Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not many must of gone on the Shed back in the day, who the fuck had that idea and did our lot get kicked out or stay the whole match. 

It wasn’t the Shed, it was the North Stand on the opposite end.

• Site Supporter
On 06/04/2020 at 16:42, MickyD said:

Famed for "Conrad BWFC"  graffiti that appeared on tv on Inspector Morse or some similar show filmed in Oxford.

On 06/04/2020 at 21:43, parrybones said:

Watching the sweeney yesterday and on a wall was sprayed CON BWFC he was from horwich

I've got my John Thaw programmes mixed up

Going back to the Charlton game when we got relegated. A tidy form of "boys" went on the train via Wigan that day, bumping into a mob of Preston who had at landed at Wigan very early for their game. All hell ensued at North Western that day.

Bumped into the same lot of Preston a year later on our last away of the season when we took a huge mob of lads on the train.

Some of us drifted off, pretty sure it was B from L/H who got a flying bottle or glass on the head when we were scuffling in a side street....our lot armed with the little JIF bottles which didn't contain lemon for some daft reason 😉

Next away game after that was Rochdale in the Lancs Cup pre season,....fine mob of ours out that day......a good 300 outside the Flemish Weaver pub or was it the Merry Weaver ?

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Going back to the Charlton game when we got relegated. A tidy form of "boys" went on the train via Wigan that day, bumping into a mob of Preston who had at landed at Wigan very early for their game. All hell ensued at North Western that day.

Bumped into the same lot of Preston a year later on our last away of the season when we took a huge mob of lads on the train.

Some of us drifted off, pretty sure it was B from L/H who got a flying bottle or glass on the head when we were scuffling in a side street....our lot armed with the little JIF bottles which didn't contain lemon for some daft reason 😉

Next away game after that was Rochdale in the Lancs Cup pre season,....fine mob of ours out that day......a good 300 outside the Flemish Weaver pub or was it the Merry Weaver ?

Aye, that was Preston's first ever visit in a league game at Wigan that day.

• Members
6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think Bolton went in shed night cup match late 60s think we drew there and got battered 0-6 in replay, it perhaps explains Chelsea coming to Fulham v Bolton in 74 and attacking Bolton fans, was my first away game and I was too quick for them. 😂

We caught them completely by surprise that night. They got a right seeing to in the Shed then we walked around under the main stand to the North Stand where the real Chelsea hardnuts stood (probably the equivalent of our Warbys). Even encountered a few Gooners under the main stand that night as any who went may remember. They didn't last long (still have no idea why they were there unless it was a 'keeping in fighting trim training exercise' like we used to regularly carry out at Gigg Lane taking on all comers when we couldn't afford to travel to Plymouth or Portsmouth etc.).

Once in the North Stand nothing happened other than we got on the piss with their lads and a good night was had by all. They'd recently been to Salonika in the Cup Winnners Cup (I think it was the ECWC?) and were telling us the tales of their escapades. Every few minutes they'd sing a song about some poor fucker who'd had his nose modified by a Greek policemans baton. Struggling to remember the lads surname but they were singing about 'his staircase nose'.

The replay was another game I don't want to remember. They fucking slaughtered us on the pitch that night with that excellent team they had with Osgood, Tambling, Webb, Bonetti, Cooke etc. (was Venables in that team? Can't remember).

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

I remember talking to Russ (Bony) from Horwich at the game , he was a friend of Tony Longworth (RIP), & one of his mates had a fuckin big lump in the middle of his forehead where he'd been hit by a flying brick at Wigan, so that's obviously the same incident.

They were that bit younger than me so I don't really know them.

On the train back, one of them left a 'present' in a polystyrene box on the top shelf of the buffet bar. 💩

Police chased everybody around Wigan on the way back too.

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

We caught them completely by surprise that night. They got a right seeing to in the Shed then we walked around under the main stand to the North Stand where the real Chelsea hardnuts stood (probably the equivalent of our Warbys). Even encountered a few Gooners under the main stand that night as any who went may remember. They didn't last long (still have no idea why they were there unless it was a 'keeping in fighting trim training exercise' like we used to regularly carry out at Gigg Lane taking on all comers when we couldn't afford to travel to Plymouth or Portsmouth etc.).

Once in the North Stand nothing happened other than we got on the piss with their lads and a good night was had by all. They'd recently been to Salonika in the Cup Winnners Cup (I think it was the ECWC?) and were telling us the tales of their escapades. Every few minutes they'd sing a song about some poor fucker who'd had his nose modified by a Greek policemans baton. Struggling to remember the lads surname but they were singing about 'his staircase nose'.

The replay was another game I don't want to remember. They fucking slaughtered us on the pitch that night with that excellent team they had with Osgood, Tambling, Webb, Bonetti, Cooke etc. (was Venables in that team? Can't remember).

1) Bonetti

2) Dempsey

3) Harris

4) Webb

5) Boyle 

6) Cooke (1)

7) Hollins (2 )(1PEN)

8)Houseman

9) Hudson

10) Baldwin (3)

11) Osgood

Edited by dusan nikolic

20 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

I’ve got a ring binder full of clippings. I used to troll through the microfilms at Bolton library. Got the paper after the Blackpool game 1974. It’s great to read through all the old headlines. 

Are the Microfilms still available? , I've got some match reports I'm after , I may have to have a run there , when this current mess is cleared.

Here’s some newspaper headlines from the BEN.  Can you guess which matches they come from:

1: Burnden fans face rail ban

2: Burnden battle: ... and the police blame the Bolton thugs

3: Shame of Bolton soccer fans. Hooligans in battle at friendly

4: Cup invasion fans rapped

5: Soccer thugs in pitched battle terror.

6: Shameful. Now Bolton louts may face FA ban

7: Fans in pub siege

8: Kill the bill taunt as mob corners police. 

9: Soccer thugs KO away fan in brawl.

10: Armfields plea do something.

4 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Here’s some newspaper headlines from the BEN.  Can you guess which matches they come from:

1: Burnden fans face rail ban

2: Burnden battle: ... and the police blame the Bolton thugs

3: Shame of Bolton soccer fans. Hooligans in battle at friendly

4: Cup invasion fans rapped

5: Soccer thugs in pitched battle terror.

6: Shameful. Now Bolton louts may face FA ban

7: Fans in pub siege

8: Kill the bill taunt as mob corners police. 

9: Soccer thugs KO away fan in brawl.

10: Armfields plea do something.

Bolton fans about 1969 ransacked through Blackburn town centre; early train packed full of Bolton and they went into their market throwing fruit and turning over stalls. One of my mates got hit with an apple on the back of his head; probably improved him though. Wonder if there is anything in the old newspapers about that