many latched onto Bolton during the relative glory days of Bolton in the Djorkaeff,  Okocha, etc., days.

Are there many out of towners with no geographical or family ties to the club? 

Edit - I ask because I recall the days when you could buy a replica shirt in most large sports shops in many towns. 

After the move and tied with that era we gained loads this side of bolton. 

There was already a decent core in Chorley, leyland, euxton etc. That era and the reebok certainly cemented that. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I was at all three games. We took loads to the League Cup game and caught them out. Went early morning on Gary F coach. The Chelsea in our end got a good kicking and after the match Bolton took over a pub near the ground. Our coach didn't leave until late and loads went on the rampage smashing up the place.

In the FA Cup game Chelsea were in our end early and as we were walking down Bolton were jumping over the turnstiles to get away. A lot of us went in and was separated with the police who were cunts and let Chelsea just what the wanted without stopping them.

3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I was at all three games. We took loads to the League Cup game and caught them out. Went early morning on Gary F coach. The Chelsea in our end got a good kicking and after the match Bolton took over a pub near the ground. Our coach didn't leave until late and loads went on the rampage smashing up the place.

In the FA Cup game Chelsea were in our end early and as we were walking down Bolton were jumping over the turnstiles to get away. A lot of us went in and was separated with the police who were cunts and let Chelsea just what the wanted without stopping them.

Not many must of gone on the Shed back in the day, who the fuck had that idea and did our lot get kicked out or stay the whole match. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not many must of gone on the Shed back in the day, who the fuck had that idea and did our lot get kicked out or stay the whole match. 

From memory I don't believe we were on the shed but we had a lot more there than they could imagine and the Chelsea fans on our end who had a go got run and a good kicking