Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

7 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

1-1 draw that day as so many of our visits there seem to finish. I get the impression they have been in a permanent state of wanting revenge ever since 74 but have never had the numbers - home or away.

The following season at B/pool in Mar 77 was the season i got jumped, i strayed after the match wearing colours. They were due one, only went in a shop for some ale and cigs for the train and set upon. Stragglers R Us.😀

• Moderators

As for fleetwood, that was the main evidence used against another who was gammad

Big mon, had a bright orange jumper on, which probably wasnt the ideal chouce for blending in

Hes probably very busy these days, bearing in mind his line of work

B/Pool away in the Lancs/Manx Cup was brutal for Bolton that day in July 77, only time iv'e seen us on the back foot, no mither before the game and taking it to them after the game, but our following that day was pitiful for a mickey mouse match on a hot summers day and got ambushed all over the place on the way back.

On 07/04/2020 at 22:19, Steejay said:

There was a small covered stand, surrounded by the open terrace and that was for away fans but there wasn’t any segregation and there were lots of Chelsea mixed in.

It was a rum trip the FA cup game .We had night out in Manchester before getting the after midnight train to Euston which got in about 6am .Not much kip breakfast in greasy joes & then a bit of a walk around London to sober up .A Genesis concert ended around the same time & all the hippy types piled out .We got some strange looks dressed in our tapping suits .One lad a Stretford  rag from Farnworth Saddle who we bumped into in Manchester decided to come with us because he ‘hated Chelsea’ he maybe regretted his decision the following day.

When the pubs opened near the ground we were first in a boozer opposite the ground adjacent to the away end.After another session some of our lot got up to sing a few Bolton songs on the pub stage which actually went down ok at first .When things started to turn a bit fiesty the landlord told us to desist but didn’t chuck us out so we stayed drinking until just before ko.When we got out into the daylight their were lines of kids telling us we were going to get pummelled when got into the ground which was fair warning because we did .Although two or three went straight into the bar inside the ground & missed all the fun.BW the Farnworth manc got a bit of a pasting but to be fair he was game.He kept shouting ‘I’ll be back with the reds to sort you lot out !’My mate got ejected from the away end but coppers threw him into the Shed after deciding not to press charges.Happy days!

9 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

It was a rum trip the FA cup game .We had night out in Manchester before getting the after midnight train to Euston which got in about 6am .Not much kip breakfast in greasy joes & then a bit of a walk around London to sober up .A Genesis concert ended around the same time & all the hippy types piled out .We got some strange looks dressed in our tapping suits .One lad a Stretford  rag from Farnworth Saddle who we bumped into in Manchester decided to come with us because he ‘hated Chelsea’ he maybe regretted his decision the following day.

When the pubs opened near the ground we were first in a boozer opposite the ground adjacent to the away end.After another session some of our lot got up to sing a few Bolton songs on the pub stage which actually went down ok at first .When things started to turn a bit fiesty the landlord told us to desist but didn’t chuck us out so we stayed drinking until just before ko.When we got out into the daylight their were lines of kids telling us we were going to get pummelled when got into the ground which was fair warning because we did .Although two or three went straight into the bar inside the ground & missed all the fun.BW the Farnworth manc got a bit of a pasting but to be fair he was game.He kept shouting ‘I’ll be back with the reds to sort you lot out !’My mate got ejected from the away end but coppers threw him into the Shed after deciding not to press charges.Happy days!

The Midnight Train from Manc, loads of stories to tell about that in my youth, we must have stunk like fuck of beer and BO and straggly hair in the 70s 😀

First time I saw Ivan was the last away game of relegation season 1980/81 away at Ipswich, we were in the away end with just a few hundred whites in low key mood as we were already relegated,  when out of the blue and in the Ipswich seats saw a mob of Lads clambering across the seats lead by what looked like a long haired mad man must have been a coach load who’d arrived late they were quickly led around the ground to the Bolton end, Ivan at the front leading the chants as they marched into our end. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

19 hours ago, leigh white said:

The Midnight Train from Manc, loads of stories to tell about that in my youth, we must have stunk like fuck of beer and BO and straggly hair in the 70s 😀

Speak for yourself ‘Brut splash it on all over’ was the mantra but yeh after 24 hrs we must have been minging 😀

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, Fred perry said:

Off the Top of my head, Flecky, Joe Joint, Glen Williams,Jeff Fernley, could be more I've been overseas for 20yrs.

Glyn Williams - Lambretta TV175 I think?

Jeff Fearnley in the year below me at Sunning Hill primary. I gave him 2 Scotland rosettes after my Grandad took me to Wembley in ‘67.

I was at the B/pool game 74  i was 14 at the time  I went with mates from Atherton on the train it  was a  mad day ..police tried keeping everyone  on  the kop including  Blackpool  behind to take names & addresses  but loads of us ran accross the pitch  & got out the other end ..me & my older brother got the X60 bus back to Bolton wich took about 4 hrs cos police kept stopping buses & coaches  ..searching for blood on scarves etc ...anyway went again 77/ 78 ish  & was involved  in trouble from morning  through to about 10.30 at night  ..police kept splitting us up  before the game  & me & lad called L ... from  o/hulton got in the ground after K O the opposite end to the kop  cos that was the plan  ..that's where their  main  crew went  ..but me & L  were too late it had already  gone off & police were taking Bolton accross  the pitch so we tried to get  down & jump over  but we got sussed   got punched & kicked  off a few of theirs  but managed  to get out over the turnstiles  ...afterwards  their was loads of bother all over & B/pool were well up for it too  ...even on the pier at one stage  & nr Talbot rd bus stn  ..a very lively day ... I was involved  & around loads of stuff  ( not always by choice) from  76 ish  to early 80's   ...I still go to games on & off aways as well  &   still see plenty old faces  .  I went to Packie's funeral RIP  he was from round my end originally  ..there were plenty old heads there that day      ..On a funny note  me & some mates in early 70's  used to refer to the Warbie's  as the Bolton fatties  as most of um seemed to have beer bellies & beards  & when they charged at away fans on the embankment  it always seemed like a slow heavy charge    But they were Effective  charges !